LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 09-26-2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
2017 Deluxe 28 SHO or Platinum 30 SHO?

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forums and really to snow blowers. Currently we have a Cub Cadet riding lawn mower with a 42" snow thrower attachment that I'm looking to get rid of and buy an stand alone unit. My time is valuable and I hate having to mess around with switching things over, getting the chains on the wheels (this is the most frustrating part) and honestly the poor build quality of the snow thrower. Not to mention, this last winter it felt like it was really struggling, especially with the wet heavy snow we had here in WI.

Ariens is made in WI, which is where I'm from so it's always a popular choice and I've heard nothing but good things over the years. I have been reading and I'm on the fence between the Deluxe 28 SHO (this is what I went to the dealer to purchase but he showed me the Platinum 30" SHO for just $400 more) and the Platinum 30 SHO. Now, I've heard these are buy it for life purchases but after spending a few hours reading here there are some people (SnoThro) who don't believe this. I'm wondering if I should avoid an Ariens and pick up one of the Honda units? It's a lot of money to spend but this is something I plan to keep for a LONG time.

I was actually going to go after work tonight and put the money down on the Platinum 30" SHO (I like the bigger engine, the hand warmers and quick chute are nice but not my main concern for buying the platinum) but after reading here I'm not sure what to do.

I'm also able to pick up the 2016 Platinum 30" SHO for 1599 or 1699 for the 2017. I'd probably pick up the 2017 because of the change they made with the auto-turn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-26-2016, 08:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
If money is not an issue, I'd go with the Platinum 30 hands down. More power, more size, = quicker time you can get things done if that is your goal. Add to that, you are supporting a local US based business with spectacular customer service and who appreciates you as a customer. The 414 engine is a beast and every bit as good in my personal opinion as the overpriced Honda. Hondas are awesome machines too, but you are paying for a name and that's about it now a days. If money is an issue and those few hundred dollars matter, go with the SHO then. Either way, you will NOT regret it. Just get it purchased and be done with the worrying and look forward to grinning when you fire her up this winter.

Cheers!

Platinum 30
Engine: Ariens AX 414cc Gen 3
Throws Snow 55 ft
Housing: 30​"w, 21" h
Super High Output Impeller

Deluxe 28SHO
​​​​Engine: Ariens AX 306cc Gen 3
Throws Snow 55 ft
Housing: 28"w, 21" h
Super High Output Impeller​
post #3 of 28 Old 09-26-2016, 09:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextar View Post
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forums and really to snow blowers. Currently we have a Cub Cadet riding lawn mower with a 42" snow thrower attachment that I'm looking to get rid of and buy an stand alone unit. My time is valuable and I hate having to mess around with switching things over, getting the chains on the wheels (this is the most frustrating part) and honestly the poor build quality of the snow thrower. Not to mention, this last winter it felt like it was really struggling, especially with the wet heavy snow we had here in WI.

Ariens is made in WI, which is where I'm from so it's always a popular choice and I've heard nothing but good things over the years. I have been reading and I'm on the fence between the Deluxe 28 SHO (this is what I went to the dealer to purchase but he showed me the Platinum 30" SHO for just $400 more) and the Platinum 30 SHO. Now, I've heard these are buy it for life purchases but after spending a few hours reading here there are some people (SnoThro) who don't believe this. I'm wondering if I should avoid an Ariens and pick up one of the Honda units? It's a lot of money to spend but this is something I plan to keep for a LONG time.

I was actually going to go after work tonight and put the money down on the Platinum 30" SHO (I like the bigger engine, the hand warmers and quick chute are nice but not my main concern for buying the platinum) but after reading here I'm not sure what to do.

I'm also able to pick up the 2016 Platinum 30" SHO for 1599 or 1699 for the 2017. I'd probably pick up the 2017 because of the change they made with the auto-turn.
aboard!

Everyone has "their opinion" as to what is the best. Everyone's needs are different personally I am a big Ariens fan. I have had good experiences with their customer support and products. They build a quality product at a fair price. Read all the actual customer reviews out there to genuinely reinforce this not just an often biased opinion. Honda also builds an excellent machine after all only 2 manufacturers of many devote resources to participate on this forum Robert from Honda and Mary Lynn from Ariens.

Personally I am very happy with my Ariens machine, you can watch my walkaround vids under my signature if you have trouble sleeping. My Platinum 24 SHO is a good fit for my needs. I would go with the 2017 Platinum 30 SHO if there is only a $100. difference if it were $200. or more I would probably go with the 2016 model. You may also want to look at the Pro 28, it seems like your dealer prices aggressively. I am confident these maches will last a very long time with proper maintenance (switch to synthetic after first or second oil change, always use a good fuel stabilizer like Star Tron or Marine Sta-Bil when fueling). Yes the Honda engines are better built than LCT's but unless we are talking extreme winter conditions/storing your machine outside under a tarp it may not be worth the extra money for your needs. I often mention my 1995 MTD model 640F that I bought in the mid 90's at Costco that served me well for nearly 20 years before I sold it for a few hundred. Good maintence pays large dividends.

If I lived in a snow belt and had a need for a really beefy tracked model I would go with a Honda over an Ariens in this $2500.+ segment. So I am open minded.

Best of luck on your search, you have narrowed it down to some good choices.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cardo111; 09-26-2016 at 10:48 PM.
post #4 of 28 Old 09-26-2016, 09:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 22
I'm also purchasing a new Ariens this year - the Platinum 24 SHO with EFI (should arrive in about 2 weeks - so they say).

In my case, I deliberated between the Deluxe 30 EFI, and Platinum 24 EFI. I went with the Platinum primarily because of of the Quick Turn Chute (vs. the "coffee grinder" on the Deluxe), and the larger engine. I just prefer to not reach over the dash each time I have to turn the chute - which is often given the shape of my driveway. But, our driveway isn't wide, so a 24" bucket works fine.

In your case, you're choosing between 2 excellent machines. Most people with Deluxe 28 SHO's love them. But, I'd also go with the Platinum 30. That 414cc engine means you'll never show-up underpowered. Engine muscle is nice for the that EOD crud we have to deal with. That power + a 30" bucket = little time outside. As much as we love our snowblowers, the goal is to get inside quickly.

I also agree with your decision to go for the 2017 model. The repositioned axel on the new machines (moved closer to the auger) is said to address all issues related to the "wandering" some have experienced with Autoturn. Not worth saving a hundred dollars to forego the re-engineered solution. As you said, you'll be keeping this machine for a long time.
post #5 of 28 Old 09-26-2016, 09:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Smile Welcome Aboard!

Go big! 2017 Ariens 30 Platinum SHO. You'll never look back!

post #6 of 28 Old 09-26-2016, 09:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 22
Here's a useful link to "Movingsnow.com" where Paul Sikkema provides an overview of this year's Arien's models:

2016 Ariens Snow Blowers - What's New - and Exciting! - MovingSnow.com

In Paul's estimation, the 2017 chassis modification to enhance Autoturn performance, now allows him to rate both the Deluxe and Platinum models as: "The best in the industry for throwing distance, capacity and long life".

Paul tends to be well-regarded on this forum, and he's been reviewing, utilizing and repairing blowers for a long time. In his estimation, Ariens is the gold standard.

Last edited by Strato; 09-26-2016 at 10:01 PM.
post #7 of 28 Old 09-26-2016, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I guess my biggest concern was their use of plastic parts but I think I'll end up going to my dealer tomorrow and sign the papers on the 2017 Platinum 30" SHO. Thanks everyone!
post #8 of 28 Old 09-26-2016, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
One quick question, how often should I be checking the gas tank? As with almost every engine the last thing I want to do is run out of gas while blowing. Should I run about 30 minutes then check it? We have a duplex with an upper and lower drive way that I will be clearing.

I can use standard 5w30 synthetic oil? Is it safe to run Seafoam through it at the end of the season? I'll be getting a free cover included, I may end up buying the mat too. Anything else I should pick up? Snow-jet worth it? Sorry I'm asking so many questions, I want to make sure I take care of this investment!
post #9 of 28 Old 09-26-2016, 11:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
I think 30 min is about right.
post #10 of 28 Old 09-27-2016, 10:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Smile no stress, this isn't rocket science...

The plastic they use in these machines will withstand extremely cold temps. Nothing to worry about.
Run it for a few hours, 2-5, then by all means use 5w30 synthetic oil, change it once a year.
Use non-ethanol gas, if you can't find it in you area, use this stuff, Lucas Oil Safeguard, it's an ethanol neutralizer and gas stabilizer, I've had it last 5-6 months. I'm lucky as there are indian reservations around me that sell non-ethanol gas in all grades. I still use this stuff, it's expensive but you only need 1 ounce per 5 gallons of gas.
As for Seafoam, can't hurt. Personally I use Mechanic In A Bottle once in awhile, expensive but doesn't take much.

Last edited by stromr; 10-03-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page