Ariens 10,000 and 924000 series strength between HP models?? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 Old 09-29-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Ariens 10,000 and 924000 series strength between HP models??

I've been reading a lot on the different models out there and I'm looking at getting a 10,000 series or the 924000 series.

Is there a difference in the rest of the machine (not the engine) between the different HP models in either series. I see that over the span of each series that there are changes, but that seems to be simply updated designs etc. I'm more concerned with any integral changes to strength between the different HP models in these two series. A yes/no is sufficient unless anyone knows specific information.

Thank you for any input or information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 09-29-2016, 03:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 347
Likes (Received): 648
10000 Series Machines with the Locking Differential are Excellent High Quality Machines that do Not have Gearbox Issues. The 24" Machines have a Great "Feel" to them. My Personal Machine is a Repowered 1965 24" with Tall Chute and Impeller Seal. Works Great and Throws it Far. Highly Recommended.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks live4soccer7 thanked for this post
Likes Georgegn liked this post
post #3 of 57 Old 09-29-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Are there any functional features on the 924000 series that are not available on the 10,000 series?

Do you know about the strength of the machines between the difference HP models though? I do want to find one with a locking diff.

Does the locking/unlocking diff effect the use of any attachments?
post #4 of 57 Old 09-29-2016, 06:25 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
The basic difference is the 10,000 series was a direct drive impeller (like mechanical touching of parts) whereas the 924 series used a second belt to drive the auger/impeller. Depending on years some early models could and would have the ability to go on their own without operator presence, so there can be some safety concerns. I don't think anybody familiar with these machines would say a 7hp is less "strong" than a 12hp, mechanically. They can and will accept much higher power plants. The non-differential models are harder to turn and use without a doubt. If there is a common weak link it's likely the weight of the entire blower can cause axle bearing/bushing wear. Personally I think they all have too low of handlebars. That said I run a '79 slightly modified 924 series I wouldn't sell for any price right now and it doesn't have a differential. It's bear to move around and turns like an aging Aunt in a mall parking lot, but straight line it throws snow like crazy.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks live4soccer7 thanked for this post
post #5 of 57 Old 09-29-2016, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you very much for that information.

Do all the models in the 10,000 series have the same functionality up at the handle bars or were there additional options there as well?

I know some came with headlights and electric start. Any other standout features that wouldn't be on all models?

Does having a differential model change the ability of it to accept "trac-team" attachments?
post #6 of 57 Old 09-29-2016, 07:36 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Trac team was year specific. Have you ever seen Moderator Scot's site? He has compiled a great number of Ariens pdf's and info:The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site.
post #7 of 57 Old 09-30-2016, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes, I've read nearly every word on his site regarding the ariens snowblowers.

I'm curious if the locking diff option effects the use of the attachments at all?

I know some came with headlights, diff option, and electric start. Any other standout features that wouldn't be on all models in the 10,000 series?
post #8 of 57 Old 10-02-2016, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
bump.

Anyone know anything on these Qs:

I'm curious if the locking diff option effects the use of the attachments at all?

I know some came with headlights, diff option, and electric start. Any other standout features that wouldn't be on all models in the 10,000 series?
post #9 of 57 Old 10-05-2016, 02:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by live4soccer7 View Post
bump.

Anyone know anything on these Qs:

The locking differential has no effect on the use of attachments. The differential axle and locked axle are direct swaps on the standard tractor and have no effect on the two mounting points for the blower housing/attachments. I would imagine the attachments only work on 10,000 series machines due to the change from direct drive to belt drive when the 924000 rolled around.

Headlights are hard to come by with the older machines. I believe they were mostly an option on some of the rarer 32" models. You'd have to see a bigger tecumseh with an alternator for that.

My machine:
1979 Ariens 924039 (24", 8hp w/ differential)
post #10 of 57 Old 10-05-2016, 07:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 264
One thing I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned on the 924 series is it has a much safer wheel-drive-control scheme.

If you're familiar with the term "deadman control", that's what the 924 and later machines have... if you let go of the wheel "clutch" lever, the machine stops.

The 10,000 and earlier series are exactly the opposite. You squeeze the lever to stop the machine, and when you let go it moves. Which is fine 99% of the time but if you slip and fall on a patch of ice or have a heart attack or something and let go of the handle, the machine will take off and start consuming everything in its path.

The newer machines are also safer in that the auger drive works the same way... you squeeze a handle to engage it, and when you let go it disengages. On the older ones there's a lever down by the chute for that function, and once you put it in the engaged position it stays there.

As others have said, some of the things you mentioned like headlights and lockable diff are options, and were available on both series. The same applies to electric start, but that's more a feature of the engine so if the engine has been replaced, the presence of a starter may not match what's expected for the model.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes JD in NJ liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page