Early 70's Ariens 10,000 Series? Question - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-29-2016, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Early 70's Ariens 10,000 Series? Question

I have a OLD Ariens snowblower. From a website I found, The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site.
I think it's a late 60's or early 70's 10,000 series. It has the square chute, the dual levers to disengage the impellers.

Two years back, the engine died. I think the crankshaft broke. I ditched the engine and got a used SnowKing engine from a local shop. The snowblower never has really performed that well since. The new (used) engine seems to run fine, but it will bog down with as little as 4-5 inches of snow in 2nd gear. I got thinking about the pulley size on the new (used) engine, I never really thought about removing the pulley from the original Ariens engine. I'm thinking the pulley on the new (used) engine I have now is too small and not powering the impellers/drive train of the blower to full speed. I did have to shim the new engine off the plate a little for the belt to be tight when engaged (hind sight).

Could someone tell me what the factory engine pulley diameter is supposed to be? I'm thinking if I put the proper size pulley back on the new (used) engine, it will perform like it should.

PS The New (used) engine is I think a 12HP, which I think is larger than the factory one. Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-29-2016, 11:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Welcome to the forum....!
How is the blower speed compared to before (if it is slower than you do have a smaller pulley, but if it is faster you actually have a larger pulley compared to what you had), older blowers had smaller pulleys than later ones.
I think that you may have an engine issue, carburetor perhaps.... try cleaning it and see what happens.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-29-2016, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for answering. I'm 90% sure, again (hind-sight), that the blower is slower. The New (used) engine, starts right up and powers up to what I think is full power. Even with the machine stopped, and the engine at full power, the blower 'tines' in front seem to be moving slowly. And like I said, even a light/powdery snow of 6" will bog the machine down if I even attempt to run it faster than 2nd gear (out of 5). I really can't remember 'visually' what size pulley the original Ariens motor had on it. But looking at this SnowKing engine, the pulley does look small. Which would make sense of why I had to shim the motor up to put proper tension on the 'original' (to the motor) belt.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-29-2016, 11:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Something that does not make to much sense (to me) is that if the impeller was spinning slower than it used to, the engine should actually have more power and not bug down unless the impeller is spinning so slow that it is clogging up.
You must have had a 7 or 8 hp engine before, going to a 12 hp engine you are adding 50+% more power to it (if the engine is working well it should not bog down), maybe we are missing or overlooking something.....
post #5 of 12 Old 10-03-2016, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsblowersfan View Post
Something that does not make to much sense (to me) is that if the impeller was spinning slower than it used to, the engine should actually have more power and not bug down unless the impeller is spinning so slow that it is clogging up.
You must have had a 7 or 8 hp engine before, going to a 12 hp engine you are adding 50+% more power to it (if the engine is working well it should not bog down), maybe we are missing or overlooking something.....
It actually is clogging up on the 2nd stage. Like I said, the current engine seems to run fine, starts right up, sounds like it's a full power, doesn't spit or sputter.

6 inches of snow is the max for 2nd gear (and even then it's laboring). If I try to clear 8-9 inches, I need to run in 1st gear and about every 12 inches of travel I need to squeeze the drive clutch (to stop forward motion) to let the machine catch up.

Really need to know the factory engine pulley diameter to figure this thing out.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-03-2016, 10:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfeissner68 View Post
It actually is clogging up on the 2nd stage. Like I said, the current engine seems to run fine, starts right up, sounds like it's a full power, doesn't spit or sputter.

6 inches of snow is the max for 2nd gear (and even then it's laboring). If I try to clear 8-9 inches, I need to run in 1st gear and about every 12 inches of travel I need to squeeze the drive clutch (to stop forward motion) to let the machine catch up.

Really need to know the factory engine pulley diameter to figure this thing out.
is your belt slipping ? do you have the pulley locked in place, as to not spin on the shaft when under load ? I will measure my pulley to get the dia for you

2 1/2" in o.d....1 3/4" i.d that is off the engine sheeve of the orig tech 7 hp engine

32" 910954 tractor-910995 blower
24" 910954 tractor-910995 blower (full restore)
22" st504
22" mtd
22" simplicity 555

Last edited by ctdave; 10-03-2016 at 10:15 AM.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-03-2016, 02:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
by bogging down, do you experience a major drop in RPMs? if so, the "new to you" engine may have poor compression (leaky head gasket, worn cylinder and/or little/no valve clearance, etc.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #8 of 12 Old 10-03-2016, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I am fairly sure the engine shaft is keyed to the pulley so it can not spin on the shaft. I don't remember the belt slipping.

2.5" OD pulley size, is that from a early 70's Ariens? I'll check my current diameter tomorrow and post.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-03-2016, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
by bogging down, do you experience a major drop in RPMs? if so, the "new to you" engine may have poor compression (leaky head gasket, worn cylinder and/or little/no valve clearance, etc.)
I haven't used it since last year, but I don't remember hearing a 'major' drop in RPM's. I does slow down when it's trying to get the snow out of the 2nd stage. I would guess a 25 to 40 percent drop in the RPM's by the sound maybe.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-03-2016, 11:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
How far does it throw the snow with the 12hp engine compared to before with the old engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page