LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-05-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Parts for vintage Ariens (early 1970's)

I have a model 924048 (ST724) and the bronze gear that mates with the steel worm gear failed. The parts manual specifies the pair of gears as part number 524026. I have not been able to locate a source for buying these gears.

Does anyone know where I can purchase these discontinued parts?

Did Ariens make there own gears or are they common with other brands?

Thanks
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-05-2012, 01:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Just looked it up and I think yours is from the early 80s.

First make sure the bronze gear has failed. Occasionally reports surface of the roll pin holding the gear to the auger shafts shearing.

Next, the gear was never supposed to be replaced separate. Ariens always insisted on replacing the gear and the worm shaft at the same time.

Ariens discontinued the gears and now only offers the complete gear box for around $180 - $200. Sometimes the older gear sets show up on ebay or you could look for another complete blower with a blown engine or some other problems.

Last edited by Shryp; 02-05-2012 at 01:25 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-05-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
It is definitely a failure of the bronze gear; I opened the gear box and scooped out the grease mixed with shavings of bronze.

Is the new gearbox under a different part number? I have not found any place to cross reference the part numbers.

Thanks
post #4 of 5 Old 02-05-2012, 01:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I just checked ebay and see a few gear sets for sale too.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ariens+gear&_sacat=42230&_odkw=&_jgr=0 &_osacat=42230&_catref=1

--

Ariens Snowthrower Worm Shaft

I make no promises, however I was always under the impression that any 24" gearbox from an Ariens can be replaced with any other 24" Ariens gearbox.

The hardest part might actually be getting your impeller off, so I would just look for a used and broken machine for cheap.

You could contact Ariens directly as I have heard their customer service is pretty good about technical questions.
There is also an engineer at Ariens that chimes in on questions like this, however he hasn't found this forum yet.
He uses the name "Snowmann" everywhere I have seen him.

Maybe Scot could help you out more when he comes around. I think he has memorized lots of Ariens manuals by now

--

Last bit of advise when putting it back together. Make sure neither auger is rusted to the shaft, both are greased well, and both shear pins are the correct pins and not standard bolts. Possibly also replace all the bushings, bearings and seals inside that gearcase too while you have it apart. Suddenly it becomes more obvious why Ariens simply sells the complete unit now.

Last edited by Shryp; 02-05-2012 at 02:08 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 351
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 784
I have been increasing my list of dealers who have been able to find old parts for people..people have emailed me and said they have had good luck, and I should add them to the list, so I do! give these guys a try:

The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site - where to find parts

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page