post #1 of 11 Old 10-26-2016, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 3
Garage
Smile New member with new Deluxe 24

The delivery guy just dropped off my new Deluxe 24 and I am fairly pumped. I seriously debated the 28 SHO and the 24 Platinum EFI, but eventually decided to go with the D24 due to our limited annual snowfall in Northern VA and my driveway size (25' x 50'). If I end up regretting it, there's always Craigslist and next year.

I do wish I went to a local dealer before I pulled the trigger at HD, but that's water under the bridge. It was a decent deal with free shipping and I was really happy that they made no effort to assemble it:

From what I have read here, that's probably for the best. I am pretty sure I can handle it.

The HD delivery was decent. They had a liftgate and a pallet truck, although getting it on the pallet truck was a bear given that it doesn't ship on a standard pallet. We eventually got it in my garage, so the assembly timeframe is less critical than it would have been had he only been willing to offload it at the curb, which is what HD stated might happen.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. Thanks for all of the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-26-2016, 12:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 3
Welcome from Norway
post #3 of 11 Old 10-26-2016, 02:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 8
Garage

Had my Deluxe 24 delivered a while back. We also had trouble getting the pallet truck under the pallet. The pallet was made with some pretty flimsy wood and the Deluxe 24 had broken through the bottom of the box when the pallet cross bars gave out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9132137.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	91090   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9132150.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	91098  

Bob
post #4 of 11 Old 10-26-2016, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA4370 View Post

Had my Deluxe 24 delivered a while back. We also had trouble getting the pallet truck under the pallet. The pallet was made with some pretty flimsy wood and the Deluxe 24 had broken through the bottom of the box when the pallet cross bars gave out.

Thanks.

Yeah, it's nice that the pallet is the same shape as the box, but it's a bit lame that it is not made of tougher stock and to standard height dimensions to allow standard forks to slide into it. We were in a tight space in the back of the truck, so getting the forks under it was a show. You really can't put a lot of pressure on the cardboard box to shove it around.

Oh well, it's safely in the garage now and I have the instructions in hand. Really looking forward to having the time to assemble it...and firing it up. I am hoping the weather is not too warm to run it long enough to burn off the muffler cologne.

If folks have any assembly advice (e.g., fluids to check, etc.), I would be grateful.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-26-2016, 06:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 127
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 172
Congrats on a sweet new machine, I like your thought process. I think you will be happy with this model the 254cc motor is a good match for the 24" bucket.

I attached some links that you may or may not be aware of that may help with the assembly:

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 Old 10-26-2016, 06:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Received): 63
Smile Welcome Aboard!

Congratulations! Assembly should be simple and straightforward, only thing I can add is check the oil and tire pressure, you'll probably have to top both of them up. Cardo's videos are excellent guides.

post #7 of 11 Old 10-26-2016, 07:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Received): 8
Garage
You may also find it helpful to have a copy of the service manual for your machine. I know it helped me in a couple of areas when I set mine up.

You can find the service manual here:
Ariens Order Owners Manuals

Have fun,

Bob
post #8 of 11 Old 10-26-2016, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA4370 View Post
You may also find it helpful to have a copy of the service manual for your machine. I know it helped me in a couple of areas when I set mine up.

You can find the service manual here:
Ariens Order Owners Manuals

Have fun,
Awesome! Thanks much! Just downloaded all three manuals. Great stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromr View Post
Congratulations! Assembly should be simple and straightforward, only thing I can add is check the oil and tire pressure, you'll probably have to top both of them up. Cardo's videos are excellent guides.

Yep. Took less than an hour. Instructions were decent even though they were Ikea-style pictograms. Some torque values would have been nice though.

I haven't checked the gear case oil or fired her up yet. I'll need to do that during the day...along with checking the tire pressure. The shipped oil level looks good. Much closer to full line than add. I'll give it another look in the daylight. If she fires up and runs fine, the poly skids go on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo111 View Post
Congrats on a sweet new machine, I like your thought process. I think you will be happy with this model the 254cc motor is a good match for the 24" bucket.

I attached some links that you may or may not be aware of that may help with the assembly:

Excellent! Of course, my timing sucks since I just came in from the garage after assembling her, but I will definitely watch to see if I missed anything.

BTW, I am curious if folks lubricate the chute rotation gear to make it glide. Doesn't look like that is a step in the service manual. Mine works fine, but I wouldn't say it glides. It doesn't bind up and seems about the same as the units at the dealer I visited, so perhaps I should leave well enough alone. I should have never played with a Toro.

Thanks again to all! Bring on old man winter!
post #9 of 11 Old 10-27-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
So I checked her out today and the gear box lube might be a bit low. Manual says it should be 2.4-2.6" from the top. I measured it at exactly 2 & 9/16", which is just a hair under 2.6". I assume I am safe to fire her up, but will probably order some just to have it on hand and perhaps add just a bit more.

Engine oil turned out to be right on the FULL line. Of course, that's what I bought at my local dealer to be ready for her (instead of gear box lube), so 0 or 2 there.

Tire pressure was 19 and 21, with max TP on sidewall at 20 psi. I lowered them both to 17 psi...for no good reason other than I don't like to be near max with things.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Elt31987 liked this post
post #10 of 11 Old 10-27-2016, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
So add a bit more time to assembly.

I added some TruFuel and Sea Foam (not taking any chances) and fired her up. Started on the second pull. And the impeller and auger were spinning.

I panicked a bit, suspecting I might have a belt or pulley issue, but decided to start simple. I shut her down, disconnected that cable, and started her back up. Problem solved. Quick cable adjustment and I was in business. Thankfully it wasn't anything more serious because getting it to a dealer for service was not going to be easy. That's another argument in favor of buying at a dealer and having them make sure it works before you pick it up, but bullet dodged for now.

So you have probably seen countless such machines, but this one is mine...with her new poly shoes and Ariens mat.

Last edited by Scuba_Steve; 10-27-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page