LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-29-2016, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 22
Compact 20

My first requirement for a snowblower is width, I have limited garage space. I know with the size of my drive way a 24 would be better but I have to be able to get the blower out of the garage with a car in it. I have an old MTD 22 and it barley fits so any wider would be a pain.

When I was looking at the compact 24 last year I didn't think the 208cc was enough power and I think that was most people's sentiments here. Now I see they are making a 20 inch with the 208cc. I would like opinions on whether you all think it's enough power since it's 4 inches smaller.

I also noticed that the Compact's say they have Quick-Turn and the Deluxe and up say Auto-Turn, any one know the difference?

To be honest there are only a hand full of times in the last 21 years I wished I had something bigger than my 5hp 22 inch.

1996 MTD 5/22
2016 Toro 721 QZR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-29-2016, 10:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Sounds good, it has foldable handlebars to save more space.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Administrator thanked for this post
post #3 of 5 Old 10-29-2016, 07:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 127
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 172
Anyone who reads my posts knows I am an Ariens fan love their mix of quality products, family owned company for generations and stellar customer support. That being said their website is often riddled with typos, I have called them in the past to make appropriate corrections.

The spec that you are referring to is their "Quick-Turn" crank chute control. This may be a typo as well because I remember their manual crank chute control called a 2.5x ice drill chute control (2.5 turns of the hand crank to move the chute 205. The "Quick Turn" chute control is the left to right moving levers (to move the chute From side to side) on their Platinum and higher series machines.

The steering on this model (the Compact 20), is actually old school tried and true pin lock, essentially you have the choice of 1 wheel drive for easier steering or 2 wheel drive for maximum power. On a machine this size I wouldn't be too concerned about steering it, should be easy enough without any steering aids. Best of luck on your search and post some pics once you take delivery of your machine.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cardo111; 10-30-2016 at 09:25 PM.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-30-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 22
Thanks cardo111. I did stop by the dealer yesterday to see what he had in stock and he didn't have the Compact 20 but he did have the Compact 24. I came home a measured again and the 24 is just to wide, mama wouldn't be happy if I scratched he caddy.

I think you're probably right about the pin lock steering, its never been a problem with my mtd.

One more question if someone catches this. I noticed the quick turn shoot was jerky, can this be oiled up to be smoother?

1996 MTD 5/22
2016 Toro 721 QZR
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Administrator thanked for this post
Likes Administrator liked this post
post #5 of 5 Old 10-30-2016, 09:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 127
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 172
Yes it is a pinion gear that can be lubed, it is also possible it wasn't set-up/adjusted properly.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page