LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-30-2016, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
ethanol free gasoline

for those of you want to use ethanol free gasoline in their snowblowers, and live in or near New York state, many of the Stewarts stores have 91 octane ethanol free gasoline for sale. i purchased 5 gallons this weekend for my snowblower. i think duchess county and greene county (?) have rules against it so the Stewarts there apparently do not carry it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-30-2016, 08:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Available all over the US and Canada: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
post #3 of 13 Old 10-30-2016, 08:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 25
I'm new to all this, but wouldn't it be the same to just use stabilizer in your gas? I don't think I'm gonna wanna drive around to just find proper gas for my blower

Toro 824QXE SNOWMASTER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 13 Old 10-30-2016, 11:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
I'm no expert but from my understanding there are a few issues with ethanol added gas, mainly:

- Decreased shelf life of gas,
- Ethanol eats away at plastic and rubber components, I think this is why most stay away, especially in older engines.
- Ethanol is an alcohol and can absorb water from the atmosphere and condensation inside the gas tank. As it ages, the ethanol can come out of solution and settle to the bottom of the tank, along with any absorbed water. This mixture then gets pulled into the carb and you either have issues starting or staying running. Over time the water trapped in the fuel system can corrode the metallic engine components.

I think fuel stabilizer should help with shelf life and preventing moisture from mixing in, but probably does little to protect any rubber and plastic components of the engine.

Shell and Canadian Tire are my go-to in Canada, but I can't seem to find anyone with a dedicated pump. Unless you know the previous customer bought premium, I recommend filling your car for a few seconds to clear the line of unwanted ethanol gas..

Last edited by cancon; 10-30-2016 at 11:46 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-31-2016, 10:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 260
I use a product either made by or name Starbrite Gas Treatment which you add to gasoline which, somehow, eliminates the ethanol bad properties and also stabilizes. It winds up costing about $0.10 to treat a gallon, and I have been using it for about 5years with zero complaints, and infinite smiles.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-31-2016, 07:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Received): 25
I just filled my cherry can today with 91 octane from Shell, and also picked up some stabilizer....all good for the winter

Toro 824QXE SNOWMASTER

post #7 of 13 Old 10-31-2016, 11:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 51
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIT333 View Post
I use a product either made by or name Starbrite Gas Treatment which you add to gasoline which, somehow, eliminates the ethanol bad properties and also stabilizes. It winds up costing about $0.10 to treat a gallon, and I have been using it for about 5years with zero complaints, and infinite smiles.
You're talking about Startron and yes it's one of the better stabilizers (according to published tests) but it does not eliminate ethanol's "bad properties". It only helps reduce the instability.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-31-2016, 11:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 51
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlfinish View Post
I just filled my cherry can today with 91 octane from Shell, and also picked up some stabilizer....all good for the winter
I thought the bowing smilies were praying. I would cycle that stuff through every few months.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-01-2016, 08:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 127
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 172
I have used Star Tron for about 5 years now and it has worked very well. In our area ethanol is used In pump fuel. I add Star Tron as soon as I fill up my gas cans, give it a good shake and seem to be good to go for several months without issue. I have also heard good things about Marine Sta-Bil.

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment Gas Additive Small Engine

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

post #10 of 13 Old 11-01-2016, 08:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Received): 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancon View Post

Shell and Canadian Tire are my go-to in Canada, but I can't seem to find anyone with a dedicated pump. Unless you know the previous customer bought premium, I recommend filling your car for a few seconds to clear the line of unwanted ethanol gas..
Cancon,

Post your location in your profile and we can help better. Here's a list of locations for the US and Canada for non-ethanol fuel:
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page