BUYING TIP for old snowblowers from a rookie! - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-02-2016, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 2
BUYING TIP for old snowblowers from a rookie!

Well, I'll never make that same mistake again!!

Called up on an ad about an OK looking ST 1032 with a 2 year old Tecumseh 10hp. The serial number places the age in the beginning of the 80's. I didn't hesitate about the age because parts are readily available and these units are built like tanks. So after kicking the tyres and listening to the motor I decided to buy it...all is well so far!

HERE'S THE TIP (I'm sure this is however obvious to many of you): Before you buy an old machine, for heaven's sake take out the shear-pins from the augers and see if they spin freely on the shaft!!

Mine were siezed and rusted on because of tardy maintenance and have probably been that way for a long time. I have now used 3 days heating and pounding on the **** thing, and in the end only extreme heat shock and 20 tons of pressure got it off! AND THAT'S ONLY THE ONE SIDE! The saga continues!

I hope my 20/20 hindsight can prevent others into falling into this predicement!

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-02-2016, 06:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 173
Thanks (Received): 308
Likes (Given): 457
Likes (Received): 1032
Doneyboy73 has a ton of great vids but this is the best one for someone considering a used blower puchase.
He and a another guy, sixtyfive ford have some good vids

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Coyotey liked this post
post #3 of 14 Old 11-02-2016, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
Doneyboy73 has a ton of great vids but this is the best one for someone considering a used blower puchase.
He and a another guy, sixtyfive ford have some good vids

http://youtu.be/wFOVWb_QP5k
Hi Micah!

I've seen them! He makes great videos and is a super resorce for us who like to wrench on these old machines. I envy him that crazy looking heating torch with the 2 prongs! He made it look so easy. I think my case was an extreme one - like I said, I gave up after 3 days of pounding and had to find a 20 ton press! Besides - you don't have to hit your thumb more than once with a sledge hammer to try a new direction!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #4 of 14 Old 11-02-2016, 07:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 376
Likes (Given): 468
Likes (Received): 483
I still have one one seized auger on an Aries ST1236 (if you looked at the machine you would've not thought that the augers were so seized as it is very clean looking blower).
I've tried several times, sent it to a Machine Shop, and they gave up. So, don't feel too bad. I'm thinking to try electrolysis on my next attempt to free it up.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-02-2016, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 397
Likes (Given): 182
Likes (Received): 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotey View Post

Called up on an ad about an OK looking ST 1032 with a 2 year old Tecumseh 10hp.
Another tip: There is no such thing as a 2-year old Tecumseh 10hp!
Tecumseh stopped making snowblower engines in 2008.
even if the engine is from the *very last* year of production, its now 8 years old at the absolute minimum..

But if the engine is in good condition, the exact age is fairly irrelevant..there are still a lot of 20, 30 and 40 year old Tecumseh snowblower engines working just fine.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-03-2016, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsblowersfan View Post
I still have one one seized auger on an Aries ST1236 (if you looked at the machine you would've not thought that the augers were so seized as it is very clean looking blower).
I've tried several times, sent it to a Machine Shop, and they gave up. So, don't feel too bad. I'm thinking to try electrolysis on my next attempt to free it up.
Misery loves company!! I'm not alone!

The battle continues here - going to try to get the other side off on the press tonight. I also mashed up the end and inside thread on the side I was pounding on so I'll try to drill and re-tap it. Bought a "helicoil" so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll take.

To look for the silver lining though...The copper bushings and rubber seal inside the gearbox needed replacing anyway

Did they try with a press at the machine shop? Keep trying so you don't munch up your motor!
post #7 of 14 Old 11-03-2016, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
Another tip: There is no such thing as a 2-year old Tecumseh 10hp!
Tecumseh stopped making snowblower engines in 2008.
even if the engine is from the *very last* year of production, its now 8 years old at the absolute minimum..

But if the engine is in good condition, the exact age is fairly irrelevant..there are still a lot of 20, 30 and 40 year old Tecumseh snowblower engines working just fine.

Scot
I did not know that! I had no reason to doubt the seller because the motor looks pristine with no discoloration or marks on it! Does 2008 apply for here in Europe too?

Anyways, it's good to hear that if well maintained, that these motors last and last!!
post #8 of 14 Old 11-03-2016, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 397
Likes (Given): 182
Likes (Received): 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotey View Post
I did not know that! I had no reason to doubt the seller because the motor looks pristine with no discoloration or marks on it! Does 2008 apply for here in Europe too?

Anyways, it's good to hear that if well maintained, that these motors last and last!!
hmmm..I dont know about Europe! I dont know if Tecumseh had a European manufacturing facility, or if all engines were made in the USA then exported.

It's also possible the seller could have installed a NOS engine two years ago! and from his perspective, he was telling the truth when he said "I installed this new engine two years ago"..not knowing the brand-new engine he bought was a decade old..that can happen.

but as I said, its not really a big deal either way. the engine could very well have "only two years of use", regardless of its actual age.

Scot

post #9 of 14 Old 11-03-2016, 10:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 173
Thanks (Received): 308
Likes (Given): 457
Likes (Received): 1032
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
It's also possible the seller could have installed a NOS engine two years ago! and from his perspective, he was telling the truth when he said "I installed this new engine two years ago"..not knowing the brand-new engine he bought was a decade old..that can happen.

Scot
I was going to suggest this. I have seen at least three brand new Tec engines in the past couple years advertised on Cl.

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #10 of 14 Old 11-03-2016, 06:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 7
All Tecumseh power engins where made in usa for the european market.
Example ariens snowblower where exported direct from usa to norway as finished product.
If you needed parts for the snowblower or the engine you got it from your ariens dealer.

however Tecumseh moved manufacturing of small engins to india and Brazil and the Czech Republic in 2003.

Went bankrupt in 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page