LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-03-2016, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
2 Piece Wheels? Questions? Advice?

So as some of you may have gathered, I am overhauling a nice condition early 70's 20" Ariens snow-blower. The snow-blower is model 922003, and the drive-portion is model 922006, with a Tecumseh HS-50 motor.

I am putting new tires. One reason is that it has the original tires, which are all cracked, split and dry-rotted. One of them is flat too (unknown reason) and I figured if I was going to tube them, I should replace them with better tires as the stock ones are "turf" tires.

So I got one of the wheels / hubs off tonight, and I realized that the wheel is split down the middle, with 3 bolts holding it together. If I undo the 3 bolts, the wheel will split like a sandwich (wheel half, tire, other wheel half). I would assume there is some kind of gasket down the center of the tire to make it air-tight, or the wheel already has a tube in it from the factory (can't really tell).

Anyways, I was thinking this would make my life super easy to replace the tires if I can just unbolt the wheels, as I wouldn't need to force the tire bead over the wheel.

Has anybody done this? Or am I going to make myself a huge head-ache by splitting the wheels?

If I put a tube in the new tires, then it wouldn't matter if the wheels are air-tight after I bolt them together.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I get myself in a bind lol.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-03-2016, 07:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 174
Thanks (Received): 308
Likes (Given): 462
Likes (Received): 1044
What have you got to lose? Try it.you can make your own gasket if it needs one but probably a tube will work fine. Google it or youtube it and see what comes up.

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #3 of 7 Old 11-03-2016, 08:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
have used wheels like this on racing go karts, wheel halves were aluminum, clean them well and use a big "O" ring in the inside center after you bolt them together, no tube needed.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks skutflut thanked for this post
post #4 of 7 Old 11-04-2016, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
So I just pulled off the wheels and tires today. Luckily, the shaft's were pretty well greased, so the hubs / wheels came right off the shafts.

The wheels are actually a 3-piece design, the 2 wheels halves, and the center hub with a key-way that fits onto the output shaft of the gearbox.

I took the hub part off the wheels, and looked closer at the tires. It looked like the tires already had tubes in them from the factory. I unbolted the wheel-halves, and sure enough, no gasket between the wheel halves and the tire HAS a tube in it. I had a little trouble un-seating the bead from the wheel halves, but I got them off. Just need the new tires to come in now.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-04-2016, 04:39 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 82
Thanks (Received): 173
Likes (Given): 421
Likes (Received): 664
Garage
new tires and tubes ? dont even attempt to try to make those split wheels tubeless. and be carefull not to pinch the tubes between the halves, a little bit of air in the tubes should make the job a bit easier.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-04-2016, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcove View Post
new tires and tubes ? dont even attempt to try to make those split wheels tubeless. and be carefull not to pinch the tubes between the halves, a little bit of air in the tubes should make the job a bit easier.
Yes, I'm going to do new tubes. I am not gonna try to make them tubeless.

The other thing I was thinking was to assemble the wheels on the tire, then fish the tube into the tire, this way I do not pinch the tube like you said.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-04-2016, 07:44 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 82
Thanks (Received): 173
Likes (Given): 421
Likes (Received): 664
Garage
i did one on my gravely walk behind , i put enough air in the tube so it just had its donut shape, put the tube in the tire, aligned the valve stem half of the rim , then added the other rim half, it was a chore....i made up some new choice words, but it did go together and hold air. might not be the right, or best method, but it worked for me !

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page