LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-09-2016, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 16
Moving Ariens tracks model while off

I'm considering an Ariens Deluxe or Pro track machine but only if I can move it around while off. Is there any way to do it? (other than putting it on a moving dolly?) The "differential lock" doesn't allow it to free-wheel right?

The other major track brands all now support this:

Honda: handle levers
Husqvarna: freewheel control near the bottom of the frame
Ariens: ??? Nothing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-10-2016, 05:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 71
Thanks (Received): 118
Likes (Given): 571
Likes (Received): 270
I went to the Ariens site and found just the 24 Track. Are the others, hydro track & pro track discontinued?

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #3 of 18 Old 11-10-2016, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
I went to the Ariens site and found just the 24 Track. Are the others, hydro track & pro track discontinued?
They're on there.

Ariens Track Snow Blowers | Superior Traction
post #4 of 18 Old 11-10-2016, 09:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Sweet, get the Hydro Pro Track!!!

post #5 of 18 Old 11-10-2016, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
Sweet, get the Hydro Pro Track!!!
I might! But only if I can figure out whether I can push it around the garage easily when off.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-10-2016, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
According to this post, there's a lever to disengage the tracks.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/807697-post25.html
Quote:
The ariens hydro has one slightly annoying feature which is that to move it with the engine off will require bending down to engage and dis engage a lever that couples the transmisson to the drive wheels

EDIT: I finally found the answer is the manual. The Hydro Pro 28 Track model seems to have a "Transmission Bypass Rod" on the back down on the left side. It can be removed "to move the unit short distances with the engine stopped".

Interestingly, the manual says the rod must be pushed back in before starting the machine or you can damage the tranmission. Gack.

Last edited by matto; 11-10-2016 at 05:39 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-15-2016, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
While I found the answer for the hydro pro, I still don't know about the Platinum. I'm looking at the owners manual and it doesn't mention anything about a transmission bypass.

Are there any owners of the Platinum Track 28 out there? Can you get the machine to move while off?
post #8 of 18 Old 11-15-2016, 08:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 280
I'm pretty surprised they don't make it very easy to bypass and then not do any damage to it while in bypass? That's just crazy if that's the case....... gotta think they would have designed an easy way to deal with a machine that's not running...... preferably with gloves on. Most machines in the past had a lever you could step on..... :>/

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-20-2016, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I finally found an Ariens Hydro Pro 28 track in stock, and drove 1+ hours to go see it. I was excited like a kid at Christmas and was ready to buy.

I left disappointed.

This thing is heavy. And difficult to move around when off. I didn't get to run it so I don't know what it's like to drive for real. But standing behind it, lifting it up and down, and trying to move it around the store while off.... wow. I just kept thinking, geez do I really want to deal with this? I would fiddle with the platinum 24 and 30 and think wow these are so much more nimble.

I was still ready to buy, but I decided to check out the Hondas one more time before making my decision. I put my hands on a 928 and it was a night and day difference. It's more compact , lighter, and far easier to move around while off. It seems the Honda tracks are fundamentally superior to the Ariens in almost every way.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-20-2016, 05:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by matto View Post
I finally found an Ariens Hydro Pro 28 track in stock, and drove 1+ hours to go see it. I was excited like a kid at Christmas and was ready to buy.

I left disappointed.

This thing is heavy. And difficult to move around when off. I didn't get to run it so I don't know what it's like to drive for real. But standing behind it, lifting it up and down, and trying to move it around the store while off.... wow. I just kept thinking, geez do I really want to deal with this? I would fiddle with the platinum 24 and 30 and think wow these are so much more nimble.

I was still ready to buy, but I decided to check out the Hondas one more time before making my decision. I put my hands on a 928 and it was a night and day difference. It's more compact , lighter, and far easier to move around while off. It seems the Honda tracks are fundamentally superior to the Ariens in almost every way.
The Honda's are amazing machines. I think that either the 928 or 1332 would serve you well. I have watched lots of video on the web of these machines and they can really throw. If there is video of these machines clogging under wet heavy snow then lets see them and present them to [email protected] for his analysis.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page