Ariens 824 Movement and Auger Intermittent - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-17-2016, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens 824 Movement and Auger Intermittent

Hello everyone,

First post, so go easy on me.

I'm the new owner of a used Ariens 824, model #932100 Serial #001550
We just had our first snowfall here in Denver, so I was able to test it out in our 2 inch dusting. Within minutes the auger quit spinning. I shut it off, pulled all the snow out, and it worked for a few more minutes. But once again it quit spinning.

To make things more intriguing, the movement both forward and backwards, quits moving once its under pressure. But will intermittently start working again. Both the auger and movement seemed to work better and better the more I used it, but never was great.

This Ariens 824 was bought used, sat for a few years untouched, and shows very little sign of use. I grew up with almost the identical machine and never once experienced a single problem.

Someone please help me out,
Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-18-2016, 04:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 379
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1377
Did you check the belts????????? ALOHA from the paradise city.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 8 Old 11-18-2016, 05:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 127
Thanks (Received): 194
Likes (Given): 468
Likes (Received): 814
Auger not spinning could be a loose belt, -OR- Gearbox Problems. Hold the rakes, and then spin the impeller while keeping some tension on the rakes. If the rakes turn with the impeller, it's not the gearbox. It could also be a bad impeller bearing. Check the impeller shaft for excessive play. A bad bearing can affect the belt's ability to spin the impeller. Or belt may need adjusting. As far as the movement Problem, Tilt the snowblower forward on the auger, and remove the bottom access cover. Check the friction wheel's condition, and it can be adjusted by tightening the drive cable. Loosen the allen screw, and adjust the cable. You can lube the drive plate's spindle bearing, it might be sticky.Also, Degrease the friction wheel and drive plate with brake cleaner. Hopefully, the friction wheel doesn't need replacing. PITA on that model. GL.

Last edited by Jackmels; 11-18-2016 at 05:59 PM.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-19-2016, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the advice. I tightened the tension pulley for the auger and so far it seems to engage firmly. The next snowfall will tell.
As for the movement, it seems the friction wheel has one spot that's down to metal. I'm thinking this is why it quits driving under pressure intermittently. Should I replace only the friction wheel, or does it look like I need to replace the drive plate as well?

Thanks,
Justin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161119_162130_1479604268329.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	92122   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161119_151659_1479604289709.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	92130  
post #5 of 8 Old 11-19-2016, 08:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
That Drive Plate isn't too bad, I've seen Much Worse. If you are overly concerned about it, you can sand it using a block to get some of the imperfections out, but I wouldn't worry about it. You'll find it an adventure doing the friction wheel.( Don't use the machine until you replace it!) It takes patience to get the assembly back on the forks while keeping the washers from falling off. GL.

Last edited by Jackmels; 11-19-2016 at 08:37 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-19-2016, 09:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 97
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmels View Post
Auger not spinning could be a loose belt, -OR- Gearbox Problems. Hold the rakes, and then spin the impeller while keeping some tension on the rakes. If the rakes turn with the impeller, it's not the gearbox. It could also be a bad impeller bearing. Check the impeller shaft for excessive play. A bad bearing can affect the belt's ability to spin the impeller. Or belt may need adjusting. As far as the movement Problem, Tilt the snowblower forward on the auger, and remove the bottom access cover. Check the friction wheel's condition, and it can be adjusted by tightening the drive cable. Loosen the allen screw, and adjust the cable. You can lube the drive plate's spindle bearing, it might be sticky.Also, Degrease the friction wheel and drive plate with brake cleaner. Hopefully, the friction wheel doesn't need replacing. PITA on that model. GL.
Jack it may be obvious to a seasoned veteran like yourself, but I would include the warning with your procedure for any newbies. When doing the above, the snowblower should NOT be running, and you should also disconnect the spark plug wire so that it doesn't start unintentionally. Hate to have people changing their sign-ons in this forum to "Lefty".
post #7 of 8 Old 11-20-2016, 03:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Well You can include Warnings in Your Own Posts. Just because the guy is a newbie, doesn't mean he is an idiot.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-20-2016, 04:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmels View Post
That Drive Plate isn't too bad, I've seen Much Worse. If you are overly concerned about it, you can sand it using a block to get some of the imperfections out, but I wouldn't worry about it. You'll find it an adventure doing the friction wheel.( Don't use the machine until you replace it!) It takes patience to get the assembly back on the forks while keeping the washers from falling off. GL.
Amen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page