2014 24D is now 1-wheel drive (Auto-Turn) - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-21-2016, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
2014 24D is now 1-wheel drive (Auto-Turn)

Hi all. New member here, and a little desperate since we had 14" overnight and I'm going to have to clear another 12" when I get out of work...

I have a 2 year old 24" Deluxe with auto-turn, and I've never had a problem with it - until today. I took it out of storage and started it up this weekend, and now only 1 wheel is getting engine power. It was working just fine when I put it away in the spring. The blower is adjusted properly, the frame is square, and the tires are both inflated properly.

This is different than the usual auto-turn complaints. No matter what gear, whether or not I've got the front of the unit off the ground, and turning in any direction, only the right-hand wheel puts any power to the ground. It's like the left wheel isn't even connected to anything.

I wonder if something in the auto-turn unit got seized up while it was sitting? Is there something in there that I'm supposed to lubricate? Is the auto-turn unit even serviceable?

I've seen a lot of people have problems with the auto-turn wandering or being hard to control, but I haven't found any info on it being flat-out broken. Does anyone have any resources they can point to for a repair guide?

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-21-2016, 04:08 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 82
Thanks (Received): 173
Likes (Given): 418
Likes (Received): 664
Garage
no experience with auto turn, but what holds the wheels on the axles ? did you remove the wheels .....if the wheels have the common " pins", and you did remove them for spring maintenance , any chance you pinned the left wheel to free-wheel ? just a thought.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-21-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Good thoughts, nwcove, but I have not removed the wheels. I'm used to locking pins (on my past models), but this model just has a couple of clips that attach the wheels to the axle shafts.

I called my local dealer this morning to make sure there's no switch or pin, etc. that I might have accidentally disengaged, and they confirmed there's no "on/off" widget I might have accidentally messed with. "Sounds like it's broken" was the response I got. Of course, if I take it to them for service, it will be March before I get it back...
post #4 of 8 Old 11-21-2016, 04:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
stay tuned......lotsa good help here, if it worked fine when put away last spring, it could be just something in need of a dab of grease. and welcome to the forum !!!

28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-21-2016, 04:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 114
Likes (Received): 157
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcove View Post
no experience with auto turn, but what holds the wheels on the axles ? did you remove the wheels .....if the wheels have the common " pins", and you did remove them for spring maintenance , any chance you pinned the left wheel to free-wheel ? just a thought.
On my machine with Auto Turn the wheels are held to the axles with spring clips. The axle turns the wheels through a key-way. There are no pins.

For the OP, perhaps check that the wheels turn with the axles; if the wheels were removed to grease the axle and wheel hub the key may not have been replaced in the key-way.

The Auto Turn differential is normally closed and opens to allow the wheels to turn at different speeds. You can see the separation that allows the differential operation. There is a series of clicks that signal the differential is open to allow a turn, and the clicks stop when the differential closes to drive both wheels.

I have not heard of any problems with the differential but it could happen. Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #6 of 8 Old 11-21-2016, 10:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 41
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 98
I recall last winter there was a fellow on here that had problems with his then brand new auto turn. Do a search here. I think it was a clip had fallen off or something simple like that. He made a fuss about it because it was brand new and the dealer far away.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-22-2016, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
OK, mystery solved... Nwcove was right -- basically.

I took the wheel off last night to check things out. On these models, the wheels and axles have keyways, and there's a key that ties them together. They key was missing on that wheel, so the axle was turning, but not actually connected to the wheel. Then a lightbulb went on in my head...

Back in the spring, my father-in-law decided he would be helpful and winterize my blower for me (as a surprise -- hooray). So I called him last night to ask if by any chance he had taken a wheel off for some reason. He said he had indeed removed the left wheel so he could drain the carb bowl. I have no idea why he decided this was necessary -- I've never needed to do this. I asked him about the key, and he had no idea what I was talking about -- so I can only assume the key fell out when he took the wheel off (without him noticing), and it's somewhere in my back yard, underneath a 6-ft snow drift.

Lesson learned: be careful of any "help" you receive...

Thanks, everyone. You've got a great forum here. I'm sure I'll be hanging around here a lot.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-22-2016, 05:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
i may have "steered" you in the "right" direction, but Town had the "key" point .
fwiw......i would remove both wheels at the end of each season and lightly grease the axles.......a flat tire is a pita, but having to beat the wheel off the machine to fix the flat is way worse !

28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss

Last edited by nwcove; 11-22-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Town thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page