LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-15-2018, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens 921030 Surges when it does run

I had problems with my machine (about 5 years old) this past winter. It has only been used about 6 times since I've owned it. It was surging quite a bit this season but than clonked out and would not start. Shovel the driveway and tried to fire it up the next day. Ran for about 4 minutes then clonked out again. Ran some Seafoam in the gas tank and seemed to help a bit. Cleaned the carb changed spark plug etc and no improvement.
Today I replaced the carb ($100+) and exactly the same issues. However, Intrigued to find the answer, I opened the fuel valve and watched the flow of the gas to the carb. Shouldn't it run full gussto through the 1/4" line to the carb? As the float should regulate the amount allowed into the bowl. Mine was very slow - so I figure it is a blockage in the fuel delivery. Will start exploring tomorrow.
If you have some suggestions, please e-mail me. [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-15-2018, 04:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 119
One thing that can cause problems is a bad fuel cap. Does it run okay if you unscrew the fuel cap? If so it isn't venting properly and needs to be replaced. A quick fix is to just drill a tiny hole into the gas cap.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-15-2018, 06:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 404
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannoman View Post
One thing that can cause problems is a bad fuel cap. Does it run okay if you unscrew the fuel cap? If so it isn't venting properly and needs to be replaced. A quick fix is to just drill a tiny hole into the gas cap.
First try switching gas caps or use a paper towel and elastic band over the top. If the same, it's not the gas cap, could be a clogged fuel line.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #4 of 5 Old 11-29-2018, 01:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Anyone annoyed by the little filter in the gas cap of the ariens?
post #5 of 5 Old 11-29-2018, 01:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 165
Not sure if you were watching flow with the line disconnected, or the bowl off, but if the latter, note that the needle valve opening is probably closer to 3/32" tham 1/4, which will be the biggest limit in flow. If the former, perhaps the line is breaking down and closing up internally - changing the line is quick, cheap, and easy on most machines . . . Might also check flow with the line off the tank in case any internal filter may have gunk in it.

On another note, I've also had this happen with crap in the bowl plugging the mets when running, but falling clear when not running, but un;ess the crap is still in the line, the replacement carb pretty much ruled that out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page