LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-19-2018, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Pro 28 EFI

I just pulled the trigger on a Pro 28 EFI to take advantage of the 5 year extended warranty. Thanks for all the past input here, it helped me make my decision.
The one draw back is the battery which I realize the pros/cons with. Has anyone tried to connect a solar powered trickle charger to it? I have a electric one for my honda generator but that battery is much bigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-19-2018, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
to SBF Trivan

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-19-2018, 02:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Congrats, and welcome to the forum!

What kind of battery does it use? I thought I remembered reading it was a NiMH battery pack? This link seems to corroborate that:

https://parts.ariens.com/product-p/05076500.htm

If it's a 12V lead-acid battery, I would be comfortable putting a 12V lead-acid trickle charger on it. But I suspect that most of the solar-powered chargers are for lead-acid batteries, not NiMH.

If you can find a solar trickle charger that's specifically for NiMH batteries, great. But if not, I would use the plug-in charger.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #4 of 18 Old 08-19-2018, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the welcomes!
Iím now hoping for a ton of snow this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
What kind of battery does it use? I thought I remembered reading it was a NiMH battery pack? This link seems to corroborate that:

https://parts.ariens.com/product-p/05076500.htm

If it's a 12V lead-acid battery, I would be comfortable putting a 12V lead-acid trickle charger on it. But I suspect that most of the solar-powered chargers are for lead-acid batteries, not NiMH.

If you can find a solar trickle charger that's specifically for NiMH batteries, great. But if not, I would use the plug-in charger.
Yes, itís a NiMH battery, I was hoping for a solar charger as my shed does not have electricity, I guess I can also just bring the battery into the house, but really hoping to connect it and forget it till I need it.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-19-2018, 06:57 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Received): 592
Garage
welcome to the forum ! isnt the rechargeable battery charged off the engine ?? what voltage is it....... only reason i ask is because i just ( today) replaced the 3 aa ni mh batteries in a solar charged motion activated flood light. i did check the panel output which was 6.3 v.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-19-2018, 07:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Received): 633
I think it's a 7.2V NiMH. That's likely the nominal voltage. I believe those are 6-cell packs. My NiMH cells are about 1.3V when fully-charged. So I expect that pack would be about 7.8V when fully charged.

It might be possible to rig up something to take the output from a higher-voltage panel, and drop it down to, say, 7.5V, which would be 1.25V/cell. There are DC-to-DC voltage converters that can reduce (buck) down a higher voltage to an adjustable lower voltage. But I don't know how to do that properly, to manage the fact that the converter wouldn't consistently be powered, for instance. The simplest thing to do is just bring the battery in and keep it charged.

You could try just disconnecting it during summer. If there is a small parasitic constant drain on the battery, which gradually makes it go dead, then disconnecting it might be enough that you don't have to charge it during the off-season. At least if they used Low Self-Discharge (LSD) NiMH cells, like the Eneloop cells. Those can sit for a year, and only lose like 5-10% of their charge.

In that case, just disconnecting the pack might be enough so that you don't have to worry about it. I believe the blower charges the battery while running, so it's just the off-season where you need to worry about charging.

nwcove, yours perhaps has something else going on as well? 3 cells at 1.3V each would be about 3.9V when fully-charged. So maybe it's doing more than just sending the panel's 6.3V directly to the cells? Maybe there's something that manages charging them.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #7 of 18 Old 08-19-2018, 08:41 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Received): 592
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
I think it's a 7.2V NiMH. That's likely the nominal voltage. I believe those are 6-cell packs. My NiMH cells are about 1.3V when fully-charged. So I expect that pack would be about 7.8V when fully charged.

It might be possible to rig up something to take the output from a higher-voltage panel, and drop it down to, say, 7.5V, which would be 1.25V/cell. There are DC-to-DC voltage converters that can reduce (buck) down a higher voltage to an adjustable lower voltage. But I don't know how to do that properly, to manage the fact that the converter wouldn't consistently be powered, for instance. The simplest thing to do is just bring the battery in and keep it charged.

You could try just disconnecting it during summer. If there is a small parasitic constant drain on the battery, which gradually makes it go dead, then disconnecting it might be enough that you don't have to charge it during the off-season. At least if they used Low Self-Discharge (LSD) NiMH cells, like the Eneloop cells. Those can sit for a year, and only lose like 5-10% of their charge.

In that case, just disconnecting the pack might be enough so that you don't have to worry about it. I believe the blower charges the battery while running, so it's just the off-season where you need to worry about charging.

nwcove, yours perhaps has something else going on as well? 3 cells at 1.3V each would be about 3.9V when fully-charged. So maybe it's doing more than just sending the panel's 6.3V directly to the cells? Maybe there's something that manages charging them.
no doubt there is some circuitry that controls the charge from any solar powered sensor lights.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

post #8 of 18 Old 08-19-2018, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Good discussion. I guess when I take delivery Iíll charge it up and then see how much it discharges while waiting for snow. I understand it does charge up during run time. My dealer did say that if the battery is dead it will not start so just trying to make sure I have a battery ready to go and will prob buy a back up in case.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-20-2018, 12:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 123
Thanks (Received): 117
Likes (Given): 257
Likes (Received): 138
I know each battery has its own characteristics so this is probably neither "here nor there."

This thread reminded me to do a maintenance charge on my Pro EFI battery.
In May it took less than half an hour to charge, tonight, 50 minutes.

Based on this thread I'm going to leave it unplugged until the November charge and see what happens...…..

For the record, I got the blower in November 2017 and have one season's use on the battery.

Go left.....No, your other left!
post #10 of 18 Old 08-20-2018, 08:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 82
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 187
Garage
Start the blower every 45 days for 10 min and you will be set

also helps keep it not gummed up put just enough fresh treated gas to run 10 min
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page