is it possible to convert autoturn to levers - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-03-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
mib

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
is it possible to convert autoturn to levers

I have the 2105 ish think 24" platinum SHO. I hate the autoturn. I have adjusted it to the video. To me it dont work as easily as the turn levers. NOW is it possible to turn this into a lever turn and how would I go ABOUT IT AND Possible costs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-03-2018, 10:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 216
I think it would be cost prohibitive, and you'd be better off selling yours, and then buying what you want.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-04-2018, 05:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 45
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 350
Likes (Received): 162
Have you tried the Armor Skids? Some of the Ariens guys have used those. You could always try the poly shoes too.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #4 of 11 Old 12-04-2018, 07:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Received): 26
Just buy another machine. What about auto turn do you hate? I have been using it on my 2014 since I got it and donít even notice itís there.

Ariens Pro Hydro 28 Rapidtrak
Toro 2450
Toro 3650
Toro powerclear 1800
post #5 of 11 Old 12-04-2018, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
mib

Post Thanks / Like
Yup I tried the poly skids and now I have the commercial armour skids on

Last edited by mib; 12-04-2018 at 10:54 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-04-2018, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
mib

Post Thanks / Like
with the lever all i had to do was pull the left lever and it releases the left tire gear and it will turn left in circles all day. With the autoturn you have to push the handle to the right to get it to let the clutch slip so it will turn left. Its jerky and feels like i have to chase the handles to keep enough pressure on the handlebars to keep it turning.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-05-2018, 09:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Received): 15
I have a new 24SHO and I have to admit I struggled a little during the last and only 2 snows. But I really don’t have enough time using the blower and I was probably as awkward with levers when I first tried them too. Between the Toro's and Ariens there are too many happy customers of these AutoTurn units in service for me to give up. So.... I will make it work. For me it's probably a little bit of slowing down, un-learning levers and learning Autoturn.

Now that the ground is frozen again ( yup I do have gravel ) I am planning on doing a dry run to try it again.

Quote:
>With the autoturn you have to push the handle to the right
I wonder if the action is actually to pull back on one side and not to the side?

The information on the DI 500 LINK says "the DI 500 will automatically disengage one or both wheels, allowing on the spot turning." And watching the video at about 1:30 it's a bit confusing if either of the wheels is powered during a tight turn. It does look like stripping gears though. I'll be curious if I can figure out what magic steering can make that happen.

Last edited by trellis; 12-05-2018 at 05:08 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-05-2018, 11:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Received): 26
I make no special movements when I turn. And don’t find it jerky at all. The auto turn works just like a locking differential in the auto market. Google Detroit locker, hundreds of thousands in use. When turning either way, the outside wheel needs to travel a longer distance, so it disengages while the inside wheel powers the turn. You need to use the handles to guide the blower through the turn, but it’s not difficult or out of control. I can do it with one hand. And my driveway is far from good shape, once and while it will catch a big crack and might take a little effort to keep in line, but in no way is it excessive. I’m using standard steel skids, tried armor skids and found no difference turning. They did ride better on the crappy driveway, but rode up too much in compacted snow.
With the rapidtrak dig in mode, I’m going to give them a try again, as I see no way they can ride up in dig in mode

Ariens Pro Hydro 28 Rapidtrak
Toro 2450
Toro 3650
Toro powerclear 1800

Last edited by bkwudz; 12-05-2018 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Edit
post #9 of 11 Old 12-05-2018, 05:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Received): 15
The Detroit Locker info is interesting, especially that the outside wheel disengages and the power is driven by the inside wheel.

As I mentioned I really haven't had much time to play around with the new blower. But I do have a question... I would assume that there may be a difference between the Detroit Locker and Autoturn and that is actual steering... pointing the wheels. With wheels that can be steered the inside wheels would work, but with a snowblower I'd assume that the outside wheel would be powered and the inside wheel would disengage in the same way as it would with a levered system?

Last edited by trellis; 12-05-2018 at 06:02 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-05-2018, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
mib

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellis View Post
I have a new 24SHO and I have to admit I struggled a little during the last and only 2 snows. But I really donít have enough time using the blower and I was probably as awkward with levers when I first tried them too. Between the Toro's and Ariens there are too many happy customers of these AutoTurn units in service for me to give up. So.... I will make it work. For me it's probably a little bit of slowing down, un-learning levers and learning Autoturn.

Now that the ground is frozen again ( yup I do have gravel ) I am planning on doing a dry run to try it again.

I wonder if the action is actually to pull back on one side and not to the side?

The information on the DI 500 LINK says "the DI 500 will automatically disengage one or both wheels, allowing on the spot turning." And watching the video at about 1:30 it's a bit confusing if either of the wheels is powered during a tight turn. It does look like stripping gears though. I'll be curious if I can figure out what magic steering can make that happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVuRuHGZFeA
Im sure it will take a while to get used to it for me. watching the video it show the autoturn releases both axles and lets both tires turn but even on the video it looks jerky. winter is just starting and im sure i will get more practice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page