LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 11-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 332
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 750
Very cool, thanks Ray! she's looking good!

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 11-13-2014, 02:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 11
I like both engines, I bought my 10MD6 with an H70 on it, the engine had a few issues and wasn't running properly so I repowered with the Predator. I don't think the build quality of the Predator is inferior to that of other modern engines. I have no idea if it will last 40-50 years but it probably won't because nothing today is built to last that long. I spent the last 6 months giving the H70 the attention it needed and deserved.... New coil, points, condenser, rebuilt the carb, reseated the valves and cleaned up head. I reinstalled the H70 on the Ariens and it starts 1st pull every time!! I'm sure it'll serve me well for years to come, it's just a testament to how they were built in the 60's & 70's. I do think that the build quality of the "snow king" Tecumseh's of the 90's seem to have suffered from mass production as they were found on everything not named Honda & Yamaha. I picked up a 90's MTD with a blown "snowking" for $25 and I'm going to put the Predator on it.
post #23 of 27 Old 02-23-2015, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
Tvnacman/John did you ever get it repowered ??

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #24 of 27 Old 02-23-2015, 09:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
The larger predators have a 1" shaft like my 301cc

- Ariens st1128LE 924121 with 11.5HP Tecumseh OHSK110-221735D Approx 2004
- Predator chonda 301cc 61415
My last engine rebuild was in the 70's a '64 Corvair turbo Spyder. Back then many friends were motorheads and lent me ring compressors, glaze busters and the like. So I know the concepts.
post #25 of 27 Old 03-18-2015, 02:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 5
I purchased a $99 Predator for an Ariens I'm building. A few days later I bought a 1995 Ariens that had a Predator on it. It did not throw wet snow as well as my Ariens with an old Tecumseh. Yes, it's smooth, but it didn't seem to have the torque of the Tecumseh.

I stumbled on an old Briggs 8HP snow blower engine, that's going on my blower.

My old Tecumseh 5HP motors have more torque than my newer 5HP Tecumsehs. Engine manufacturers were overstating HP ratings until recently, something that wasn't done on the 1960-1970 engines. My old 6HP feels like it has about the same power as a newer 8HP.

I have a bunch of Ariens right now, everything from 2.7HP to 8HP. All but one have Tecumseh engines. Most run great but some are "tired", they won't run well at high RPMs and they don't put out near enough power. I dug through my plowed up snow with an old Ariens 6HP and it ate it up just fine. The snow was over the bucket, packed and wet.

I should note that the old buckets have ball bearings and require less power to rotate so more power goes to throwing the snow. You can rotate the rake on an old Ariens with one finger.

I WILL use the Predator for a customer's build since they don't deal with the packed snow that I handle at work, plus I did buy the two year warranty.
post #26 of 27 Old 08-09-2019, 04:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Atlas snowblower

I have an old atlas dual stage snow thrower (model 603217-584262, s/n 300331-M162) with a 5 hp tecumseh engine. I need a 22 tooth worm gear. Where can I find one?
post #27 of 27 Old 08-10-2019, 09:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 155
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 544
Here is a picture of my ST824 that I picked up from the side of the road in 2002 or 03. It had a ventilated block so I replaced it with a Harbor Freight Chondra with the WEN name on it. I had the motor on a cranberry dry harvester since about 1996 or 7. I bought several since they were cheap and I figured they wouldn't last long, and I had 6 harvesters that I depended on and didn't want any down time when they failed. Long story short....twenty years later none have failed...the spares I kept on the shelf have all gone on to repower snowblowers or rototillers. I've gotten 20 years service out of a 2 inch water pump with the Chondra engine as well, and almost that length of service from a Greyhound powered pressure washer. My snowblower with the WEN engine is only marked at 5.5 hp..but is comparable to the many 8 hp Tecumsehs I've had and worked on with the 24 inch bucket. The only thing I've done to the Chondra in all this time is change the oil, and a few years ago I added the adjustable main jet to try it out....I think it added some power and I don't have to run it on half choke anymore. When I changed out the jet, I added the tall chute and impeller kit as well...both are worthy modifications. Pulls easily without a need for electric start....fires on first or second pull no matter the temperature...only had the governor linkage ice up one time about five years ago. Nothing against the Tecumseh, but I prefer the Predator all thinks considered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ariens ST823 personal blower 002.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	372.8 KB
ID:	156615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ariens ST823 personal blower 004.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	387.2 KB
ID:	156617  
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks eyebolt thanked for this post
Likes eyebolt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in