LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 11-17-2013, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
need another engine

Hey guys , I have an 8hp Tecumseh engine that the connection rod broke and exited the case , it broke both sides . So I was looking for a replacement engine . This is the number I got HMSK80 15548OS D3320D .

I'm a little on the lazy side I didn't want to pull the engine out till I had a replacement ready to roll . I don't know the crankshaft length or diameter .

I was looking to buy a replacement engine new or used . Perhaps you have one sitting in your shop or garage ?

Thanks in advance

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-17-2013, 10:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I have a used HM-80 that only has a hole in one side. Is that of any help to you?

I replaced mine with a 212cc Predator from Harbor Freight. I had a 1" crankshaft and the new engine was only 3/4" so I bought new pulleys too. I think the center line was a bit lower and I used shorter belts as well.
post #3 of 27 Old 11-17-2013, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
I have a used HM-80 that only has a hole in one side. Is that of any help to you?

I replaced mine with a 212cc Predator from Harbor Freight. I had a 1" crankshaft and the new engine was only 3/4" so I bought new pulleys too. I think the center line was a bit lower and I used shorter belts as well.
Thanks for the offer , I was looking to R/R for the same . I'm looking to keep it simple . If it does not go my way I may do that what was the cost and how much trouble was it ?

John
post #4 of 27 Old 11-17-2013, 12:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
The engine was on sale for $99.99. Trouble was not much.

Check craigslist for a used engine. Maybe get lucky and find a blower with a blown front auger gearcase that still has a good engine.

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines...ine-69730.html
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #5 of 27 Old 11-17-2013, 01:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post

I am considering replacing my 8hp Briggs and Stratton with a 212cc Predator too. I am not to impressed with the old Briggs. Yes it runs. But no where near as well as the Predator. Now the 11hp bolted on directly to the motor mounts? The Predator seems as powerful as the Briggs and it will use less fuel. I would like a reliable great running engine vessel a poorly running one that Burns and leaks some oil. The Predator doesn't burn a drop of oil and on this the mini-bike I have I replaced the air intake on it and rejetted it and boy does it go. It was a wheelie machine until I put 18 pounds of metal mounted in front of the engine. 12lbs over the front wheel and 6lbs mounted on the frame just in front of the engine. I love the performance now.plus at 212cc it puts out 9.5 foot pounds of torque.
post #6 of 27 Old 09-22-2014, 06:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Received): 79
a set of rings and a few seals, and the old Briggs or Tecumseh will run another 40 years. these parts are not very expensive. and no shaft height or diameter issues to deal with.

if the case is not holed it's pretty easy to just refresh the existing engine. the predator may run good "now", but it won't last as long as the old Briggs did. the metallurgy in a Briggs was far better than anything made in China today.

being it tossed a rod, you need a new case.

if the old Briggs used oil and leaked, it's because someone didn't change the oil regularly, or better yet just put Amsoil in one time and you're done. or, it just has so many service hours that it finally wore out.

I just got another 8HP Briggs running yesterday on a New Holland and those engines never cease to amaze me. it sat for so long outside it had a mouse next in the bottom of the pullstart cover, and rotted right through like swiss cheese. I put a Nova II on it and cleaned the carb, it started right up on the first pull.

to make an analogy, my last few cars ran 220,000 miles each, they were getting ready for a ring job. the 2 I have now have 205,000 and 190,000 miles on them. another one I sold and replaced had 180,000 miles and still didn't smoke. this doesn't mean they were bad cars or engines, actually it means the opposite, they were that good to give that many miles of trouble free service. the last thing I'd do is replace them with cars or engines made in China, because these American made engines ran for so long so well.

Chinese engines won't run 200,000 miles.

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines

Last edited by greatwhitebuffalo; 09-22-2014 at 06:23 AM.
post #7 of 27 Old 09-22-2014, 09:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 44
I like using what came off simply because it makes things easier. That said they were never much of an engine to start with and if you happen to find yourself in a situation where a predator bolts on with minimal effort they're not a bad choice. They're smoother, quieter, start more reliably and use less gas than an old flat head Tecumseh. Honestly the biggest issue with them is a lack of proper parts support.
post #8 of 27 Old 09-23-2014, 05:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94EG8 View Post
I like using what came off simply because it makes things easier. That said they were never much of an engine to start with and if you happen to find yourself in a situation where a predator bolts on with minimal effort they're not a bad choice. They're smoother, quieter, start more reliably and use less gas than an old flat head Tecumseh. Honestly the biggest issue with them is a lack of proper parts support.
Oldminibikes.com sells parts for the Predator 212cc engine. Piston and rings and gaskets and connecting rod. I agree that it is better than trying to resurrect an old antiquated flat head engine that makes less power per CC than than this very well built albeit Chinese engine. All the people who say the Loncin built Predator 212cc is junk have simply never seen one or owned one. Tecumseh is dead because they were complacent and the metallurgy was not all that great on them. Cool bore cylinders would wear out must faster than cast iron cylinder line bores and bushing supported crank couldn't take any near the rpms of dual ball bearing supported crankshafts. Toro has their engines made by Loncin too so they are of decent quality. Less quality than a real Honda engine but way better than Tecumseh ever made

Last edited by GustoGuy; 09-23-2014 at 05:25 AM.
post #9 of 27 Old 09-23-2014, 06:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvnacman View Post
Hey guys , I have an 8hp Tecumseh engine that the connection rod broke and exited the case , it broke both sides . So I was looking for a replacement engine . This is the number I got HMSK80 15548OS D3320D .
I'm a little on the lazy side I didn't want to pull the engine out till I had a replacement ready to roll . I don't know the crankshaft length or diameter . I was looking to buy a replacement engine new or used . Perhaps you have one sitting in your shop or garage ?
Thanks in advance
John
here are a few Tecumseh HM80 blocks on Ebay, you can buy one and populate the case with the external parts from your existing engine. that's what I'd recommend and do if it was mine. then it would be a bolt on with no mods required and be original configuration

1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
post #10 of 27 Old 09-23-2014, 06:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
here is a complete snow king

1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page