post #1 of 14 Old 12-14-2016, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Craftsman 247.88970 auger belt problem

Hello,

I have a 26in Craftsman 247.88970 snowblower and last winter I used it a handful of times and noticed a loud noise coming from the belt/pulley cover. I removed the cover and noticed that the auger belt was very loose when not under load and it was flopping around and hitting the cover. I replaced the belt thinking it was stretched with the belt recommended in the owners manual, however I am still having the same problem. I adjusted the idler pulley and auger cable as much as I could. It helped some but it still is way too loose/big. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-14-2016, 04:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Tighten nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins6983 View Post
I have a 26in Craftsman 247.88970 snowblower and last winter I used it a handful of times and noticed a loud noise coming from the belt/pulley cover. I removed the cover and noticed that the auger belt was very loose when not under load and it was flopping around and hitting the cover. I replaced the belt thinking it was stretched with the belt recommended in the owners manual, however I am still having the same problem. I adjusted the idler pulley and auger cable as much as I could. It helped some but it still is way too loose/big. Does anyone have any suggestions?

If your craftsman is the same as the one in this video - followhis advice on tightening the nut.

BrooklynDaddy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Toro Powermax 826 - 250 cc (mod: 37772)
2012 Sears Craftsman 22" -179 cc (247.88779)
2003 Sears Craftsman 24" - 5.5 HP (536.887251)
post #3 of 14 Old 12-14-2016, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I already tried adjusting it. I have it maxed out. When I installed the belt, there is a lot of slack.
post #4 of 14 Old 12-14-2016, 05:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 354
Likes (Received): 662
Check the Play in the auger Bearing. A Sloppy Bearing can cause this.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-14-2016, 06:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Received): 52
I found with this set up, that the cables stretch pretty easy. Did you slide the bracket at the back of the machine, to put more tension on the cable? If so, I would look at replacing the cable next.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
post #6 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 11:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
Some blowers had a light weight spring on the idler to just keep it touching the belt when not in use. Also some have 'guides' that mount to the frame to keep the belt from whipping. I've made a few of those for machines missing those parts. Some 1/8" rod, a good torch, something to do the bends around, a pair of snippers and a pair of vice grips is all it takes.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmels View Post
Check the Play in the auger Bearing. A Sloppy Bearing can cause this.
The auger bearing seems ok.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor City View Post
I found with this set up, that the cables stretch pretty easy. Did you slide the bracket at the back of the machine, to put more tension on the cable? If so, I would look at replacing the cable next.
I did adjust the cable bracket. It was maxed out. It did help a little but the belt is still very loose when the auger lever is not engaged. Since it was maxed it, it did also cause the augers to turn even when the lever was not engaged. It does appear that the cable may be stretched. Is there an easy way to tell?

It does seem like if the idler pulley moved closer to the belt, it would take away the slack. But I don't see any other adjustments except on the idler pulley bracket which is maxed out and the auger cable bracket. Am I missing anything else?

Thanks
post #9 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 08:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 121
Likes (Received): 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins6983 View Post
I did adjust the cable bracket. It was maxed out. It did help a little but the belt is still very loose when the auger lever is not engaged. Since it was maxed it, it did also cause the augers to turn even when the lever was not engaged. It does appear that the cable may be stretched. Is there an easy way to tell?

It does seem like if the idler pulley moved closer to the belt, it would take away the slack. But I don't see any other adjustments except on the idler pulley bracket which is maxed out and the auger cable bracket. Am I missing anything else?

Thanks
AHHH The Auger belt is supposed to be very loose when the lever is not engaged, It is moving because the cable might be a little too tight, There should also be a auger brake of sorts in the gearbox, I had a small issue with mine doing the same, When the lever is released there is a lever that has a rubber pad on it (actually looks like a rubber tube) that presses against the belt to stop the belt from catching on the drive pulley and spinning the auger, When you enguge the lever it moves the brake away and tightens the belt to engage the auger so you may have the adjustment a little tight and/or the brake may be worn down and not stopping the belt from spinning like mine was. Some thing to take a look into for you.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
AHHH The Auger belt is supposed to be very loose when the lever is not engaged, It is moving because the cable might be a little too tight, There should also be a auger brake of sorts in the gearbox, I had a small issue with mine doing the same, When the lever is released there is a lever that has a rubber pad on it (actually looks like a rubber tube) that presses against the belt to stop the belt from catching on the drive pulley and spinning the auger, When you enguge the lever it moves the brake away and tightens the belt to engage the auger so you may have the adjustment a little tight and/or the brake may be worn down and not stopping the belt from spinning like mine was. Some thing to take a look into for you.

Thanks, I will look into that. I know you say the belt is supposed to be loose when the auger is not engaged, however its so loose that it actually sits about an inch up off of the pulley, like it is too long. But I know I have the correct belt. I will put the belt back on tomorrow and take a picture of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page