post #1 of 14 Old 12-27-2016, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
High Rev and Throttle Control

Hello All,

Well after 22" of snow over Christmas I was up early and ready to plow my driveway. I have a craftsman model 247889571. Everything started out fine, normal carb issue and had to leave choked. My new carb was supposed to be delivered last week but still hasn't arrived. After about 2 hours of plowing, the engine started to rev really high in both choked and run positions. I tried to use the throttle lever to adjust but it did not control any level of speed throughout the range of the lever. It did cut the engine when it moved to stop though but again nothing between the rabbit and the tortoise if you will.

I have not taken anything apart yet but I can see the lever moving freely and I can also see the cable moving however I cannot tell the range of motion or whether or not it has any tightness or free play.

Could moisture have traveled along the cable and froze inside the cable tube? I tried it again today I have the same issue. I also noticed that if I leave the choke about half way the engine does not rev high so I let it warm up for a few minutes and also worked the throttle lever back and forth but still wants to overspeed when I move the choke to full or run.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-27-2016, 11:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 10
sounds like you have air coming in somewheres it shouldnt..

1984 Columbia 10hp-33in
2015 Columbia 420cc 28in 3xHD
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks GotZoom thanked for this post
post #3 of 14 Old 12-27-2016, 11:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 291
I suggest taking a quick look at the throttle linkage and governor arm and spring. If something is obviously bent missing or misaligned then great. There is the potential for a governor gear issue which would be a real problem.

How high is the engine revving? Is it significantly higher then when it was working properly? If so beware of catastrophic engine failure. 3600rpms is the max.
post #4 of 14 Old 12-27-2016, 11:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 479
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1088
Could be the beginning of a Govenor issue. what brand of engine is it??????????? Anyhoo ALOHA from the paradise city.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 14 Old 12-27-2016, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes, it is significantly higher than normal operation.. I did shut it down right away both when it first occurred and as I tested it today. Scared the crap out of me and of course you can't do anything fast enough in a case like this.

I will try to take it apart in the next day or two and see if anything looks kinked, bent or damaged.

Is the governor gear issue worth fixing if that is the cause. I am fairly handy with tools and youtube, but not great at taking apart small engines. Figured it would be easier to replace the carb than to rebuild it and I think it even cost me less.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-27-2016, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty013 View Post
sounds like you have air coming in somewheres it shouldnt..
That could be possible, but I am not sure I can test it with the overspeed as I do not want to kill the engine. The testing procedure I have seen is to spray carb cleaner or wd40 around all of the gasket seals to see if changes the rev. Is their another way without the possibility of further damage?
post #7 of 14 Old 12-27-2016, 11:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
Could be the beginning of a Govenor issue. what brand of engine is it??????????? Anyhoo ALOHA from the paradise city.

I agree it sounds like a governor issue or a linkage issue to the governor. If it is an older Flat head Tecumseh you need to fix it right away because the engine is in danger of blowing a connecting rod at rpms over 3600. Governors are essentially designed to slow down the engine if rpms are getting too high. Basically it is a centrifugal speed control were the governor forces the throttle to close if the engine turns at more than 3600 rpms,. Basically it is a small gear and lever assembly inside the engine, which at a certain rpm the lever extends and that movement is fed through a linkage back to the carburetor to close the throttle to prevent over revving of the engine
post #8 of 14 Old 12-27-2016, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
I honestly do not know the brand, but from what I have seen online and in reference to the model number it is one from China.. The engine part number is 952Z270-SUA which comes back to troy built and mtd
post #9 of 14 Old 12-27-2016, 11:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 479
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1088
2 options you have here, try and fix that 1 or head down to harbor freight and get a new engine 4 it. but I think parts for your engine just might be hard to find. and 4 99.00 bucks you get a shinny brand new engine.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 14 Old 12-27-2016, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
2 options you have here, try and fix that 1 or head down to harbor freight and get a new engine 4 it. but I think parts for your engine just might be hard to find. and 4 99.00 bucks you get a shinny brand new engine.
Yep.. I am starting to think new as well.

Last edited by GotZoom; 12-27-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page