LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2016, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 20
Such Rust

Our new from 2006 Craftsman 31A-3CDE799 snowblower has fought its last snowstorm. After the the Simplicity wouldn't start I pulled out the Craftsman. That little champ of a Tecumseh motor fired right up, but the belt slipped off not long I started using it. The reason? Excessive flexing of the unit. Why?

Because rust is an @#%& that's why. There's very little solid left of the blower housing. It's basically held on with two of its4 bolts, the belt, and hope and dreams.

Shame because the tractor is in good shape and everything technically works. If I could locate a front end for cheap I'd fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2016, 02:25 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
why? because its an mtd, with paper thin sheet metal and coated with the crappiest thinnest coat of paint mtd can use. love how a 10 year old mtd is completely rotted through, while the 40 plus your old ariens machines i sell usually only have some minor surface rust(almost all caused by scratches) which are easily fixable, ive never had an older one come with in with rot. usually those mtds rot at the side panels and then they collapse. just goes to show the quality of these machines. anyways it isnt kind of sad to see it like that, but i bet if you post it for 50 on craigslist somebody would buy it(i would pay 25 for a good used set of tires to swap onto ariens rims and 25 for a good used tecumseh to resell, and them i have some scrap steel leftover to use for projects and fabricating parts).
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
Old 12-28-2016, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I have made that connection. It's hilarious how badly rusted it is vs the other two machines I have.

This one is my mom's though and its lightness made it easier for her to use it. The Simplicity weights roughly nine hundred thousand tons, bless its heart (which is why its not a rot box I know).
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
Old 12-28-2016, 08:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
why? because its an mtd, with paper thin sheet metal and coated with the crappiest thinnest coat of paint mtd can use. love how a 10 year old mtd is completely rotted through, while the 40 plus your old ariens machines i sell usually only have some minor surface rust(almost all caused by scratches) which are easily fixable, ive never had an older one come with in with rot. usually those mtds rot at the side panels and then they collapse. just goes to show the quality of these machines. anyways it isnt kind of sad to see it like that, but i bet if you post it for 50 on craigslist somebody would buy it(i would pay 25 for a good used set of tires to swap onto ariens rims and 25 for a good used tecumseh to resell, and them i have some scrap steel leftover to use for projects and fabricating parts).
Not just mtd I have seen 10 yr old ariens, toros simplicitys rot out too. All related to powder coating paint

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
Old 12-28-2016, 09:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 1
The lightness came from leaving metal in the driveway every storm. Am I getting stronger?
Old 12-28-2016, 11:45 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanyoukimura View Post
. The Simplicity weights roughly nine hundred thousand tons, .
That's frickin funny. They do seem to be built out of industrial shelving first to get them up to 300+ pounds, and then bolt the engine on. My parents neighbor had a Pro 36 model that i used to joke with him needed a reverse "beeper" like a sand truck
Old 12-28-2016, 12:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 59
Man, that pic is nasty. I'd also hold out for a replacement front end. One nice thing about MTD is that they're abundant and many parts are common across their various stencil brands. You're bound to find a compatible one for cheap, if not now then at the end of winter. People usually give them up when the engine problems crop up. Future project?
Old 12-28-2016, 12:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 7
A little maintenance during it's years might have prolonged it's lifespan, wouldn't hurt to clean up any bare metal after the season or apply some Rust Check Spray. Still plenty of used parts can be salvaged for a future project.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballroomblitz View Post
A little maintenance during it's years might have prolonged it's lifespan, wouldn't hurt to clean up any bare metal after the season or apply some Rust Check Spray. Still plenty of used parts can be salvaged for a future project.
Indeed, it probably could have had better anti-corrosion maintenance. With that in mind, The Simplicity got Fluid Flimed to help protect it. She's not getting any younger!
Old 12-28-2016, 06:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 74
Thanks (Received): 179
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 618
Hey Brother....put that nice Tecumseh on the Jacobsen...just a thought. It will be good for fifty more years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in