LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-23-2017, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 0
Friction Drive System

I've got an older Craftsman 8/25. It's a Canadian model, C950-52677-9.

My question is, with tire chains on should the wheels be able to stall the engine at all?

Basically I'm chasing an issue where the wheels stop spinning when encountering heavy opposition, but the engine speed doesn't slow down at all. I feel like this should put at least some of a load on the engine...

Over the past couple of weeks, I've:

- Installed a new friction disc (the one that I replaced looked absolutely fine, didn't seem to be worn in any way, even though it had been in use for years)

- Cleaned friction wheel spotless with isopropyl alcohol

- Replaced traction drive belt (drive belt tension appears to be good, as the drive belt continues to rotate when the wheels have stopped turning)

- Replaced Idler Arm Pulley Spring

- Tightened the traction drive engagement cable as much as possible

There appears to be no worn bushings/bearings/etc. in any of the shafts connecting the friction wheel and friction disc

I feel like the friction wheel isn't being pulled hard enough against the friction disc, but there doesn't seem to be anything further I can do about this.

I should add that this "slippage" occurs when all of the components are dry, and water hasn't had a chance to lubricate anything.

I guess it seems like most snowblowers would be able to pull a car, and I'm pretty sure my wheels would just stop turning if I tried.

Thanks for any help that can be provided!

Last edited by Curtis328; 01-23-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-24-2017, 07:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 58
You might try observing the transmission (with the bottom access cover removed) while someone else is trying to move the machine forward against something to make it slip. See what still turns and what doesn't.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-24-2017, 07:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 374
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyl View Post
You might try observing the transmission (with the bottom access cover removed) while someone else is trying to move the machine forward against something to make it slip. See what still turns and what doesn't.
Agree with this suggestion and if you can do the same with the drive belt and see if there is slippage.

With a helper it should be straight forward to determine what is slipping.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-24-2017, 12:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 42
You might want to check that the roll pin on your drive gear (in the belly) is intact. When they snap, or fall out, there is often enough friction between the gear and shaft to allow forward motion except under resistance as you described, and then they will spin on their shaft. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
post #5 of 10 Old 01-24-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll give them all a try, and report back.

I should add that it's not as if the wheels have no power; I'm able to clean my driveway no problem (which is quite a feat in Winnipeg). But if I were to drive the blower into a large snow-bank, the wheels would stop turning, without the engine slowing down whatsoever.

Last edited by Curtis328; 01-24-2017 at 01:05 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-25-2017, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I think I just figured it out!

The friction wheel shaft bushing has quite a bit of play on one end of the shaft; the other end of the shaft has nearly no play whatsoever. This makes sense since the friction disc is closer to this end of the shaft, therefore this bushing would experience a great deal more cyclical radial loads.

Thanks for all of the guidance!! I'll try to grab a new bushing tomorrow, and will report back with my results.

-Curtis
post #7 of 10 Old 01-25-2017, 05:51 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 68
Don't be cheap. As long as you are in there that far replace both bushings. Pre-seasonally oil them to minimize future wear.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-25-2017, 09:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverRider View Post
Don't be cheap. As long as you are in there that far replace both bushings. Pre-seasonally oil them to minimize future wear.

Also check the shaft, I've seen them 'cut' over time with a bad bushing. Also check your belt for glazing and the insides of the pulley for a buildup of crap from a slipping belt.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-25-2017, 09:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 14
Check the trunion bearing under the friction plate as well. When it wears, the drive plate can wobble when pressure is placed on the friction wheel. My OPE repairman tells me that is what sends most of the Murray built Craftsman blower to the scrapyard. A sure symptom is when you hit a tough snow pile the blower will stop going forward and reverse itself.

Mid-1980s Craftsman C950-52677-7
8/25 Tecumseh HM80
1983 10/32 Craftsman C459.52252
HMSK110 re-power
Southern New Brunswick near Bay of Fundy
post #10 of 10 Old 01-28-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus04 View Post
Check the trunion bearing under the friction plate as well. When it wears, the drive plate can wobble when pressure is placed on the friction wheel. My OPE repairman tells me that is what sends most of the Murray built Craftsman blower to the scrapyard. A sure symptom is when you hit a tough snow pile the blower will stop going forward and reverse itself.
Thanks for the advice.

If interested, I've joined into someone else's thread who was having a similar issue:

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...-slipping.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page