LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-08-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Shear Bolt Problem

Ok guys so my dog found a small piece of 2x4 and I busted the shear bolt for one side of the auger after she left it on the back sidewalk under 2ft of fresh overnight snow. Anyways...easy fix right nope not my luck. got a near shear bolt today after work but I couldn't for the life of me find the hole or any evidence of the middle section of the bolt in the shaft. I tried lining it up with the other side but I couldn't see anything and spun it around looking as well. Any tips on how to find it? Does the auger remove from the housing easily if I have to pull the auger off to see the whole shaft to punch out the bolt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-08-2017, 09:11 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 303
Stick a sharp center punch or nail in the empty auger hole and hold it there while you slowly turn the auger backwards. Usually it'll catch on one side to get you in the ball park to inspect closer.

Last edited by jtclays; 02-08-2017 at 09:14 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-08-2017, 09:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 702
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 1197
Likes (Received): 1203
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrillerDave View Post
Ok guys so my dog found a small piece of 2x4 and I busted the shear bolt for one side of the auger after she left it on the back sidewalk under 2ft of fresh overnight snow. Anyways...easy fix right nope not my luck. got a near shear bolt today after work but I couldn't for the life of me find the hole or any evidence of the middle section of the bolt in the shaft. I tried lining it up with the other side but I couldn't see anything and spun it around looking as well. Any tips on how to find it? Does the auger remove from the housing easily if I have to pull the auger off to see the whole shaft to punch out the bolt.

What brand blower? any pictures?

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #4 of 16 Old 02-08-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
Quote:

What brand blower? any pictures?
it's a craftsman c950-52677-8.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-08-2017, 10:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 15
Make sure you use the correct replacement shear pins. If it is an 8/25, the hole in the auger is a bit larger than the one in the shaft. this is for the collar that goes on the bolt. Be sure to snug them up as well. Last year I did not and a rock jammed in the auger of my 8/25. It tore a slot in the auger about 1/2 inch long that I had to get welded. Removing the auger means taking the whole front section of the blower apart. The impeller shaft is one piece from the pulley to the gearbox.

JTClays had a good solution. There is also a bit of sideways play in the auger so it may take some fishing.

Mid-1980s Craftsman C950-52677-7
8/25 Tecumseh HM80
1983 10/32 Craftsman C459.52252
HMSK110 re-power
Southern New Brunswick near Bay of Fundy
post #6 of 16 Old 02-08-2017, 11:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 293
After you get the bolt fragment out, and since it's half apart anyways, be sure to grease the auger shaft via the grease zerk fitting, and spin it around several times to distribute the grease. Keep shoving grease in there until it oozes out the end of the auger shaft near the gearbox a bit. Do the same on the other side. Grease the shear bolts when you put them back in as well so that the next time you find a dog toy, the fragment will be easier to get out.

Also suggest you put a 30 inch stick with a bright orange flag on all random bits of 2x4 on each side and edge so you can find em. Might even discourage the dog from playing with them.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #7 of 16 Old 02-12-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
well guys I fixed it. kind of lol. So for two days I tried looking for the pin in the middle with no luck on the third day I got home from work to 3feet of fresh snow. said to heck with this I'm buying a new one next year anyways I threw the snowblower in my truck brought it down to the welying shop my mom works at and had them plug weld the one side of the auger solid. now hopefully I don't pick something up and cause unfixable damage between now and spring.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-12-2017, 10:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 90
Likes (Given): 30
Likes (Received): 227
Quote:
well guys I fixed it. kind of lol. So for two days I tried looking for the pin in the middle with no luck on the third day I got home from work to 3feet of fresh snow. said to heck with this I'm buying a new one next year anyways I threw the snowblower in my truck brought it down to the welying shop my mom works at and had them plug weld the one side of the auger solid. now hopefully I don't pick something up and cause unfixable damage between now and spring.

Not what most on this forum would have done, I'd guess.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-13-2017, 08:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 26
Likes (Received): 9
Exclamation

Quote:
You gotta be kidding, right..???

1987 Craftsman Mod.C950528108 10/28...Techumseh Engine....SOLD

2007 Honda HS1132...GX340 Honda (Neighbor's)

2018 YT624EJ Yamahoooo..!
post #10 of 16 Old 02-13-2017, 09:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 91
Thanks (Received): 183
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 421
Garage
I have a welder and I never would have, it is too irreversible, you needed to have found it even if you had to bring it to a mower repair shop, it's there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page