So, my craftsman sucked up a welcome mat. Shoot me in the face. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 02-09-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Exclamation So, my craftsman sucked up a welcome mat. Shoot me in the face.

We had a blizzard on Long Island today. I take out the Craftsman 26" Quiet 208cc Dual-Stage Zero Turn Snowblower. All goes well for the most part. We had about 1 foot of very heavy and wet snow. As I'm finishing up near my landlady's door my snowblower sucked up her thick, rubber welcome mat.

The snowblower shut off before I realized what had happened. The entire mat was torn up and snagged in the auger. It took me a few minutes to remove it. Predictably, the snowblower wouldn't start up. I'm worried that my new snowblower is really damaged. It's a new snowblower and I've only used it once before without any trouble.

Now, I only used the recoil starter a few times and quit trying after a few attempts as it was quickly getting dark. I figured I'd try it again when I had some daylight to work with tomorrow.

I didn't notice any damage to the auger but, I'm worried I've damaged something else. Any suggestions as to what I should check? What would you be checking?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Any good advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-09-2017, 08:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 3
I would check for broken auger pin. Does the auger move at all by hand? Unplug the spark plug before you try that.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
post #3 of 18 Old 02-09-2017, 08:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 9
Garage
I would make sure the auger turns freely.

Disconnect the spark plug wire.

Take the belt guard off.

Then try to turn the auger by putting your hand in the chute. Watch to not get your fingers snagged between the impeller and impeller housing, that fn hurts.

If its possible, engage the auger and look at the impeller pulley to see if there is any sideways or in and out play. Maybe have someone help you to engage and disengage while you look for play. If no play is seen, move on.

Once it's confirmed that it rotates freely and no play is seen check for broken shear pins on both augers (left and right). replace if necessary.

re plug the spark plug

Get the engine running, stalling the engine while in load might have flooded the cylinder some.

Once engine runs, in idle, engage the auger and listen for abnormal sounds and look for warped pulleys (on the engine output shaft and the impeller pulley. if all runs straight and true, then u are lucky.

shut engine and replace the belt guard.

"Itís not so much as to so little as to do with what everything is..."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 18 Old 02-09-2017, 08:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 9
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboy123 View Post
I would check for broken auger pin. Does the auger move at all by hand? Unplug the spark plug before you try that.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

lol u beat me to it, and just confirmed that it took me more than 8 mins to type my post, lolll

"Itís not so much as to so little as to do with what everything is..."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-09-2017, 11:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Received): 21
I'm not understanding why it's not starting. If auger clutch is disengaged the motor would be free.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-09-2017, 11:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 291
Id be surprised if that damaged the engine. but crazier things have happened.

Going out on a limb. If you cant get the engine to start using the electric starter, look into the possibility of a sheared flywheel keyway. Check For spark.

The flywheel has alot of momentum, a super abrupt stop can potentially cause the key to shear. You could even potentially have spark but at the wrong time. But then youd likely notice popping through he carb or muffler.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

Last edited by drmerdp; 02-09-2017 at 11:28 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-10-2017, 12:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 196
Likes (Received): 283
I too would be surprised if this damaged your engine.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-10-2017, 12:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I don't know the engine or blower in question but is it possible that there is a feature which will not allow the engine to run with a broken shear pin? Maybe check the owner's manual? OP said it was a fancy new machine.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-10-2017, 01:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Received): 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1215 View Post
I don't know the engine or blower in question but is it possible that there is a feature which will not allow the engine to run with a broken shear pin? Maybe check the owner's manual? OP said it was a fancy new machine.
Oh yeh , you mean that Bluetooth WiFi shear pin thing
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes dbert, AriensPro1128 liked this post
post #10 of 18 Old 02-10-2017, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks so much for all the responses and the wonderful advice. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have to go to work today due to the blizzard. If I do have the day off I'll be focused on getting the Snowblower running and following the great advice you've all offered here.

I'll post an update as soon as I find out what shape the blower is in. Thanks again everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page