Obsolete Drive Plate Repair Craftsman II 10-32 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-11-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 30
Obsolete Drive Plate Repair Craftsman II 10-32

History: My blower was my grandfather's and then passed to my uncle. He traded it to me for a tiny little track drive Noma blower years ago. It was well worn when I got it but functional. I removed the track system and replaced them with tires 8 or 10 years ago. Every year I dig it out of storage, remove the covers and evict the mice, top off the oil, fuel her up and use it.

This blower has never had a functional reverse since I got it, as the drive plate was heavily worn. I put a new drive wheel on it but that did not fix the problem. The drive plate is obsolete and when they do pop up they are too rich for my blood. Not that I would want to try to replace the plate anyway as it is quite a job to get to it.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...113881&thumb=1

I've been contemplating this repair for quite a while but when I saw a 5" aluminum disc on ebay I pulled the trigger. The idea is to epoxy this disc to the drive plate and create a smooth surface for the drive wheel.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...113889&thumb=1

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...113897&thumb=1

So I sanded the high spots off the drive disc and cleaned it with brake clean. After a final clean and time to let everything dry, I mixed up some 5 minute gap filling epoxy. I tried to clamp it tight but there is no room so a heavy weight was placed in the center and the disc centered carefully.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...113905&thumb=1

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...113913&thumb=1

I will give it 24 hours and see if I want to use any additional fasteners but looking good so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03979.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	113881   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03981.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	113889   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03980.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	113897   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03982.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	113905   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03983.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	113913  

There's just one thing I'll guarantee , the best things in life, they sure AIN'T FREE !!

88 Craftsman II Trac-Plus 10/32 [wheeled conversion]
71 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 [Predator 6.5 repower]
72 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 with original Tecumseh H60
7? Ariens Tractor with rotary mower attachment [Tecumseh HSK100 repower]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-11-2017, 03:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Wow... that looks great, hope it holds up and functions like new.

Currently waiting for snow...

2004 Yard Machines 8/24 For the big storms
2003 Toro Powerlite That waits in my trunk, should the need arise... shoveling... HA!... ya, don't think so.
2002 Toro 2450 Primary machine
1991/1992 Honda HS621 Backup for the 2450
post #3 of 9 Old 11-11-2017, 05:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 8
Sorry to piss all over the hard work you've already done but I'm wondering if this is really the root problem. A rough friction plate will provide more grip rather than less.

The craftsman trac system was plagued by corrosion of the driving axles within the plastic bushings. When you removed the trac system [because it wouldn't turn?] that still left one bushing per side where the axles exit the housing. I bet those two are still semi-bound up and [as I've experienced] that friction can be enough to overcome the reverse gear in the transmission.

The solution is to remove those bushings, sand the shaft, lube, and reassemble. But these steps may be nearly impossible because the bushing cant be pulled off the shaft. The redneck workaround is to drill the bushing and install a grease zerk [while assembled] then hope the introduced grease can do enough good to let it run well.

BTW, thanks for giving enough details up front that readers can understand what is going on.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-11-2017, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The bushings on the driveshaft have been replaced by bronze bushings by grinding the bearing plate flat and drilling the hex portion to 1". They are held in by a spacer cut to length when I ditched the track system. The wheels and axles are free to move as intended. The tracks were removed because they split after the blower was stored on top of some broken bricks or similar sharp edged object.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...2-dsc03984.jpg

Unfortunately my photos did not illustrate how badly worn the drive plate was. The valleys [grooves] worn in the drive plate were directly under where the wheel would ride when the unit was in reverse. When the wheel was shifted across to the forward side of the drive, it tended to ride on the ridges except in 3. It would not move in that position. I even tried moving the adjustment of the shift rod without much success. I had to adjust the cross slide slightly because the plate I used was 1/16" thick. I eyeballed it while twisting it with a pipe wrench. Here it is with the drive wheel reinstalled. I want to give it 24hrs to cure before the road test.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...113969&thumb=1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03984.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	113961   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03985.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	113969  

There's just one thing I'll guarantee , the best things in life, they sure AIN'T FREE !!

Last edited by deezlfan; 11-11-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #5 of 9 Old 11-12-2017, 07:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 319
I hope it all works out for you, a creative solution. More a question than anything, I'm wondering if a friction plate from another brand of machine might be a substitute for yours? Second thought is I know there's something called spray welding to build up metal parts, I wonder if there's something similar to that for aluminum and if that could be done with friction discs?
post #6 of 9 Old 11-12-2017, 09:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 404
Garage
I like the idea of epoxing another plate on. Would you report back at the end of the season how this worked? I would have tack welded another plate on, easily cut round with a jig saw, but I like your idea better.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #7 of 9 Old 11-12-2017, 12:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezlfan View Post
Unfortunately my photos did not illustrate how badly worn the drive plate was.
Something like this for example? This is off my dad's early 80's Ariens blower, still in use... i had never seen anything like it, noticed this when i offered to perform some basic maintenance on it. 1st and reverse are useless but 4th functions, he just leaves it in second.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161129_134815.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	114001  

Currently waiting for snow...

2004 Yard Machines 8/24 For the big storms
2003 Toro Powerlite That waits in my trunk, should the need arise... shoveling... HA!... ya, don't think so.
2002 Toro 2450 Primary machine
1991/1992 Honda HS621 Backup for the 2450

Last edited by TheFanMan; 11-12-2017 at 12:33 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-12-2017, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'm sure a different brand of disc could be adapted but that goes back to having to disassemble the drive mechanism, a project I was really trying to avoid.

Spray welding is still way past the worth of this machine. It too would require disassembly and additional machining.

Welding would be a possible solution. The problems I see include the fact that the drive disc is cast aluminum of unknown composition and the plate being welded on is so thin. It certainly could be done by the right person but I am not him. I suspect a good welder would expect compensation in line with his talent. Again, well past my financial comfort zone.

Anyway, the machine has been reassembled and given a 15 minute road test. I need to buy a rod end for the shift rod as the bottom keeps popping off when I try to shift. A temporary repair shows I have reverse again. Once I fix the shifter I will adjust the tension on the drive wheel and wait for snow. The epoxy repair didn't budge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03986.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	114009  

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #9 of 9 Old 11-12-2017, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFanMan View Post
Something like this for example? This is off my dad's early 80's Ariens blower, still in use... i had never seen anything like it, noticed this when i offered to perform some basic maintenance on it. 1st and reverse are useless but 4th functions, he just leaves it in second.

Nah man mine wasn't near that bad but it does illustrate the exact problem I was having. Looks like he must be in a sandy area.

Last edited by deezlfan; 11-12-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page