LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-16-2014, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
536.909800 Belt issues

I finally got around to getting new belts. I ordered the same ones as called for in the manual and on sears web site. I put them on today and adjusted everything i could find out to make more slack...but it doesnt seem to be enough. The auger turns all the time rather its engaged or not and if started in gear the thing will take off without you! So basically the clutch handle has turned useless. How do I adjust the belts so they arent so tight. Its like the motor or the lower pulleys need to go up or down in respect to their location. I used belts 49570 and 49581 both murray brand belts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-16-2014, 08:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
I don't have a lot of time now and will poke around later but are the belts in the right spot? Are the switched by mistake? Idler pulleys on the outside of the belts?

Sounds silly but we have all made those king of goofs
post #3 of 19 Old 01-16-2014, 11:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 197
Likes (Received): 283
Hello again awg. Sorry to hear you are having belt problems again. I know this wont help matters, but I broke my what appeared to be oem auger belt during a storm. Ran to napa and got a generic 38 inch utility belt and it's been working fine. shrugs.
post #4 of 19 Old 01-16-2014, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes checked the belts they are in the correct spot and idlers on the outsde of the belts
post #5 of 19 Old 01-17-2014, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ok today messed with it some more. To the point that I am literally out of ideas.
Pulled both belts off, sanded the pulleys smooth on the inside, was smooth before but went over them again. Put the belts back on, verified correct location with diagram. Adjusted the upper and lower belt guides. Checked the auger idler was adjust as far out as possible. Started it and same thing. Drive is turning and auger is turning like it is suppose to when running. i looked down when the engagement clutch lever is not engaged the idlers arent even touching the belts! To me it looks like the belts are too short or something. With the clutch handle unengaged i put it in gear and it takes off as if it was engaged. Any ideas or help? I hate to ditch these expensive oem belts.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-17-2014, 02:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
We determined before that ours are similar but different. I think my machine is a year or two older. My drive belt has no clutch. You have to select neutral with the friction disk.

Here is a photo of my auger belt with idler in a disengaged position. There is significant pressure applied with the two tools wedged between the belt and pulley. The best I can offer you is that this is enough slack that my auger does not rotate unless I engage the idler.
When I replaced this with a generic NAPA belt back in November I did nothing but put it on. You can see the idler is set to max tension, I didn't adjust anything because auger on/off simply worked.
Again, this is just to give you the warm fuzzy that it's not a lack of slack in belt tension issue.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-17-2014, 03:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Also, I don't know exactly how much pressure is on my auger brake, but it's not much. I can easily lift it off the auger pulley with my fingertips. Even with the brake set I can easily reach in and turn the large auger pulley again with just fingertip pressure.
Here is what my brake pad looks like today. Not sure what it looked like 30 years ago.

Last edited by dbert; 01-17-2014 at 03:16 PM.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-17-2014, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I think I have my auger issue fixed...at least on the last trial it was. I found another belt guide that needed adjusted. Now back to the drive belt. The way mine works is, or seems like it should...When i squeeze the handle it pulls an idler pulley in to tighten the drive belt to make the friction disk spin. However, with the old belt the disk didnt spin until i squeezed the lever. Now at this time, rather the lever is squeezed or not the belt spins and the friction disk spins even though the idler pulley which is suppose to engage it is not touching the belt. Therefore, if its in gear when i start it, it takes off driving away.
It was nice before hand because when i let go of the lever while snow blowing the whole machine stopped instantly...that is gone now. Seems like either the book has the wrong part number, there is an adjustment im missing or the pulleys on the motor shaft arent original? The drive pulley is smaller than the auger pulley. I have the belt guides set to 1/16" away from the belts when engaged...however, that only seems to work on the auger because its a bigger pulley. almost like i need a belt guide specially for the drive to hold it in when disengaged.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-17-2014, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like

post #10 of 19 Old 01-17-2014, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Of course some of them are upside down...sorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page