LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-22-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 58
Craftsman name showing up in new places

As most of you must know by now, Sears is trying to survive in the US and is in the process of shutting down completely in Canada. In their efforts to keep afloat they sold off some of their brand names like Kenmore and Craftsman. The Craftsman name was bought by Stanley Black and Decker, and it was only a matter of time before the brand started to appear in non-Sears stores.

Well today I came across this:

https://www.renodepot.com/en/brand/craftsman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-22-2017, 11:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 625
Thanks (Received): 152
Likes (Given): 912
Likes (Received): 972
Garage
i'm not buying craftsman anymore except the old stuff at garage sales that were made in the USA.

recently bought a quarter inch socket set at Ace and the wratchet worked for 2 days .

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #3 of 12 Old 12-22-2017, 12:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
The quality of Sears house brands has deteriorated significantly. Whirlpool just pulled their relationship with Sears, after something like 50 years, and Craftsman tools haven't been the same for the past decade. Quality has been slipping.

I've been buying Husky, for the main reason my dad had a set from back in the 60s. I know they're owned by Home Despot now, however, they seem to be a decent tool, but I'm biased from growing up with them.

Black and Decker owns a lot of names including MAC, DeWalt, Irwin, Porter Cable which are not bad tools, so they CAN build quality, they choose not to for Craftsman.
post #4 of 12 Old 12-22-2017, 12:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 30
I am not 100% sure but I don't think the outdoor power equipment was part of that deal to Stanley. Every article I could find mentions the Craftsman tool line with no mention of the OPE.

Doesn't really matter as it appears Sears is a goner no matter what but someone will be willing to use the trade name long into the future.

There's just one thing I'll guarantee , the best things in life, they sure AIN'T FREE !!

88 Craftsman II Trac-Plus 10/32 [wheeled conversion]
71 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 [Predator 6.5 repower]
72 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 with original Tecumseh H60
7? Ariens Tractor with rotary mower attachment [Tecumseh HSK100 repower]
post #5 of 12 Old 12-22-2017, 12:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 30
Quote:
Black and Decker owns a lot of names including MAC, DeWalt, Irwin, Porter Cable which are not bad tools, so they CAN build quality, they choose not to for Craftsman.
Sort of ironic that Black and Decker could have acquired all those brands over the years. When I was a kid, their ugly green power tools were the worst junk available. Maybe their home appliances and coffee makers made them some money.

There's just one thing I'll guarantee , the best things in life, they sure AIN'T FREE !!

88 Craftsman II Trac-Plus 10/32 [wheeled conversion]
71 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 [Predator 6.5 repower]
72 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 with original Tecumseh H60
7? Ariens Tractor with rotary mower attachment [Tecumseh HSK100 repower]
post #6 of 12 Old 12-23-2017, 08:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 319
I have to agree that Craftsman hand tools isn't what it once was, and that's from a guy that bought his first Craftsman wrenches over 50 years ago. Most of mine are over 20-30 yrs old, so they're the good ones.
I've bought some wrenches from HF, decent wrenches if you discount the poor quality chroming they have. Crescent from Menards seem good, Husky seems good I don't remember the brand name from Lowes but haven't had a problem with them either. I had a similar problem with a 5/16" socket from Ace, snapped the first time I used it.

This is from a guy that always bought Craftsman, Snap-on and Mac tools for decades.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-23-2017, 09:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 94
HCBPH
glad i'm not alone, craftsman 50 plus years ago where in every techs tool box. broke it, we took it back and got a new one no questions asked ,now they check them out and try to say abused. or they no longer make anything like what you have,like the long solid handle 1/2 inch ratchets. not that mac and snap-on are not any better today. OH you used it on a air gun. not covered, no i haven't it's 30 or 40 years old, tough looks that way. it will bounce back at me.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-23-2017, 10:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 625
Thanks (Received): 152
Likes (Given): 912
Likes (Received): 972
Garage
I'm buying more tools from amazon and have been happy with them. Neiko and Tekron , Gearwrench .

I'm not a professional so don't need these everyday but they seem well built. Before my Dad passed he gave me all his old tools. Craftsman, Husky, some Snap-On. and others made in USA

These are all over 60-70 years and he was a mechanic and they got a lot of use. Still in great condition.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #9 of 12 Old 12-23-2017, 10:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezlfan View Post
I am not 100% sure but I don't think the outdoor power equipment was part of that deal to Stanley. Every article I could find mentions the Craftsman tool line with no mention of the OPE.

Doesn't really matter as it appears Sears is a goner no matter what but someone will be willing to use the trade name long into the future.
Stanley is owned by Black and Decker too.

I found this after a quick search, all owned by B&D:

STANLEY

DeWalt

Black+Decker

Craftsman

Irwin

Porter Cable

Facom

Lenox

STANLEY Engineered Fastening

Lista

Mac Tools

STANLEY Security

Vidmar

Bostitch

STANLEY Healthcare

STANLEY Infrastructure

Sonitrol

STANLEY Access Technologies

Proto

Inner Space

Aero Scout
post #10 of 12 Old 12-23-2017, 11:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 17
Sure! Tools joined a long line of products not up to the quality of years ago. I got many tools from my father who bought them 50 years ago. And they can still outperform much of the stuff made today. Much of mine are SK, an excellent brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page