Craftsman Drift Breaker 536.882702 5289 Restoration 10 hp 32" 2nd Generation - Page 18 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171 of 176 Old 03-20-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 25
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
So how is it working for you ?? Do you notice much of a difference with the chute extension ??

I don't really see much of a difference, but it certainly looks badass. I can't believe how good this blower works and the HF engine is a great engine out of the box. I will recommend that you raise the high speed rpm on the linkage a bit higher than stock. It makes a big difference in power and throwing distance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 176 Old 03-20-2019, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenwalk View Post
Just found this thread, right as I was finishing up the instal of a 420 on a Drift Breaker. It was interesting to see how there were similarities and differences. The biggest one is that I raised the engine 1/2" to clear the oil caps as they interfered with the auger control on the right and the chute control on the left. Raising it up made it all fit beautifully. The only problem I now have is modding the cover to fit over the pulley.

Now here's the question. You added a battery to run lights, grips, power chute and starter. Did you install a generator to keep the battery charged? If not, how do you keep it charged? BTW, what do you do in the off season with the battery? I an thinking of seeing if the old Tecumseh generator will fit on the HF engine. Did you look into that?
Read newer posts. The Tech Generator is AC and wouldn't work to charge battery. The 420 is supposed to charge the battery if hooked up correctly from what I understand. I use a battery out of a honda jetski and use it for the ski in the summer and the blower in the winter. I have used the blower all winter without charging it at all. All of the added electrics work great. Turn the high speed throttle screw in to raise high speed RPM's. It makes a big difference.
post #173 of 176 Old 03-20-2019, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenwalk View Post
Now here's the question. You added a battery to run lights, grips, power chute and starter. Did you install a generator to keep the battery charged? If not, how do you keep it charged? BTW, what do you do in the off season with the battery? I an thinking of seeing if the old Tecumseh generator will fit on the HF engine. Did you look into that?
to SBF Owenwalk

The HF engines are clones of Honda engines so I'm almost positive nothing from a Tecumseh is going to fit. Maybe the gas tank with a little modification
There are kits out there to add a charging coil to some of the HF engines but I thought the the big 420 had a charging circuit and came with 12 Volt electric start off the shelf?
https://www.harborfreight.com/13-hp-...arb-69736.html

Charging coils: https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Ign...RoCwmQQAvD_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Charging-Co...-/253293335872

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #174 of 176 Old 03-20-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
to SBF Owenwalk

The HF engines are clones of Honda engines so I'm almost positive nothing from a Tecumseh is going to fit. Maybe the gas tank with a little modification
There are kits out there to add a charging coil to some of the HF engines but I thought the the big 420 had a charging circuit and came with 12 Volt electric start off the shelf?
https://www.harborfreight.com/13-hp-...arb-69736.html

Charging coils: https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Ign...RoCwmQQAvD_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Charging-Co...-/253293335872
Yea the 420 is supposed to charge battery out of box
post #175 of 176 Old 08-25-2019, 04:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCBPH View Post
I've restored a 536.882700 blower that was in really sad condition when I got it in the past. It's a sound structure, very well built machine but totally abused when I got it. I documented what I did to disassemble it and rebuild it, it was one really sad case when I bought it. In fact I bought it for the electric starter and planned to part it out, but decided to rebuild it instead. There was virtually no area in this blower or engine that I didn't touch, everything was in really sad (rusty or broken) state when I got it but it turned out well in the end. Even the engine was salvageable when I got done, and it's unbelievable how bad it looked when I initially got it.

The last digit of the model number apparently depends on whether the unit came with an electric starter or not when purchased from what I can tell.

I do have a doc on the machine as I went through it if you're interested in a copy along with a doc on what I do to get auger rakes that are rusted onto the auger shaft off. I have them both in pdf and doc format (the machine rebuild along with one on getting rusted auger rakes off). If interested, send me a pm with your email address and I can send you a copy of each of them if interested.

I have to admit getting the auger rakes off can be a problem. typically I use a combination of penetrant, heat and pressure to get them loose. I also made some special tools to help shock them and hopefully break the rust loose between the rakes and the shaft. One thing I do is once they're off, clean and paint the shaft then coat them with anti-seize to help reduce the chance of them rusting solid again (this model blower does have a full width auger shaft in it).

Where did you get the replacement stickers after you painted it?

R
post #176 of 176 Old 09-01-2019, 09:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Received): 322
I didn't, I taped over the existing stickers when working on it and repainting. Sorry, never found a replacement sticker source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page