Craftsman Drift Breaker 536.882702 5289 Restoration 10 hp 32" 2nd Generation - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 174 Old 12-24-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 23
Garage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 536.882702 5289 Restoration 10 hp 32" 2nd Generation

As promised here is the restoration of my Drift Breaker 536.882702. Unfortunately this one is a little on the rusty side.

I bought this guy from a small engine repair person just east of Pittsburgh Penn and had it shipped by Fastenal to Danbury, Ct. I have deconstructed it and have ordered all parts that I think I will need. The plan is to replace all known bad parts and try it out-then tear it all apart and paint it.

Parts ordered:
Flange bearing 3/4 inch for the axle UCF 204-12 Ebay
Flange bearing 1 inch for the auger SARFT205-16 1" Ebay
B&S Cable for the Chute 78059MA
1630RS Bearing for the auger drive shaft.
2 sprockets Martin brand 41BS14 1 Ebay for the 3rd stage drive chain. Mine are shot and I cut the welds and removed them from the auger and top drift breaker.
NOS Piston rings 34866A
Head gasket
Engine side cover gasket

I have inspected the Transmission mounts and they look great and are tight.

I the auger tines are rusted to the front gear case shafts and I can't get them apart. I don't want to heat them because I don't want to burn the seals in the gear case. I have penetrating oil on them now. Any recommendations for getting them apart is welcome.

The Bearing for the Auger drive shaft had seized and screwed up the drive shaft which I will have to Mig weld and file down back to 3/4"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1090.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	120233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1091.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	120241   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1092.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	120249   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1082.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	120257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1093.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	120265  

Name:	IMG_1094.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	120273   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1083.JPG
Views:	628
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	120281  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 174 Old 12-24-2017, 11:15 AM
Sid

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 32
If those augers are like my Sears/Murray, the shafts on the gearbox, they are stubs about 4 or 5" long. You can tap them all around as much as you can with a small hammer enough to slightly expand them a bit to loosen them enough to start working them off, along with the penetrating oil or that other concoction, transmission fluid and I think acetone. That might help.
Sid

'66 Sears/Murray 26"
'71 Jakobson 17 SnowBlitz
post #3 of 174 Old 12-24-2017, 11:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1632
Likes (Received): 381
Welcome sockfeet!

Unfortunately I'm afraid you're going to need alot of heat on those auger rakes...and patience.

I've had luck going back-and-forth using heat/penetrant (I like acetone + ATF) and a homemade electrolysis tank.

You'll then need to decide if you're going to push (shot press) or pull (puller) on the auger shafts...maybe both.

It looks like someone has already taken a crack at trying to remove them:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #4 of 174 Old 12-24-2017, 11:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 151
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 526
Wow...that is an ambitious project!..If it were me....I'd paint while I was restoring and assemble it only once.......come on...have some self confidence!
post #5 of 174 Old 12-24-2017, 12:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1632
Likes (Received): 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
If those augers are like my Sears/Murray, the shafts on the gearbox, they are stubs about 4 or 5" long. You can tap them all around as much as you can with a small hammer enough to slightly expand them a bit to loosen them enough to start working them off, along with the penetrating oil or that other concoction, transmission fluid and I think acetone. That might help.
Sid
Good call Sid! That is indeed a stub-axle. I guess the good news is that there's less axle inside of the rake.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #6 of 174 Old 12-24-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
I get that theory of restoring but I want to feel it out and see if the engine is even worth bothering with. If the engine is even slightly suspect, I am going to put a new one on. The Sprockets are going to be the challenge as well as the auger tines.

I am on the hunt for another 10 Hp 32" drift breaker for a friend as well. Please let me know if you see any more of these out there. I don't have any problem shipping them distances. The new snow blowers are such garbage, I don't care if this takes me 100 hours and $1000 to restore.
post #7 of 174 Old 12-25-2017, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
Welcome sockfeet!

Unfortunately I'm afraid you're going to need alot of heat on those auger rakes...and patience.

I've had luck going back-and-forth using heat/penetrant (I like acetone + ATF) and a homemade electrolysis tank.

You'll then need to decide if you're going to push (shot press) or pull (puller) on the auger shafts...maybe both.

It looks like someone has already taken a crack at trying to remove them:
There was a bolt in where the shear pin would go and it broke when I tried to get it out. I have since drilled it out. I have used the map gas to heat up the auger and sprayed oil every where.
post #8 of 174 Old 12-25-2017, 07:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Received): 319
I've restored a 536.882700 blower that was in really sad condition when I got it in the past. It's a sound structure, very well built machine but totally abused when I got it. I documented what I did to disassemble it and rebuild it, it was one really sad case when I bought it. In fact I bought it for the electric starter and planned to part it out, but decided to rebuild it instead. There was virtually no area in this blower or engine that I didn't touch, everything was in really sad (rusty or broken) state when I got it but it turned out well in the end. Even the engine was salvageable when I got done, and it's unbelievable how bad it looked when I initially got it.

The last digit of the model number apparently depends on whether the unit came with an electric starter or not when purchased from what I can tell.

I do have a doc on the machine as I went through it if you're interested in a copy along with a doc on what I do to get auger rakes that are rusted onto the auger shaft off. I have them both in pdf and doc format (the machine rebuild along with one on getting rusted auger rakes off). If interested, send me a pm with your email address and I can send you a copy of each of them if interested.

I have to admit getting the auger rakes off can be a problem. typically I use a combination of penetrant, heat and pressure to get them loose. I also made some special tools to help shock them and hopefully break the rust loose between the rakes and the shaft. One thing I do is once they're off, clean and paint the shaft then coat them with anti-seize to help reduce the chance of them rusting solid again (this model blower does have a full width auger shaft in it).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Original_Ad_Picture.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	120417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished_Side.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	120425  

Last edited by HCBPH; 12-25-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes aldfam4 liked this post
post #9 of 174 Old 12-25-2017, 07:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Received): 319
Found some pictures of a auger assembly where the rakes were rusted on solid. Like I said I typically use penetrant, heat & pressure to get them off. You have to be careful using the one tool I made to help shock them loose. Here's a brief set of pictures that show some of the various steps I use. Which are used depends on the conditions encountered so there's more than used in every situation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AugerHolder3.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	120433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Auger_Movement.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	120441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001327.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	120449   Click image for larger version

Name:	HydraulicPress.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	120457   Click image for larger version

Name:	AugerBeaters3.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	120465  

Name:	Auger_Gearbox2.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	120473  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Sid liked this post
post #10 of 174 Old 12-25-2017, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCBPH View Post
I've restored a 536.882700 blower that was in really sad condition when I got it in the past. It's a sound structure, very well built machine but totally abused when I got it. I documented what I did to disassemble it and rebuild it, it was one really sad case when I bought it. In fact I bought it for the electric starter and planned to part it out, but decided to rebuild it instead. There was virtually no area in this blower or engine that I didn't touch, everything was in really sad (rusty or broken) state when I got it but it turned out well in the end. Even the engine was salvageable when I got done, and it's unbelievable how bad it looked when I initially got it.

The last digit of the model number apparently depends on whether the unit came with an electric starter or not when purchased from what I can tell.

I do have a doc on the machine as I went through it if you're interested in a copy along with a doc on what I do to get auger rakes that are rusted onto the auger shaft off. I have them both in pdf and doc format (the machine rebuild along with one on getting rusted auger rakes off). If interested, send me a pm with your email address and I can send you a copy of each of them if interested.

I have to admit getting the auger rakes off can be a problem. typically I use a combination of penetrant, heat and pressure to get them loose. I also made some special tools to help shock them and hopefully break the rust loose between the rakes and the shaft. One thing I do is once they're off, clean and paint the shaft then coat them with anti-seize to help reduce the chance of them rusting solid again (this model blower does have a full width auger shaft in it).

I have been studying your posts of this unit and i was hoping you would ad your $.02. I wish I could have found one in better condition and not as rusty.
I am going to try your some of your methods for separating the Rakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in