LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 01-24-2014, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Stalls when wet

Hi, I've had this problem year after year and would love to solve it. My 8.5 B&S will start fine but once I start working and snow starts blowing back onto the engine, it will stall. I've made a few makeshift moisture shields, choke washer, replaced the gas cap without any success. I know this model has this problem from reading some other posts around the web. If there is no wind, and just a few inched to blow, it runs like a champ. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 01-24-2014, 11:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 266
Likes (Received): 108
Welcome to SBF! That must be so frustrating. Does it start right back up again after it quits? Does it sputter for a while before it quits, or does it just stop?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Larry
Snow Removal Equipment:
2014 Ariens Platinum 24
A collection of shovels that I try to avoid using
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 39 Old 01-24-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Sputters a bit - I can keep it going if I turn on choke. And it will start back up!

Thanks
post #4 of 39 Old 01-24-2014, 03:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 4
are you able to reproduce the problem by misting water (ex: with a spray bottle) towards the carb?

-Ken

2011 John Deere 1330se

post #5 of 39 Old 01-24-2014, 03:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
If you can start back up with choke, you could be experiencing "carburetor icing." Moisture condenses and freezes in your carburetor throat. The "cold" condition requires a richer mixture to run effectively, thus the need for choke. You've got to keep the snow away from your carburetor with a baffle of some sort. Run her on a warm day with no snow and see if it still happens. That will eliminate weather as the cause. Good luck. MH
post #6 of 39 Old 01-24-2014, 04:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 7
I've had this issue with two of my three blowers. I solved all of them by putting a cotton cloth in front of the intake for the cooling air opening around the recoil start. Hang it by four 3" copper wire, black as the engine. I put a hole in the cloth for the pull rope. I have not had this issue with my last B S engine. I'm forced to blow all my snow to the East, so when the wind is wrong I ice up my carb. Once I retired I just waited till the wind died.
You just give the cloth a good pull and the snow falls off so you resume ample air to cool your engine. Not hurt the engine yet.
This is a common problem in this area of high winds.
post #7 of 39 Old 01-24-2014, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I will try the water misting test. Even on a cold day if I start it up and let it run it idles fine. Also the muffler is very close to the carb

Thanks
post #8 of 39 Old 01-24-2014, 04:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
I have the briggs 8.5 as well and I have had problems as well. Here is a link to a thread that I am guessing you have already seen. Follow the link in post #15.
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...ower-swap.html
post #9 of 39 Old 01-24-2014, 06:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by scipper77 View Post
I have the briggs 8.5 as well and I have had problems as well. Here is a link to a thread that I am guessing you have already seen. Follow the link in post #15.
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...ower-swap.html
Following that thread into another showed one case where the problem was due to a faulty ground on the safety key. Moisture from the snow caused the safety key to ground out.

-Ken

2011 John Deere 1330se

post #10 of 39 Old 01-24-2014, 06:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestminsterFJR View Post
Following that thread into another showed one case where the problem was due to a faulty ground on the safety key. Moisture from the snow caused the safety key to ground out.
If that thread showed me anything it is that the Briggs 8.5 is very problematic. I only wish I had a clear idea what the problems really are. Tell me what is wrong and I can fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page