LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-25-2014, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Chute Control freezes

Help - 26" craftsman Snow Thrower 2-way Joystick Chute Control freezes. I have to use a hair dryer to unfreeze. I have had this snow blower for 6 years and never have had this trouble. Has anyone else experienced this issue and what is the resolution? Thanks !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-25-2014, 10:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
I had the same issue. I had a cable lubricating tool that was used for greasing cables on my dirtbikes and quads but it works for any cable. I greased the cable and never had a issue after.
just google cable lubricator and you will see what I am talking about if you do not understand. there only a few bucks and well worth it.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-25-2014, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyman View Post
I had the same issue. I had a cable lubricating tool that was used for greasing cables on my dirtbikes and quads but it works for any cable. I greased the cable and never had a issue after.
just google cable lubricator and you will see what I am talking about if you do not understand. there only a few bucks and well worth it.
Thanks for the reply - my concern is there must be moisture in the cable as it keeps freezing up after I thaw with the hair dryer. I did use WD40 after I loosened it up last time but it refroze
post #4 of 12 Old 01-25-2014, 10:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
thing is with WD40 is that it is water based. using the lubricating tool and a proper cable lubricant will push all the water out and lubricate the cable at the same time. you can usually get these at any atv/ dirtbike dealer for very cheap and is will worth it over the aggravation and frustration.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-25-2014, 05:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 266
Likes (Received): 107
Quote:
thing is with WD40 is that it is water based. using the lubricating tool and a proper cable lubricant will push all the water out and lubricate the cable at the same time. you can usually get these at any atv/ dirtbike dealer for very cheap and is will worth it over the aggravation and frustration.
I'm not arguing with your solution CM, but WD40 is sure not water based. WD stands for water displacement. It displaces water, but it evaporates fairly quickly. That's why it's not a long term lubricating solution, you have to keep re-applying it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Larry
Snow Removal Equipment:
2014 Ariens Platinum 24
A collection of shovels that I try to avoid using
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-25-2014, 05:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
That i did not know. I assumed it was cause i have never had any luck with using it in sub 0 temps.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-25-2014, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
That i did not know. I assumed it was cause i have never had any luck with using it in sub 0 temps.
I really appreciate all of the replies but I can't be the only one experiencing this type of problem (and still need a long term solution)
post #8 of 12 Old 01-25-2014, 05:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 266
Likes (Received): 107
Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of WD40. I think there are better choices out there for everything WD40 does.

Larry
Snow Removal Equipment:
2014 Ariens Platinum 24
A collection of shovels that I try to avoid using
post #9 of 12 Old 01-25-2014, 06:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman27 View Post
I really appreciate all of the replies but I can't be the only one experiencing this type of problem (and still need a long term solution)
Your not the only one. I said in my first reply that i HAD the same issue. But in doing the procedure i noted above i havent had an issue after.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-25-2014, 07:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
I think it was posted where they put anti freeze in there cable so it wouldn't freeze. gaylanhd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page