Tecumseh 5.5hp Craftsman 247.88355.0 Electric Starter Question(s) - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-09-2018, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 0
Tecumseh 5.5hp Craftsman 247.88355.0 Electric Starter Question(s)

Hi Guys! I just spent the better part of several shifts going thru the threads to try and find any information like I need
Well anyway
I inherited a Craftsman Snowblower 5.5hp Tecumseh Engine the Craftsman P/N is 247.88355.0
from my Mom in law after she passed, and seems like this one did go thru the wars!
She was in Hurricane Sandy and it survived (somehow) Anyway I just changed the oil and replaced
the Carb to get her running, but when I tried the Electric Starter, nothing, It seems to have
seized up. From what little info I have found on line about it and the part number of the starter itself
which I believe to be a 33290E, I got one online, however upon installing it, it seems like the starter
gear itself is in the wrong position to fire the engine. When I apply 120vac to it, the gear pulls back
completely missing the engine gear. Does anybody know if someone pulled a fast one on me
and threw in another starter (other) than the one that's supposed to be mounted on there???
Or am I just totally spastic???

Mike
Tottenville, NYC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-10-2018, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3830
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
to SBF Mike

The aluminum snout should mount over the flywheel ring gear and when power is applied it should pull the gear back toward the body of the starter motor engaging the starter bendix gear into the flywheel ring gear.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	starter.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	131202  

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ka2aev thanked for this post
Likes ka2aev liked this post
post #3 of 5 Old 02-10-2018, 06:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 319
If that picture is like the one you had, it's been a couple of years since I worked on a 5 hp but it appears to be the same as yours so here goes. I'm doing this all by memory so if something doesn't align, take that into consideration.
There's a tab on the flywheel cover that has to be removed to mount the starter. The gear on the starter pulls back towards the motor to engage the starter ring on the flywheel.
Now for the testing.
first without the starter mounted, plug it in and holding the motor assembly to prevent it from rotating hit the button and see if the gear is pulled towards the motor or not. I've had some that were stuck on the shaft. A little cleanup and white grease or oil took care of that.
Check the gear on your old starter and the replacement to insure they're both the same. There are 2 different gears available on larger hp motors, don't know if the small one are all the same or not.
If everything looks good up to this point, I'd take off the flywheel cover and sparkplug and temporarily mount the starter and see if when it's engaged if it turns the motor over or not. take particular attention to the condition of the starter ring on the flywheel.
When assembling the engine, IIRC you have to have the flywheel cover on and slide the starter in so the gear is forward of the starter ring on the flywheel so it will engage properly.

All I can think of right now. Do your testing and come back with the results if you need further help. Also pictures will help, it's easier to see what's going on.

Good luck, let us know.
Paul
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ka2aev thanked for this post
Likes ka2aev liked this post
post #4 of 5 Old 02-10-2018, 01:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 42
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 43
Try tapping on it with the wood handle of a hammer. Don't go crazy and have it plugged in and pushing the button at the same time. The will stick from lack of use, sometimes. If you gett it spinning, and it doesn't turn over the motor. The gear is not engaging to the flywheel. You'll have to pull it off and free up the gear. There are threads on the shaft it spins on. I usually spray WD40 an clean up the shaft, and lube it.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
post #5 of 5 Old 02-10-2018, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks guys for all the info, We in the middle of a bad stretch of rainy weather right now so I should be able to get to it when it clears out a bit
I'll report back with Pictures hopefully successfully when I get a chance
Again
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page