Sears Craftsman 10 HP 32" Track drive 536.885000 renovation - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 02-10-2018, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 25
Garage
Sears Craftsman 10 HP 32" Track drive 536.885000 renovation

I decided to post a separate thread for this machine. This is going to be down and dirty fixer and fliper.

Like previous people stated, the sprockets on the axel shaft is a total disaster to get off. I used a puller and two 1/4 inch bolts. The only way to get them off with the resources I have was to slit them with a cut off wheel and spread with a small chisel. I heated up the track wheels with MAP gas and pounded the axles out on the vise.

I don't want to give up my wheels from my spare drift breaker. so I think I am going to clean up the track drive up and reuse it. Thoughts? I haven't found any other used wheels and tires locally.

I did get it running with a 10 min quick carb clean. It seemed to run ok but I didn't put a load on it.

Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1329.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	131361   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1330.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	131369   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1331.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	131377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1332.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	131385   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1333.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	131393  

Name:	IMG_1334.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	131401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1335 (1).jpg
Views:	112
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	131409  

Last edited by sock-feet; 02-10-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-10-2018, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sock-feet View Post
I decided to post a separate thread for this machine. This is going to be down and dirty fixer and fliper.

Like previous people stated, the sprockets on the axel shaft is a total disaster to get off. I used a puller and two 1/4 inch bolts. The only way to get them off with the resources I have was to slit them with a cut off wheel and spread with a small chisel. I heated up the track wheels with MAP gas and pounded the axles out on the vise.

I don't want to give up my wheels from my spare drift breaker. so I think I am going to clean up the track drive up and reuse it. Thoughts? I haven't found any other used wheels and tires locally.

I did get it running with a 10 min quick carb clean. It seemed to run ok but I didn't put a load on it.

Here are some pics.
This is what it looked like in the field.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image2.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	345.3 KB
ID:	131417  
post #3 of 21 Old 02-10-2018, 01:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 30
Why were you taking all the tracks off in the first place? How are you going to fix the sprockets? How much damage did you do to the other track drive components when you disassembled it? I think changing it to wheels and tires will be much quicker and cheaper.

Unless the complete track system was in good shape, I would never buy one for a flip. Too many extra parts to have troubles with.

There's just one thing I'll guarantee , the best things in life, they sure AIN'T FREE !!

88 Craftsman II Trac-Plus 10/32 [wheeled conversion]
71 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 [Predator 6.5 repower]
72 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 with original Tecumseh H60
7? Ariens Tractor with rotary mower attachment [Tecumseh HSK100 repower]
post #4 of 21 Old 02-10-2018, 02:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Received): 329
If you plan to keep those tracks, one thing to check out is the lack of lubrication in crucial spots. I've seen and drilled a couple of the sprockets on one to add grease zerks. I'm told some have gone to plastic parts but they still stuck/rusted on. The time I looked for replacement tracks, I could not find any parts (and that was years ago) so unless they're in very good condition I'd wait till you can find some wheels.

PS that doesn't look any worse than the gray one I rebuilt the other year. They are very solid.

Last edited by HCBPH; 02-10-2018 at 02:41 PM.
post #5 of 21 Old 02-10-2018, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCBPH View Post
If you plan to keep those tracks, one thing to check out is the lack of lubrication in crucial spots. I've seen and drilled a couple of the sprockets on one to add grease zerks. I'm told some have gone to plastic parts but they still stuck/rusted on. The time I looked for replacement tracks, I could not find any parts (and that was years ago) so unless they're in very good condition I'd wait till you can find some wheels.

PS that doesn't look any worse than the gray one I rebuilt the other year. They are very solid.
I got all of the tracks apart, cleaned, Greased with marine grease and it all went together good. I don't plan on keeping this so the next person can put grease fittings in it. The shafts in the plastic wheels surprisingly came out fairly easy. The sprockets on the axle came off very hard even with a slit. I put the sprocket back on with the slit in it and tightened the bolt so it cant go anywhere. If I were keeping it, I would mig weld the sprocket where the slit is. It should last for years as is.

I had to put good used roller chain in the track assy and the drive chain to the axel .

I separated the auger housing and pulled the bearing-it is trashed. It also made a wear mark in the auger shaft. I am going to spot weld dots on the shaft like my other one and file down to 7/8" The bearing is wicked expensive. It is 7/8" bore 2" Od and 9/16 thick. I went on sears and they want over $70.00

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...Name=CRAFTSMAN

This is a keyed bearing with a flange.

My plan is to buy a 1640-2RS off ebay for under $7.00 without a keyed slot and press it into the steel flange I have from the old bearing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1640RS-1640...EAAOSwNSxU045L

I am going to cut the key down and just have the bearing ride on the shaft as a slip fit.

Everything else seems to be pretty good. A good wire wheeling, rust primer, and some Rustoleum and she will be ready for sale. I think that you need to disassemble the tracks every couple of years and completely lube everything IMO.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1336.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	131529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1337.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	131537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1338.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	131545   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1339.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	131553  
post #6 of 21 Old 02-10-2018, 07:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 75
Thanks (Received): 184
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 634
After tearing mine apart, I'm not a fan of the track system Murrays of that time.....I've got some parts that didn't get destroyed if some one needs them. I like the wheels on it now better....I'd keep it if I wasn't overflowing with blowers.
post #7 of 21 Old 02-10-2018, 07:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Received): 329
That bearing is something I've not seen before. I did a quick online check, found it listed from $40-$70 ea and because I don't know the real name of the bearing couldn't do a search for the bearing only.

On the shaft it could be spray welded or turned down and a sleeve JBWelded onto it to build it back up. I've seen the results of both and they seem to work.
post #8 of 21 Old 02-11-2018, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
After tearing mine apart, I'm not a fan of the track system Murrays of that time.....I've got some parts that didn't get destroyed if some one needs them. I like the wheels on it now better....I'd keep it if I wasn't overflowing with blowers.
Yes. Tracks aren't my first choice either. To answer everyone's question, yes the tractor part rolls forward and backward with ease when they are all greased and cleaned. Even though this is blower is a Murray, it is still built like a tank.
post #9 of 21 Old 02-13-2018, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
I decided to take the tractor part of the blower out for a cruise. After lubing all of the pivot points, bearings, and chains, I had to clean off the friction disk and rubber drive wheel. Surprising the 10 minute carb clean worked great. It took about 2 minutes of messing with the high speed jet. Idles and runs up well. It is a goof driving it with out the blower on the front of it.

I think I kinda like the track idea. I think that it is a part of yearly maintenance of oiling and greasing everything in this blower. If I were to keep it, I would use stainless roller chain in the track system. It rolls very easy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1346.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	132281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1347.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	132289  
post #10 of 21 Old 02-16-2018, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
I might take you up on those track parts. The idler wheel and the Plastic drive wheel on one side is slightly warped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page