Need Help Finding Info for Craftsman Snow Blower - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 09-01-2018, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 1
Question Need Help Finding Info for Craftsman Snow Blower

Hey there. Brand new to this forum. I was given a Craftsman II 5/23 Snow Blower today. The guy that gave it to me knows nothing about it. One of those things he traded for something else kind of deals. I can't seem to find any accurate information. I checked on sears parts direct or whatever their website is and I clicked on owners manual and it comes up for something different. The one I have has a Model#536-886520 and Code#9228. It has an 8hp Tecumseh, 120-volt electric start, 10" impeller, tire chains, 6 Forward Gears and 2 Reverse, and manual spout adjustment. I really want to know what year this was and even the model of the engine so I can look for parts if I need to. Also, is this a decent unit or going to be a money pit? It runs fine right now. Tried it out today. Going back over possibly Monday to pick it up. Thanks in advance. If more information is needed please let me know. Have a great evening. I have pictures of it, but it looks like I am not allowed to post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 09-01-2018, 11:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 151
i don't know if the craftsman 5/23 i got is the same as the one you got but i do got to say i like it but it has always seemed under powered with the 5hp engine. the engine works hard and can bog right down without stalling but it just doesn't have enough power to keep throwing snow far all the time. even with the engine running at 37-3800rpm it still bogs down. i don't know where i read it but i think i read 5hp engines tend to be under and that the 5.5's and and up seemed to be better but i guess you could always do an engine swap. other than the engine being under powered i love the snowblower itself. it might end up getting an engine swap eventually to solve the power issue.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Bash Rip Rock thanked for this post
Likes Bash Rip Rock liked this post
post #3 of 46 Old 09-02-2018, 10:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 236
Thanks (Received): 274
Likes (Given): 2765
Likes (Received): 500
Hello and welcome to SBF Bash. Below are the snowblower and engine repair manual links. Your Tecumseh model number is stamped into the shroud just in front of the spark plug and under the electric start push button (remove the two screws to read). You need those numbers to find/order parts.

Snowblower parts list-
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/536886520/0247/1507200.html

Tecumseh engine service manual-

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/manual/tecumsehlheadmanual.pdf

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 421-QZE (38585) 2008

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #4 of 46 Old 09-02-2018, 05:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 404
Garage
8hp? 5/23 means 5hp 23" wide, your model number at SearsPartsDirect corresponds to a 11hp 31" wide.

Should I say something is not right.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #5 of 46 Old 09-02-2018, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3830
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
to SBF Bash Rip Rock
You are allowed to post photos from the get go.

536-886520 is coming up as a 523 when I search. It might be someone replaced the 5hp with an 8. That would make finding the all pretty difficult as Sears doesn't keep any record. Normally the engine if original will give you a 2 year window of when the machine was built.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 46 Old 09-03-2018, 03:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1095
ALOHA From The Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 46 Old 09-04-2018, 05:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Received): 148
most techumseh motors u will find parts for, espicially the carb which should be cleaned.
most older sb parts are available even if u cant find the actual model number, just match up with pics or bring the part with u to match it up. the most expensive part would be the auger gear box, manually spin the impeller shaft and check for noise and excessive play.
check impeller bearing, auger shaft bearing, belt pulley bearings, rubber drive disc.
if motor starts and stays reved at full throttle then make sure forward and reverse works when applying pressure at the wheels.
donyboy has a good youtube video on buying used sb and tells u what to look for

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

post #8 of 46 Old 09-19-2018, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hey, everyone. I want to first Thank everyone for the information and input. I also want to apologize for the extreme delay. Life just got in the way. I have the snowblower now at the house. There is some hardware missing but nothing serious in that regard. I have all the stuff here to replace that. I have 2 issues. The engine starts fine on the electric start. When it does this thing runs to max RPM instantly. I have a throttle lever but it seems to do nothing. My guess there is a governor on this thing? If so why is it winding up so fast on startup? My push mower does the same thing but I know what it's doing. I'm a little confused. The other issue is the self-propelled feature. No, go!. I push the lever down and nothing happens. No change in engine RPMs or anything. I took off the shield/cover where the belts are located. They are in bad shape. So I will be replacing those. The auger turns just fine and engages when you push the lever. (you can see the belt "tension" change so the auger turns) Unfortunately, the self-propelled feature does not work. The belt is turning and it looks like it is "engaging" but nothing happens. Is this a belt issue or something much more serious? I am all ears so please let me know. I have a new muffler and gasket on order. I need a new carb cover bracket and some miscellaneous hardware. It looks like I can attach pictures now so I will post as many as I can. I am a brand new snowblower owner. I am ready to drink up all the knowledge you all are ready to share. I have a little time. It doesn't usually snow here in Ohio until November or December. Thanks again, everyone. I truly appreciate it. Be safe. Have a great evening wherever you are!
Sorry for some pics being rotated. They are ok on my computer but somewhere, somehow they were rotated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0664.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	401.2 KB
ID:	146757   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0665.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	448.8 KB
ID:	146759   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0670.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	146761   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0666.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	146763   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0667.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	146765  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0669.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	146767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0671.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	146769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0673.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	146771  
post #9 of 46 Old 09-19-2018, 09:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Received): 148
take the bottom pan out, engage the drive lever and see if rubber ringed disc comes in contact to a solid flat metal disc. take some pics

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

post #10 of 46 Old 09-20-2018, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, Vinny. I will do that. Not sure if I will get to it today(Thursday) Friday or this weekend. I will take plenty of pics. I appreciate the information. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page