post #1 of 14 Old 11-12-2018, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 0
Craftsman Snowblower... won't start

Hey everyone,

I've got a CRAFTSMAN/MD 24" Dual Stage 305cc B&S EZ-Steer Snow Blower Model# 944.525410 purchased new in end of December 2015. It's been great since I got it, starting on the first pull every time. The other day I went to get it ready for the winter season and it won't start. I stored it in the spring with gasoline and stabilizer in the tank, ran it for 10-15 minutes, shut off and stored. Now I can't get it to start. I've got fresh gas, oil, belts look good, new spark plug, cleaned the carburetor as best I could with carb cleaner and twist tie wire. There was a little bit of white deposits and I thought maybe that was my problem. Overall though the carb looked pretty clean to me. Bowl was clean and fills with gas no problem.

After I cleaned the carb I tried starting it and first pull the engine turned over and began to start but puttered out. Can't get it to even roll over now. Pull of the cord and just nothing. Try the electric start and nothing.

I'm not too engine savvy so I am pretty stumped. .. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Guerzy; 11-12-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-12-2018, 09:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 53
A blocked jet would be high on the list of suspects. Did you remove it and clean it out? Compressed air is best, avoid anything wire in there.

I would also drain all the fuel from the system if you haven't already and use ethanol free fuel. It's what I do and have been problem free for a long time. Stabilised fuel is OK to a degree but these small engines are still very sensitive to anything other than ethanol free fuel during storage periods.

'Parker' Honda 2017 HSS724AWD
'Puffer' 2011 Toro 1 Stage
'Jen' Honda EM6500 generator
'Tilly' Honda Mantis tiller
Remember the 7 Ps - Proper Planning Preparation Prevents P Poor Performance
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Guerzy, orangputeh liked this post
post #3 of 14 Old 11-12-2018, 10:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 9
Yup...run them dry after the last use in the spring.. then no worries about stabilizing fuel.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Guerzy thanked for this post
Likes Guerzy, Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #4 of 14 Old 11-12-2018, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkyLawnmowers View Post
A blocked jet would be high on the list of suspects. Did you remove it and clean it out? Compressed air is best, avoid anything wire in there.

I would also drain all the fuel from the system if you haven't already and use ethanol free fuel. It's what I do and have been problem free for a long time. Stabilised fuel is OK to a degree but these small engines are still very sensitive to anything other than ethanol free fuel during storage periods.

I didn't remove the entire carb as I'm not overly familiar with it. I could get what I thought was a good look at it though and cleaned the main jet i could see. Perhaps I missed an area though. I removed the bowl and cleaned pin, float/float valve, gasket, etc. Maybe I'll have to figure out how to remove the entire carb and go from there.

From now on I'll use ethanol free gas and drain my tank before storing. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Guerzy; 11-12-2018 at 10:23 AM.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-12-2018, 10:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 53
I'm not that familiar with Craftsman engines / carbs but if you can remove the float bowl from underneath the carb then the main jet usually lives up inside the tube in the middle bottom of the carb. Remove carefully with medium flat blade scewdriver. There are a lot of 'how to' videos about this on Youtube.

Regarding the fuel, I wasn't able to source ethanol free fuel very easily where I am so I bought some 'Trufuel' at Lowes. 110 oz tins of ethanol free fuel. It lasts 2 years when opened and 5 years unopened. It's much more expensive than regular fuel but the convenience factor and engine safety factor are very high.

I keep my blower in short term storage with Trufuel in the tank. That way he's ready to go whenever. During storms I can add some regular stabilised fuel but then make sure sure that stabilised fuel is run completely out of the system before long term storage. Either then store with tank empty or store with ethanol free fuel in the tank but with the carb run out of fuel. Do this by running the engine but with the fuel line switched 'off'.

'Parker' Honda 2017 HSS724AWD
'Puffer' 2011 Toro 1 Stage
'Jen' Honda EM6500 generator
'Tilly' Honda Mantis tiller
Remember the 7 Ps - Proper Planning Preparation Prevents P Poor Performance

Last edited by SkunkyLawnmowers; 11-12-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Guerzy liked this post
post #6 of 14 Old 11-12-2018, 11:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 625
Thanks (Received): 152
Likes (Given): 912
Likes (Received): 970
Garage
even if you spray a squirt of starting fluid? nothing?

did you pull the plug and see if you have a strong spark? is the plug wet from flooding? if that is the case, shut off key , pull cord 10 times , then turn key on and try again.

if your blower worked fine at the end of season it is probably something simple......clogged jet , flooding, weak or lack of spark

finding those crystals in bowl is probably the culprit. one got sucked into main jet. as the "skunk" said, don't use wires . I use carb cleaner spray followed by compressed air and that usually works. Most people don't have air compressors so I used to buy cans of compressed air that people use to clean their computer key pads.

check back when you figure it out. this is the most common problem this time of year and you may help someone else out with the solution.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #7 of 14 Old 11-12-2018, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3830
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenora View Post
Yup...run them dry after the last use in the spring.. then no worries about stabilizing fuel.
to SBF Kenora

+1 on running them dry.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #8 of 14 Old 11-12-2018, 11:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 37
Was fuel flowing freely rhrough the fuel line into the carb? I have seen fuel lines degrade or get stuff stuck in them. After that, if you have sperk, its the carb.

OVERPOWERED is usually Adequate
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ariens 1128 Pro, 826 dle, 2 Path pro's
post #9 of 14 Old 11-12-2018, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
even if you spray a squirt of starting fluid? nothing?

did you pull the plug and see if you have a strong spark? is the plug wet from flooding? if that is the case, shut off key , pull cord 10 times , then turn key on and try again.

if your blower worked fine at the end of season it is probably something simple......clogged jet , flooding, weak or lack of spark

finding those crystals in bowl is probably the culprit. one got sucked into main jet. as the "skunk" said, don't use wires . I use carb cleaner spray followed by compressed air and that usually works. Most people don't have air compressors so I used to buy cans of compressed air that people use to clean their computer key pads.

check back when you figure it out. this is the most common problem this time of year and you may help someone else out with the solution.

I used carb cleaner and sprayed it in and around the carb. Could see a bit of white crystals/deposits on the main jet so I sprayed them off with the carb cleaner and wiped it as best I could. Everything I can see now looks clean, but perhaps I need to take it fully apart if I haven't gotten the entire jet clean.. I now have a can of compressed air that I picked up so I can try using that too.

I didn't check the plug to see if it was wet. I would only try to start it so much at a time then let it sit in case of/to prevent flooding. I suppose it's possible I flooded it a bit at points. Right now as it sits I've got all of the gas drained out of it. Again I'm not overly knowledgeable with this stuff but trying my best to read up and teach myself.

I replaced the spark plug with a new one. I'm going to get a in-line ignition spark tester to test out the spark.

I will definitely check back in and keep this thread updated for anyone else perhaps experiences the same things I am.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks orangputeh thanked for this post
post #10 of 14 Old 11-12-2018, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
Was fuel flowing freely rhrough the fuel line into the carb? I have seen fuel lines degrade or get stuff stuck in them. After that, if you have sperk, its the carb.

Yes, the carb/bowl was full of fuel, gas seemed to be getting to where it needed.

I'll check the spark and if it's fine I will focus more on pulling the carb and getting it fully cleaned. It's possible I didn't clean it thorough enough, I did my best with not fully removing it given my lack of experience. It all looks clean from what I can see but I very well could have missed a spot in a jet or what not. I was hesitant to try and completely remove it as it's not something I have done before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page