LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 01-26-2019, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Craftsman 10/32 536.885000 Questions!

I just picked up this 10/32 tonight for 40 bucks locally. I couldn't pass it up. I'm new to this but have always wanted a tracked machine. Was told it hadn't run in several years and had no spark. Already have that taken care of and the carb is soaking overnight so I can get that rebuilt. Hoping to burn some fuel tomorrow evening.

Few questions though...

Model number is 536.885000
Engine is 143 78607 SE and that's all I can make out on it.

Anyone know how old this thing is? How about what engine it is?

The tracks roll very smoothly right now but do turn. I'm assuming there is some significant maintenance that needs to be done to them as well.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-26-2019, 01:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunner01 View Post
I just picked up this 10/32 tonight for 40 bucks locally. I couldn't pass it up. I'm new to this but have always wanted a tracked machine. Was told it hadn't run in several years and had no spark. Already have that taken care of and the carb is soaking overnight so I can get that rebuilt. Hoping to burn some fuel tomorrow evening.

Few questions though...

Model number is 536.885000
Engine is 143 78607 SE and that's all I can make out on it.

Anyone know how old this thing is? How about what engine it is?

The tracks roll very smoothly right now but do turn. I'm assuming there is some significant maintenance that needs to be done to them as well.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the forum!

Great find for $40. Yours has a 10 HP Tecumseh engine. Those are great machines, though the carbs can be extremely finicky. I am not sure about the tracks, but someone else here should be able to help with that. As far as age goes, I would venture to guess that it is from the mid to late 90s.

2015 Toro Power Clear 721 R-C

Find me on MyTractorForum and MyLawnMowerForum!
Same username.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-26-2019, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here's a photo. Seems to be pretty clean. Not much for first on the housing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190125_204902_1548482017779.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	152371  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Bondo 287 liked this post
post #4 of 20 Old 01-26-2019, 07:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 207
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 602
Likes (Received): 110
Look like a beast, clean it up and add an impeller kit - you won't be sorry. I added an impeller kit to my 10 HP Craftsman and it was well worth the time. Look down your chute and check the gap between the auger blade and auger housing - anything more than 1/8 of an inch is too much, my Craftsman gap was 5/8 of an inch. Welcome and good luck.., lubricate that metal chute housing too.

Jack of all trades, Master of none!
Ariens - 924086 - ST1028
Craftsman - 88934 - 10HP 28"
Toro - CCR 3650
Toro - CCR 2000
post #5 of 20 Old 01-26-2019, 10:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 634
Cool! For $40, and with tracks, how can you go wrong?? I'd like to try tracks at some point. Enjoy, and let us know how it goes!

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #6 of 20 Old 01-26-2019, 11:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 10
Wow that's a great find for 40$. I think the craftsman 2 are from early 90's. I saw one for sale around here for 400$ Canadian and it looked in worst shape then yours.

I'd invest in new belts, new spark plug, and new carb. I got a new carb/spark plug on amazon for 14$ and it included a fuel shutoff valve.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-27-2019, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Well, tried to clean the carb but the gaskets fell apart. Have a new one showing up tomorrow. Chinese knockoff I'm sure but didn't want to spend the 90 bucks one an OEM one. Got the spark issue resolved by cleaning off the rust on the coil pack and flywheel. Pulled the tracks since I've read some stuff now on here about them. Fortunately they slid right off the shafts. The shafts on mine weren't to bad at all. Took the wire wheel to all of that to clean them up anyhow. Chains were rusted which was the main problem. Cleaned them up and they are soaking in oil overnight. Will reassemble them tomorrow while I wait for the carb. New oils and plug too. 8-12" of snow coming tomorrow overnight so if all goes well I might be able to try this beast out tomorrow. Way more than I need for my little driveway but couldn't pass it up for 40 bucks! It was worth more than that the way it sat when I bought it. Thinking I'll sell my POS Yard Machine if I get this working right and it will cover every everything I spend on this big boy. If all goes well might have to go full restoration this summer on it. I'm glutten for punishment when it comes to having projects to do. Lol. Thanks for all the advice. Keep it coming!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Bondo 287 liked this post
post #8 of 20 Old 01-27-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Well, she runs!! The cheap carb I bought leaks a bit out of the float bowl so I'll have to get that fixed. The problem is it runs for a few minutes and then dies. Not sure if that is because the carb is leaking or something else. I'm not very smart when it comes to carbs so I'll take any advice anyone is willing to give! The primer bulb doesn't seem to build any pressure....not sure if that could be my problem, and I assume that is because of the float bowl leak. Will have to work on it another night...too loud with the kids in bed. To bad too, decent snow coming tonight here and wanted to try it out.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-27-2019, 10:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 634
Congrats on getting it running!

The line from the primer to the carb may have fallen apart, that's happened to me. I doubt that would cause issues once you get it started, though.

A simple cause for dying after several minutes can be a gas cap with a clogged vent. It can't let more air into the tank as you use fuel, so it draws a vacuum, and stops the fuel flow. You can loosen the the cap and try running that way. Or cover the tank's opening with a plastic bag, secured to the opening, and poke some holes in it for a vent, just as a test.

If it runs for a few minutes, I'd imagine your carb is OK. It could have a clogged fuel filter (if equipped), or fuel lines that are collapsing, or otherwise causing trouble. But I'd start with the easy stuff, like the gas cap, and go from there.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #10 of 20 Old 01-31-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Fix one thing, then find another issue to figure out. Can't complain because I've got about 70 bucks into this thing is all.

This issue has me a little stumped though. The blower housing seems to be out of square to the ground and I'm not sure how to fix it. Thought it was maybe just the scraper blade but it definitely isn't that or the shoes. It's between 1/2 and 3/4" different from left to right side. I can't image there is any way to adjust this per say is there? It'd mean rotating the entire chute one the tractor... Is that possible?

Definitely needs an impeller kit tossed on too. That will be coming once I find some good rubber to cut up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page