post #1 of 6 Old 02-03-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Craftsman auger belt question

Hello again,

Regarding the auger belt on my Craftsman II 825 machine model 768884900 (guessed to be about a 1996 model).

I am replacing the auger belt. Old belt broke, putting on a new one that I matched up from Napa.
Feels like there is a lot of slack on the belt when installed. The old belt measured 30Ē, this one is 30Ē with the V as close to the original as possible. How tight is the belt supposed to be when machine is cracked open? Does something tighten the belt up more after the machine is rejoined? I never got to feel how tight the original belt was, it was broken when I first laid eyes on it, hence the reason for me cracking it open.
While I am in there, Iím going to clean and lube. Other than the pully surfaces, where should I NOT lube?

Thank you in advance. Yes, this is what I am doing instead of watching stupid Super Bowl halftime show...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-03-2019, 10:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 29
The belt should tighten when you pull the auger engage lever down. Make sure the cable from the auger drive lever to the idler bracket didn't slip off the rollers.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-04-2019, 09:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 403
Garage
I look for belt slap when the engine is running and the auger is not engaged and when the auger is engaged. There should be no belt slap when engaged, a little is ok but shows stretch but still is fine.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #4 of 6 Old 02-04-2019, 10:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 319
One more thing not mentioned: belt width. There are more than one width of belts. The v-belt is designed to pull against the shoulders of the belt against the pulley, not the bottom. Get the wrong width belt and it will drop too far into the pulley. That and if it has an adjustable pulley (not likely but possible if replaced in the blowers history) and the width of the pulley shoulders aren't set correctly.

Just a thought.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-04-2019, 10:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyinggrayling View Post
Hello again,

Regarding the auger belt on my Craftsman II 825 machine model 768884900 (guessed to be about a 1996 model).

I am replacing the auger belt. Old belt broke, putting on a new one that I matched up from Napa.
Feels like there is a lot of slack on the belt when installed. The old belt measured 30”, this one is 30” with the V as close to the original as possible. How tight is the belt supposed to be when machine is cracked open? Does something tighten the belt up more after the machine is rejoined? I never got to feel how tight the original belt was, it was broken when I first laid eyes on it, hence the reason for me cracking it open.
While I am in there, I’m going to clean and lube. Other than the pully surfaces, where should I NOT lube?

Thank you in advance. Yes, this is what I am doing instead of watching stupid Super Bowl halftime show...
Don't go too crazy with lubrication in the transmission area, you don't want oil or grease flying off shafts, chains or gears and onto either the aluminum drive disk or the rubber friction wheel that contacts the drive disk. Check out Donyboy73 videos on youtube. He gives excellent video instructions on many OPE repairs and shows how and where to lubricate snowblowers in general.

Also, your NAPA belt might not be suitable for a snowblower. If you just grabbed a automotive fan belt that was the right length and width, it won't last very long. You need to used belts rated for power transmission. Make sure your belt is routed correctly around the auger brake device and the idler wheel, which applies tension to the belt to take up the slack when you depress the auger lever.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #6 of 6 Old 02-05-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Thank you for your responses.
I did go ahead and order a correct replacement belt, will be delivered next week. Iíll use this NAPA belt until the new one comes in, then use NAPA as a temporary replace the if needed in the future. Better yet, Iíll order an additional correct belt and have IT on hand.
After playing with the assembly more, it did tighten up ok when I actuated the auger. I put the machine back together, tied down auger lever and watched it. Belt tracked well and auger turned a lot faster than before (belt was really bad before, multiple cracks and chunks missing).
Iíll put the machine under a load this evening and see if belt slips any. Iíll keep in mind this belt may not last very long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page