Should I buy a new snowblower ? - Page 2 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 03-16-2019, 10:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
I have to say with reservation - No. I have an older Craftsman blower (the Searsasaurus) I build using 70's Craftsman parts when they were built by Murray. It's a strong, solid machine that will tear up most anything thrown at it.

On the other hand I have a neighbor with a fairly new Craftsman that hasn't started in over 2 months. Blower has worked when it started but that's not happened in some time. It's got one of the OHV engines on it and doesn't even give a pop though it has spark. I gave it a quick once over the other week for him and fairly sure it's a carb issue. If it had a TEC engine on it, I'm sure I have an extra carb that would work but this has a clone engine on it and I have nothing on them as far as manuals and parts. He'll be taking it to the local repair spot in about a month or so, that's how far they're backed up.
I have to say the materials the newer blowers are built from is not up to the thickness and quality of mine so it's a personal choice for me.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 03-16-2019, 10:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 155
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 544
I've refurbed quite a few Craftsman blowers...and all I've done were just typical MTD's. I'd surely stay away from any with the plastic gear type transmission by General Transmission...a disaster in blowers and tractors. My GF has a Craftsman she bought new in 2011 that has given her good service, and it is like new still. I personally would only take one for my own use if it was very inexpensive. That said if it is very cheap and doesn't have the dreaded plastic tranny, you should get good use from it...parts and service are the same as MTD
post #13 of 22 Old 03-20-2019, 10:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Don't buy Craftsman or any MTD machine. Spend a few more bucks and get an Ariens, Simplicity, Toro or Honda. You will spend a little more and get twice the machine with 1/10th the aggravation.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #14 of 22 Old 03-21-2019, 04:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 3
Garage
NO...In the names of the 9 circles of H*ll ..NO.

As the others have said, Sears is but a shell of it's former self. You don't want to be "married" to this hag of a blower.

Get an Ariens, Toro, or even a Honda and you'll be a much happier man with any one of these fine ladies.

HEY LASERLIPS, YOUR MAMA WAS A SNOWBLOWER!!!

2017 Sno-Tek
1995 Chevy K1500
1990 John Deere Hydro 175
post #15 of 22 Old 03-22-2019, 03:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 638
Thanks (Received): 160
Likes (Given): 940
Likes (Received): 1023
Garage
well, what are you going to do kid???

buy a Craftsman?

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #16 of 22 Old 03-22-2019, 07:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
If your old machine works well, and parts are still available, keep that. If you want a new one, maybe don't go with Craftsman. They used to be great, but the disappearance of Sears Canada and Sears USA on the ropes, and who knows who is looking after the Craftsman brand now, why buy a potential headache. Those Toros an Ariens and Husqvarnas (although Husky is short on keeping parts available long term) all make good machines if you want new.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #17 of 22 Old 04-05-2019, 03:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
Incorrect..most modern Craftsman snowblowers and Troy-Bilt snowblowers are both made by MTD.
Corporate semantics... At least the recent Craftsman offerings are not plugging the plastic tyres.

Wounded 30-inch Mastercraft (MTD) circa 96
17 ST330P Husky
post #18 of 22 Old 04-09-2019, 09:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplicitySolid22 View Post
Hey MTD has a new one called Wolf Garten.

Wow! Wolf Garten used to make excellent garden tools here in Europe (a bit like Fiskars). I fear they've now been gobbled up and are next in line for a cost-reduction excercise, riding on their brand equity to exploit unsuspecting customers. I really hope not
post #19 of 22 Old 04-17-2019, 04:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 0
I bought a 24 inch craftsman recently..a little over 400 bucks.
I really wanted the Toro 824 OE...the price was more than double.
I wont be using the snowblower much..it doesnt snow that much here...for instance it would have got used twice last year.
However every few years we get a good snow or two....anyway say an average of an hour a year on one....if it lasts 20 bours... it will cost me 20 bucks an hour to own...each hour equals several hours saved of shovel time...so it would still be a bargain if it failed after such time.
If I lived where the machine would see alot more use I wouldnt have considered the craftsman.
post #20 of 22 Old 04-17-2019, 04:28 PM
feh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 35
Likes (Received): 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovel View Post
I bought a 24 inch craftsman recently..a little over 400 bucks.
I really wanted the Toro 824 OE...the price was more than double.
I wont be using the snowblower much..it doesnt snow that much here...for instance it would have got used twice last year.
However every few years we get a good snow or two....anyway say an average of an hour a year on one....if it lasts 20 bours... it will cost me 20 bucks an hour to own...each hour equals several hours saved of shovel time...so it would still be a bargain if it failed after such time.
If I lived where the machine would see alot more use I wouldnt have considered the craftsman.

Iím thinking for every hour my machine runs, it would equal at least 2.5 hours of manual shoveling. Not to mention saving the wear and tear in your heart, body and muscles, which is priceless I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page