Model 247.887801 - Page 2 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 09-12-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Spraying the engine is a job for today if this monsoon were getting ends. Flow is great.

So far: I completely disassembled the carb and cleaned with top engine cleaner (the good stuff), then with carb cleaner and put it back together. The results were exactly the same. Then I bought a new carb and put it on to exactly the same results. Cleaning and 2 carbs doing exact same thing seems to eliminate the carb and send me back to checking for sucking air somewhere. I hate the idea of spraying ether/starting fluid around hot engines but I'll try it. It's a monsoon here today so I really haven't gone past loosening the gas cap, which didn't help. I suspect someone has been into this before me as the gas line was the good automotive kind instead of the cheap plastic ones that I'm sure must come with them. That line between the intake and the carb doesn't need to be clamp tight does it? I'm on my way to get a shutoff as I'm tired of draining the tank each time. I'll get extra gas line long enough to be able to hold up the cover with the tank to see if the low spot in the line are causing any problems, slight chance but I'll check. Primer line need clamps? Some of the gaskets on the original carb, stiffer and thicker with almost a slight bit of rubber around the openings which I don't think was sealer, seemed better quality than the new ones so I was a little confused if both were needed but ether should show a leak of any kind. after that I'm going to go throw it through the window of the guy that sold it to me. He told me it was 2, maybe 3 years old and he knew the guy that he got it from(He buys out estates and then resells) and partstree.com shows it as a 2011.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 09-12-2019, 10:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 236
Thanks (Received): 276
Likes (Given): 2803
Likes (Received): 506
I would use carb spray or WD-40 to test for intake leaks.
The primer line does not need a clamp.
I doubt the low spot in the fuel line is causing your issue.
A fuel shut off is a GOOD idea on any gas engine machines.
If there is gasket sealer on the gaskets, make sure none of it is blocking any small holes which are air bleed or pulse holes needed for correct fuel metering.

The age discrepancy wouldn't bother me as long as the machine was maintained and probably had minimal use.

Good luck.
Attached Images

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 421-QZE (38585) 2008 (Gone)
Toro 721-QZR (38741) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Last edited by Grunt; 09-12-2019 at 11:06 AM.
post #13 of 20 Old 09-12-2019, 11:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Received): 49
Have you checked inside the tank for any obstructions of any kind?

Have you pulled the line itself to make sure it is free flowing? btw, good idea as mentioned, to put in an in-line shut off on any gas engine when you drain the tank.

I like the ether test as well.

BTW, for future info., I always put Stable and Seafoam into all my 5 gallon cans when I fill them .... I do however cut the Seafoam to 1/2 the recommended, 1/2 oz. per gallon, instead of the recommended 1 oz. per gallon, as I also add the Stable.
post #14 of 20 Old 09-12-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Grunt, I agree on the age and maintenance but he told me he used it once last spring and didn't need the choke on. I seriously can't believe that by the amount of gunk in the bowl. Gaskets came with the carb and are new with nothing on them. The breather hose from the intake to the carb is somewhat loose, that doesn't need to be clamped, right? I also think he knows it's been worked on before. I understand buyer beware but lying puts a little more suspicion to it. I have to admit it runs great at 3/4 choke.

Last edited by Hawg; 09-12-2019 at 11:14 AM.
post #15 of 20 Old 09-13-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I was told by a friend he puts a little motor oil on gaskets to help seal them. Is that right? Seems to the oil, being heat resistant would just stay slippery and not seal. Your thoughts?
post #16 of 20 Old 09-13-2019, 08:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Received): 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
I was told by a friend he puts a little motor oil on gaskets to help seal them. Is that right? Seems to the oil, being heat resistant would just stay slippery and not seal. Your thoughts?
Do't put oil on the gaskets. They are made to use dry. It gets soggy with oil, it may tear or blow out. Where on earth did he hear this?

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
post #17 of 20 Old 09-13-2019, 09:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 22
Likes (Received): 206
What about the tar type tube, Form-a-gasket ? I have had good luck with that spread on a gasket.
post #18 of 20 Old 09-13-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I bought a sheet of fiber gasket material. Now I need to find my exacto knife. I want this to be over. The original gaskets were much thicker than the cheap paper ones that came with the carb. Form a Gasket is what started this post. Most agree to leave them dry.
post #19 of 20 Old 09-16-2019, 08:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIT333 View Post
What about the tar type tube, Form-a-gasket ? I have had good luck with that spread on a gasket.
All you will do is make a mess to clean up next time the carb needs to come off. No need to use anything, install dry.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
post #20 of 20 Old 09-16-2019, 08:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
I bought a sheet of fiber gasket material. Now I need to find my exacto knife. I want this to be over. The original gaskets were much thicker than the cheap paper ones that came with the carb. Form a Gasket is what started this post. Most agree to leave them dry.
I hand cut gaskets all the time. Get a gasket punch set at Harbor Freight And an exacto, as you stated.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page