Craftsman Tractor Snow Thrower Attachment Problems - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 02-05-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Craftsman Tractor Snow Thrower Attachment Problems

Good morning. First time poster here.. Luckily havent really needed help until now.

SO i have a 2 year old craftman Y450 (i think) model lawn tractor with the 42 inch 2 stage snow thrower attachment.

If it having major issues. ALl could be related, could be more than 1 thing.

1. Burning smell from main thrower belt under heavy load.
2. Throw distance is terrible.
3. Bogs down terribly. Chute does clog some, then works itself free after a bit.
4. Cant do any more than a few inches without super super slow speeds.

Now ill preface this by saying i am NOT a mechanically inclined guy for engines or this type of stuff. Im technical by nature

The tension pulley on the right side is pulled as far as it will go. Although it does not seem to apply a whole lot of tension when i engage the PTO. seems much too easy to engage.

Given all of this, what might be some suggestions as to fixes? I can do the work, or hire it done, but With so much going on here, I just cant adequately diagnose it.

WOuld appreciate some help from the brilliant folks on this forum.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-05-2014, 01:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
You may have a bearing in one of your pull sheaves that has seized. The pulley would not turn but the belt would, and it would be skidding on the frozen pulley. It would affect the performance of the blower, and the friction would result in the burning smell you are experiencing. You could check this by removing the belt, and making sure that you can spin all your pulleys freely. MH
post #3 of 21 Old 02-05-2014, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
You are talking to a un-intelligent person with regards to pull sheaves haha.
I assume its somewhere between the bolt that holds the pulley on, and the pulley itself, or inside of it? but if i can turn the pulleys and they move freely, that would not be it?

If i had to guess, im saying somehow im not getting enough tension on my PTO when its engaged. its just as easy as moving the bar over, not much tension. that would also allow the belt to slip too right?

But it seems as if the tensioner is pulled out as far as it will go for the pin i place in it.
thanks ill check that
post #4 of 21 Old 02-05-2014, 02:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
If your tension is not suitable when you engage your pto handle, that also will affect your performance and cause the belt to slip and burn. Maybe your belt has stretched with use and needs to be replaced. MH
post #5 of 21 Old 02-05-2014, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead64 View Post
If your tension is not suitable when you engage your pto handle, that also will affect your performance and cause the belt to slip and burn. Maybe your belt has stretched with use and needs to be replaced. MH
Ive only used it 2 winters. I certainly know its possible that it stretched, just not sure how i can tell.
Guess i could always go buy another one and check.
post #6 of 21 Old 02-05-2014, 02:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
A sheave is a pulley for all practical purposes. He is saying a pulley might be locked up and the belt is dragging over the frozen pulley.
post #7 of 21 Old 02-05-2014, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
i will check that out , absolutely. I just found one of the potential problems. the belt on one side was outside of the keeper arm. but it went back in REALLY easy, so i do think perhaps the belt has been stretched (heat from the slippage?).
ive heard of people putting rubber bars in the blower piece to keep from snow building up in there. I dont think thats my issue, seems there is only like a 1/4 inch gap in there.
thoughts?
post #8 of 21 Old 02-05-2014, 02:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I think you are referring to an "impeller kit" which closes the gaps between the impeller fan blades and the blower housing. Your bad performance seems more related to your belt issues. MH
post #9 of 21 Old 02-05-2014, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
without knowing too much, as ive stated i think you are right there motorhead. I think ill run out and get a new belt.

should there be more tension when i engage the pto? or as long as it engages, who cares?

EDIT - can i only get the belts for this thing from sears? or would another place sell a like belt?
post #10 of 21 Old 02-05-2014, 03:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
The PTO when engaged should take up all the slack in the belt. The belt may be available elsewhere. If you have your owner's manual for the snoblower attachment, it should give you a part number for the belt. Or, the part number may be etched right on the belt itself. If you google that part number ie. "Sears snowblower belt 143-221-000" or the like, if there are aftermarket replacements they will pop up. Some will only use original equipment stuff to avoid bad fits. I have gambled and won...and also gambled and lost. MH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page