LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 01-12-2020, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Question Battery Light Options

Hey everyone, new guy here but not to forums in general.

I have a 30 inch craftsman professional series 247.88830

The halogen bulb is pitiful. Keeps burning out, the bulb isnít loose and I notice the plastic lense started to melt a little on the top. Plus the chute blocks most the light.

I have done some searching around and I am not totally sure what I want to do. I read the threads about converting ac to dc to use led lights. The end result looks awesome. But I am not totally sure I wanna mess with wiring. The converter looks easy, but I donít feel like messing with capacitors. Has anyone done a magnetic battery led flood light? Thinking of mounting it up front on the auger shield.

I have been eyeing this light. It doesnít list the lumens though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-12-2020, 09:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 74
Likes (Received): 58
I don't blame you at all for not wanting to mess with adding a capacitor. And I don't know why others think it is needed. My guess.....without actually viewing the voltage with an oscilloscope both with and without a capacitor is that a cap will make little difference in the viewed waveforms WHILE a load is connected.

There is one possible shortcoming using rectified power to energize leds. That is the peak rectified voltage may cause shorter LED life.
post #3 of 27 Old 01-13-2020, 06:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 13
This works great on my blower. Nice, bright, and portable. See if you can still find one.
post #4 of 27 Old 01-13-2020, 06:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 77
Likes (Given): 74
Likes (Received): 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowerMods1 View Post
This works great on my blower. Nice, bright, and portable. See if you can still find one.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Myzjr4Ndig
Is it magnetic?????

500 or 1000 lumens??? They offer both.

IP65 or higher rated????: IP65 Enclosure - IP rated as "dust tight" and protected against water projected from a nozzle. IP66 Enclosure - IP rated as "dust tight" and protected against heavy seas or powerful jets of water. IP 67 Enclosures - IP rated as "dust tight" and protected against immersion.

Cool light!!!

Last edited by SimplicitySolid22; 01-13-2020 at 06:53 PM.
post #5 of 27 Old 01-13-2020, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 559
Thanks (Received): 733
Likes (Given): 4166
Likes (Received): 1602
Garage
to SBF raminator157

If you search on Amazon, Ebay, ... you'll find a lot of the newer stuff runs on ac. Might be listed as CAN bus compliant. They have their own converter built in. Just bypass your halogen bulb and you're good to go. I'd recommend going with a flood light but you can do a spot if you prefer.

Or instead of building a converter you can just get one for $13 off Amazon and you don't need to worry about the LED working on AC .

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12v AC to 12v DC converter.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	162481  

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, toromike liked this post
post #6 of 27 Old 01-13-2020, 08:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Given): 120
Likes (Received): 44
Garage
Welcome to the SBF from Gettysburg.

Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier!!
2019 Ariens Compact 24...
2013 Craftsman 22" 179cc better than shoveling
XM -1000, galvanized steel Shovel with gator grip tape....
Big Bad Kubota as a backup by neighbor.....
post #7 of 27 Old 01-14-2020, 12:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 71
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 223
the capacitors are not as bad to deal with as you think. they hook up positive and negative just like led lights. they are just used to smooth out the power going to the lights so you don't get a flicker. you can think of them like batteries. they charge up when getting power and discharge when they stop getting power for that fraction of a second as the flywheel spins around. i sometimes use them to to keep my stereo on for a few seconds after shutting the key off on my vehicle.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #8 of 27 Old 01-14-2020, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Thanks for the reply, I did not think to look for a LED light that auto converts it. I have started looking but haven't found much. A plug and play option would be awesome. Is their any other terms I should look for? I see some that say 12 & 24 volts DC. Nothing about AC. Do you know the highest wattage led light Ill be able to use?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
to SBF raminator157

If you search on Amazon, Ebay, ... you'll find a lot of the newer stuff runs on ac. Might be listed as CAN bus compliant. They have their own converter built in. Just bypass your halogen bulb and you're good to go. I'd recommend going with a flood light but you can do a spot if you prefer.

Or instead of building a converter you can just get one for $13 off Amazon and you don't need to worry about the LED working on AC . https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN%C2%AE-C...motive&sr=1-25

post #9 of 27 Old 01-14-2020, 01:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 138
Thanks (Received): 305
Likes (Given): 403
Likes (Received): 725
As a starting point, you could look up the current halogen bulb, and see how many watts it draws. That should give you at least a point of reference for what you should be able to draw.

Or, if you could connect a multimeter between the alternator and the light (if it has a connector somewhere), you could measure the voltage, and current draw, to figure out your present power draw, if specs on the bulb weren't available.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog, toromike liked this post
post #10 of 27 Old 01-14-2020, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 559
Thanks (Received): 733
Likes (Given): 4166
Likes (Received): 1602
Garage
When in doubt I default to 18 watt. Being that you have a 1141 bulb and they are rated at 18 watts that might be all you have available. Now a 1141 and a 1156 are the same except for amp draw/light output. A stock 1156 incandescent will put out more light but only if there is enough power to drive it. Since yours has the 1141 I'd stay away from the 1156 incandescent.
To me it doesn't look like a halogen. 18 watt is to my knowledge the smallest stator they use. If you post the numbers off the engine we might be able to look up to see what that engine actually has as it could be anywhere from 18 to 60 depending on how it was spec'd to be built for craftsman.

You other option rather than a whole new housing is replacing the bulb with an LED. Looking only at SuperBrightLEDs they have an 1156 that runs on 10~18 VAC, 10~30 VDC. You can run a 1156 LED because it has a lower current draw and would easily stay under the 18 watts the incandescent 1141 would draw.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ith-lens/4477/
The LED is a little longer than your present bulb so you'd want to make sure you have the room.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1156-cw51-ptac-profile.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	162499  

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 01-14-2020 at 02:36 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes toromike liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page