LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 02-14-2020, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 26
Likes (Received): 3
Worth looking for?

My neighbor loaned me this great little snowblower and it really opened my eyes as to how effortless it was to get rid of snow, I'm hooked and I liked the machine so much I want one just like it, it's a Craftsman model 71-52110-1 with a 10 HP Tecumseh. serial # 101651. he only paid $ 300 for this thing and it's in excellent shape, no rust, everything intact and working properly. electric start it starts great and plows right through compacted stuff left by the snowplow. I found this picture online it looks like the same machine. I'm wondering about parts availability, is it worth trying to find one of these?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CraftsmanSnowblower1a.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	163963  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 02-14-2020, 08:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 169
Thanks (Received): 305
Likes (Given): 426
Likes (Received): 1016
Welcome to SBF. Where's your location? How big an area do you need to clean? Just my humble opinion but you can do better for less, depending on your location.

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ~smokey~ thanked for this post
Likes ~smokey~ liked this post
post #3 of 54 Old 02-14-2020, 09:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
That's not a great quality machine (for the time--around 25+ years old) that stands out slightly because it has a large engine for its size. I'd really be looking at a better brand for that money. Around here $300 would buy a newer Ariens if you shopped around.
post #4 of 54 Old 02-14-2020, 11:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~smokey~ View Post
My neighbor loaned me this great little snowblower and it really opened my eyes as to how effortless it was to get rid of snow, I'm hooked and I liked the machine so much I want one just like it, it's a Craftsman model 71-52110-1 with a 10 HP Tecumseh. serial # 101651. he only paid $ 300 for this thing and it's in excellent shape, no rust, everything intact and working properly. electric start it starts great and plows right through compacted stuff left by the snowplow. I found this picture online it looks like the same machine. I'm wondering about parts availability, is it worth trying to find one of these?
I don't see nothing wrong in buying a used machine like that one. I bought mine used (similar to the one pictures, decided to restore it but that was my choice to do so) and even if it's not a new 2020 model it gets the job done. I didn't feel like spending 2K or more for a new one and restoring my used one still ended up costing me less than buying a new one. There are some purists who only swear by Ariens, Honda, etc… but new or used, as long as it moves snow is what counts!
As for parts, I wouldn't worry too much as Craftsman sold thousands of them so finding used parts shouldn't be a problem and also some replacement parts are still available new.

Good luck,

Claude.

2004 MURRAY BRUTE 10HP 29"
post #5 of 54 Old 02-14-2020, 11:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 90
Likes (Received): 71
Just my opinion pertaining to buying quality when buying anything. Yes, a humble snowblower designed for cost will clear snow!!! No if’s or but’s.......they work. So you may ask, why then follow recommendations that advise paying more than that ‘’designed for cost’’ requires???

The simple answer in my humble opinion is reliability!!!! Even a brand name such as Ariens can cut product cost and for that reason when purchase time arrived for me, I went with their Pro 28 model. Why? Because I was fed up having to make repairs to my old ‘’designed for cost’’ snowblower in my freezing garage before I could clear my yard after a storm. Sure, if you intend to change out your machine every few years or so, the reliability of a better machine is of no consequence. What can fail? Every moving part! It reminds me of the old Fram filter advertisement: Pay me now, or pay me later.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ~smokey~, Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #6 of 54 Old 02-14-2020, 11:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 61
I think that reliability is closely linked to good maintenance. I've had a 1975 8hp. Lawn-Boy snowblower for 44 years ( ! ) and eventually gave it to my daughter when I bought my 2004 Brute and it still runs fine today. I always cared for it and when I saw something that needed attention, I immediately fixed it.. I think that's the key to make any brand last longer. As for my Brute, I completely restored it last fall and now it's as good as new so if it lasts another 44 years, I won't complain!…

Claude.

2004 MURRAY BRUTE 10HP 29"
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ~smokey~, barney, FEF3 liked this post
post #7 of 54 Old 02-14-2020, 11:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 169
Thanks (Received): 305
Likes (Given): 426
Likes (Received): 1016
Before pulling the trigger on any blower do a little homework. You never used one before and you don't have to run out now and grab the first one you see. Watch the video before buying anything. Donyboy73 knows what he's talking about.

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ~smokey~, Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
Likes detdrbuzzard, ~smokey~ liked this post
post #8 of 54 Old 02-14-2020, 12:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 747
Thanks (Received): 223
Likes (Given): 1506
Likes (Received): 1503
Garage
Parts no problem.

Craftsman? not sure about reliability. all I know that people around here can NOT give them away. see them free all the time or very very cheap. I won't take them in for repairs because the cost is more than it's worth.

If you can get one free and/or cheap go ahead. but try to learn to maintain and repair yourself and people here will more than happy to help.

I think you may be able to do better with $300-500 for a good used Ariens/Honda/Toro. It also depends on amount of snowfall you receive. A good single stage Toro or Honda will do an excellent job in smaller snowfalls and they can be had cheap in the summer. Whatever you decide , wait until spring/summer to pick up the best deals.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #9 of 54 Old 02-14-2020, 01:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 238
Likes (Received): 198
I'd think pretty much any 26" snowblower with a 12" impeller and a 10 hp engine would be a good performer, would I specifically seek out that model? Probably not. Definitely not at $300.

I've rehabbed and flipped several newer Murray-made Craftsman snowblowers over the years, but only if they were dirt cheap to begin with ($0-$40) needing only a carb and skid shoes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 54 Old 02-14-2020, 05:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 135
Likes (Received): 52
Garage
Throwing out the welcome mat for your first post..
Greetings from Gettysburg!

Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier!!
2019 Ariens Compact 24...
2013 Craftsman 22" 179cc better than shoveling
XM -1000, galvanized steel Shovel with gator grip tape....
Big Bad Kubota as a backup by neighbor.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page