post #1 of 53 Old 03-01-2014, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Sears 3.5/20 SS Worn Sprocket

Howdy folks, Chris here.

I have an old Sears (536.918002) that I found on the curb a few years back. I later learned that it was clearing driveways in my neighborhood since 1972.

I also cut my "small engine" teeth (Tecumseh H35-45544M) on it so I suppose it has some sentimental value.

I had some loose chain issues last season, so I dropped a link (maybe 2...can't remember exactly) and my master link popped this season but not before wearing the snot out of the auger sprocket) .

I'm not ready to give-up on her just yet.

Is there a source for replacement augers &/or sprockets? I can always grind the old sprocket off and weld-on a replacement.

Thanks for stoppin' by!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 03-01-2014, 05:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
Sprocket

Not familiar with that one, but I like your idea on cutting off the old and welding on the new. I'd look at farm supply places like Fleet Farm for replacements. Good luck.
post #3 of 53 Old 03-01-2014, 05:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
536. means it was made by Noma/Murray. They are now owned by Briggs and Straton. Sears might still have parts too. Have you checked searspartsdirect.com?

You can probably get generic sprockets much cheaper from a go kart / mini bike place or a local industrial supply place. Have a look around here.
Sprockets for Go Karts & Mini Bikes | Go Kart & Mini Bike Parts | MFG Supply

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #4 of 53 Old 03-01-2014, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks a bunch for the prompt replies guys!

The Auger is NLA on SearsPartsDirect. If I can't find an auger/sprocket combo (B&S or a CL Donor), I have a bead on a toro 828 that will hold me over while I patch-up Lil' Red and give her full/proper restoration
post #5 of 53 Old 03-19-2014, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Good news fellas!

Lil' Red lives to fight another day!

Just scored an auger/sprocket for $25.

post #6 of 53 Old 03-20-2014, 12:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
Congrats

Congratulations, always good to have some spare parts and bring a blower back to life!
post #7 of 53 Old 12-23-2014, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
1 step forward...

With my Toro project onhold at the moment, I jumped at the chance to get the replacement Auger installed on Lil' Red! (hmmm...something is missing from this picture...what could it be)

The auger was nearly seized to the shaft...luckily I was able to walk it out with minimal persuasion, remove the rust and lubricate the bushings/shaft with Marine triple-guard grease (Evinrude)...spins effortlessly now...especially with the larger sprocket!

The tricky part of this job was repositioning the tension sprocket since the old mounting holes caused it to collide with the larger sprocket.

I cut a new race into the housing & sprocket arm:

that was a step forward...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #8 of 53 Old 12-23-2014, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
...2 steps back

The last time that I ran this machine, it was popping / backfiring like crazy so I also popped the head for a valve overhaul / decarb:

Nasty! That came right off with seafoam and a stiff nylon brush. I lapped the valves/seats & check clearances...all in-spec.

I figured while I was this far in, may as well check/adjust the points...when the unthinkable happened.

^^^ that's right...I sheared crankshaft!

To top things off, I may have chipped the flywheel magnet...although I'm hoping it was like this before the breakdown...but I'm not getting my hopes up:

It's hard to imagine that an engine slightly larger than a can of seafoam can power a snowblower.

Considering that I found this machine on the curb, a new crank (and possibly new flywheel) is a small investment to preserve a piece of early-70's American Iron!!

Thanks for stoppin' by!

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('80 Toro 724)

Last edited by classiccat; 12-24-2014 at 12:37 AM.
post #9 of 53 Old 12-26-2014, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
New Old Stock Crank arrived today...

within minutes of it being in my garage, the motor was disassembled...

attached to connecting rod...fasteners treated with high-strength Loctite. Lifters installed & the shafts lubricated with Moly:

camshaft installed & timing set (squint & you can see the tick marks on the crank & camshafts)...in this position, the camshaft slides right in without fighting the lifters:

the old gasket was in good shape so I lightly topped it off with RTV-red & torqued-down the sump cover after 1hr setup:

popped the head-off again & made a tweak to the intake valve:

new head gasket coated with Permatex copper:

all buttoned-up:

We're getting a nice blue spark simply turning the flywheel by hand despite the chipped magnet! If it doesn't misfire I may have dodged a bullet

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('80 Toro 724)

post #10 of 53 Old 12-26-2014, 10:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 91
Wow.. Pretty cool! I like that you have saved the TEC rather than slap a clone on it.
Oh and good to see you verified the spark with the Thexton checker, one of the go-to tools for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page