Craftsman Roller Chain Replacement? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-02-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 115
Likes (Received): 19
Question Craftsman Roller Chain Replacement?

Friends;

I have an older 10 HP/29 inch Craftsman Snow Blower, Model # 536.886331. The roller chain that runs from the drive wheel axle shaft has broken, and I need to replace it.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I begin? I can't seem to find any videos or written comments in the forums to lead me, and I'm trying to decide whether while I'm in there, it makes sense to replace the other chain, as well as the rubber disc.

Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-03-2013, 09:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
Replacing a roller chain is very easy.

It is probably a number 40 or 41 chain. ..it would be stamped on the side of each link.

You can buy chain almost anywhere. I went to grainger and got 10 feet of chain and 3 or 4 master links for $25.

The master link is the same as the regular links except it comes apart with a small clip so you don't have to disassemble anything to put the new one on.

Buy a piece of chain and a link, wrap it around the sprockets to determine the length, cut of the right amount and use the master to join the ends.

I have ordered from here but you may be able to get it nearby at a good repair shop, farm/tractor supply or hardware store:

Go Cart / Mini Bike Chains

If there is no number on the chain measure the distance on one link from the center of the pin to center of the pin and the width of the chain

Just worked on a craftsman 10 Hp 29 inch where the chain was jumping off the sprocket. It would be a good idea to spend an extra buck or two to get a half link (sometimes called a offset link) to get a nice tight fit of the chain

Last edited by td5771; 09-03-2013 at 09:50 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-03-2013, 05:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
post #4 of 8 Old 09-08-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 115
Likes (Received): 19
Thank you td5771 and Shryp for your quick reply. I pulled the bottom pan, and found the link pin and the cotter pin. Apparently the chain did not break....instead, the cotter pin came out, and then the chain fell off.

Today I put the chain back on, and replaced the cotter pin and all is well. I've also ordered a drive disc and will replace it when it arrives.

Thanks again.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-10-2013, 08:51 AM
pfn

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 11
gdnof,
FWIW, over time chain stretches, often quite a lot. When it does it eats the sprockets up and renders them useless. Most snow blower don't get enough use to have this problem but if you have an older machine I'd put on a new chain just because. As a old racer I found master links suspect and they ALWAYS fail when you are need them most. When they do break you'll never find the pieces. At least have a spare master link handy. I don't use masters at all, I peen the links together using a regular link. To date that hasn't failed.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-18-2013, 05:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
If you are going to buy a spare link i think you are actually looking for a half link. Google the difference between master links and half links to see what you have but because you said a cotter pin fell out I'm betting its a half link.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-18-2013, 09:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 266
Likes (Received): 108
I would avoid the cheap Chinese chain if I possibly could. There is real good Japanese chain though (Tsubaki) and Reynold is good American chain. A bearing supply house will have the good stuff for sure. Ya gets what ya pays for.
Larry
post #8 of 8 Old 12-02-2013, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
Yours uses a #42 roller chain. 11-387 - C-42 #42 Roller Chain 10' Roll | Go Kart & Mini Bike Parts | MFG Supply
I picked up a box of #41 at fleet farm as mine uses two chains in the wheel drive and a third for the drift breaker bar. I think it was 10 feet for 12 bucks. It's cheap but I maintain it.
Using motorcycle chain lube will help it last longer. At least at the end of the year before you store it.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page