5.5 hp model# 247.883550- Seriously need help - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-07-2014, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
5.5 hp model# 247.883550- Seriously need help

Hello,

I am new to the forum and new to snowblower repair.

The problem- will not start. If I put a little fuel in the chamber and hit the electric start it will sputter, get a little bit out the exhaust, but it will not really get going.

What I have tried- Removed the carb, cleaned the main jet, the idle screw, the float bowl, run water through the main nozzle (clear), used carb cleaner on alot of the carb.

Fuel check- put fresh fuel in, it is getting to the float bowl. If I use the corded started, then fuel gets into the carb, I notice fuel in a vapor form puffing out from where the choke plate is when pulling on the cord.

Intake manifold- Took off the spark plug, pulled the starter cord (recoil starter), and when the intake valve opened I was able to spray a little carb cleaner through it. The fluid came out the other side of the manifold where the carb would be.

Ignition test- I removed the spark plug, laid it against the engine and pulled the recoil cord starter, I could see the spark, blue in color, jumping the gap on the plug and touch onto the engine.

Here is my last observation/guess- When the carb is cleaned and attached, and I hit the electric start, it will not start but I do know fuel is leaving the main nozzle into the carb. Choke plate is closed, throttle all the way open. After I stop trying, I take the spark plug off and look into the chamber. I notice that there appears to be no fuel near the intake port/valve, it looks dry. Does this mean its not reaching the engine?

SO, is this a carb problem, a compression issue, or something else? I am really trying here but feel stumped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-07-2014, 05:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
It very much look like you need another carb clean but if I was you I would get a rebuild kit. You can verify as you did with a little more gas in the spark plug hole and see if it fires up for a few seconds. Some members here have had to clean the carb many times over and even with an electric pulse cleaner and some even found it cheaper to buy a new carb and be done with it. Just make sure you have everything else top notch like spark plug etc. Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #3 of 18 Old 12-07-2014, 05:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1112
I think you need a complete carb overhaul. if you have a compression tester by all means. feel free to check that. sounds like 1 of the passages in the body of the carb itself is plugged.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 18 Old 12-07-2014, 05:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1112
once again I forgot. ALOHA to the forms..: cool:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 18 Old 12-07-2014, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I think your right, and so is powershift. I will look at the cost of a new carb. If not then perhaps a rebuild kit. I will re-post all of this after I try one of the two. Heavily leaning towards a new carb.
post #6 of 18 Old 12-07-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
A new Carb is $90. The repair kit is $12, but its just a "repair kit". It looks like its just some o-rings and screws and a fuel inlet needle. I think a whole new carb is worth a try, if more experienced people are cleaning these carbs many times over and even then not getting good results, then the wise move I think is to go for a new carb.

But honestly, $90 for carb, do brands other than craftsman have carb issues like this?
post #7 of 18 Old 12-07-2014, 07:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 236
Thanks (Received): 275
Likes (Given): 2796
Likes (Received): 505
Hello and welcome to the forum jenkinsm2. Have you tried removing the spark plug and putting a "little" gas into the cylinder and try starting it? If it starts and runs for a few seconds, you have a carb problem that could probably be fixed with a "thorough cleaning". Here are links to the engine service manual for your Tecumseh flat head motor and carb cleaning how to by our favorite small engine mechanic - donyboy73. Your machine was manufactured for Sears by MTD, and yes other brands of snow blowers have the same problem usually caused by improper storage.

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/ma...headmanual.pdf

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 421-QZE (38585) 2008

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Last edited by Grunt; 12-07-2014 at 07:17 PM.
post #8 of 18 Old 12-07-2014, 07:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
jenk
you need to spray a little carb cleaner in the plug hole and try firing her up. It is more volatile than gasoline and will "prime" the engine. You should have 3/4 choke when you do this which should be rich enough to run once fuel starts making its way to the cylinder. You need to have a little throttle dialed in as well. After many attempts to start an engine, it needs to clear itself out to run properly. Once she starts, be ready to open the choke as soon as you can. If you have fuel exiting the main nozzle and entering the throat of the carb, it is making it to the cylinder. I wouldn't give up on your carb just yet. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
post #9 of 18 Old 12-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
When you say you cleaned the "idle screw" do you mean the torx head screw at the top of this photo. You have an idle circuit jet hidden under the little black cap just above my thumb. You can pick it off with a small screwdriver and find the brass jet behind it. Unscrew it and chase the side hole and tiny tiny hole in the tip with a bread tie wire. The tip is likely clogged and you may need to soak it in carb cleaner for a bit until the wire will go all the way in and be seen through the side hole. If you've already done that, disregard. I just did this clean on a very slightly used Poulan (fuel valve left on and stored for awhile) with a Tec 5.5hp LH195SP 67510D model, sears lists yours as LH195SP67514. I would knock out the emulsion tube and o-rings and replace those too,~$2
TECUMSEH ENGINE Parts | Model LH195SP-67514 | SearsPartsDirect
post #10 of 18 Old 12-08-2014, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
JT clays,

I removed the idle screw under the black cap, and I did use a bread tie wire on the holes on that idle screw (looks more like a bronze bolt). I have not re-assembled the carb after this cleaning but I will today and see what happens. I also used the bread tie wire to clean out the atmospheric hole that is up and to the left of the primer pump hole (it looks like the brown spot in the picture above). Thank you everyone again, I will try using carb clean to prime the engine and give it another shot. But most likley I am buying the new carb on Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page