Need help with old beast: Craftsman 536 918400 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-09-2015, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Need help with old beast: Craftsman 536 918400

Needing Help:

So I felt I took a risk in buying an older beast of a snow blower at lawnmower repair shop. We'll it's proving true, and I'm wondering if I can get some help out there.

I purchased a Craftsman 536 918400, which was guaranteed a lot more life from my salesman.

I took was stoked when it fired up in high elevation cold temps last week. I drove it out of my shed and it tipped to the left. I just thought it was the slope I was on, but then noticed my left tire was flat and came of the wheel well. I put it in reverse and muscled it back in the shed when I noticed a broken chain laying in on the ground.

Up to this point I have only been able to crack open the back end and notice one intact chain on the left side where I had the flat.

I know enough to know I don't have the skills of most of the posters on here, but thought I might get some help in replacing the chain.

I got the tire back on and replaced the link on the broken chain, but don't know how to proceed. I'm afraid I have the blower crack open now and I'll never be able to get it back together, let alone tossing snow.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-09-2015, 04:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1145
post some pics so I can have a look see.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 10 Old 01-09-2015, 04:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1145
is there a master link in the chain. is it worn???? if so you need to get a new chain. the tire let a tire shop deal with that. ALOHA from the sub-zero frozen tundra.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 10 Old 01-09-2015, 06:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Welcome!!

Lets see some pics of this beast you speak of!!!! :-)

No worries....these old machines were built for taking apart and putting back together...sbf can help!
post #5 of 10 Old 01-09-2015, 07:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Received): 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaMatt View Post
Needing Help:

So I felt I took a risk in buying an older beast of a snow blower at lawnmower repair shop. We'll it's proving true, and I'm wondering if I can get some help out there.

I purchased a Craftsman 536 918400, which was guaranteed a lot more life from my salesman.

I took was stoked when it fired up in high elevation cold temps last week. I drove it out of my shed and it tipped to the left. I just thought it was the slope I was on, but then noticed my left tire was flat and came of the wheel well. I put it in reverse and muscled it back in the shed when I noticed a broken chain laying in on the ground.

Up to this point I have only been able to crack open the back end and notice one intact chain on the left side where I had the flat.

I know enough to know I don't have the skills of most of the posters on here, but thought I might get some help in replacing the chain.

I got the tire back on and replaced the link on the broken chain, but don't know how to proceed. I'm afraid I have the blower crack open now and I'll never be able to get it back together, let alone tossing snow.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
that's an easy fix. but the internet message boards are no substitute for hands on assembly/repair/wrenching experience. your best bet is, find someone locally to take it to, or a friend/acquaintance who will actually stop by your place and re-assemble it right there.

if you buy an old machine, you either have to be ready to pay the repairs at a competent shop, or have a friend/family to fix it, or have the skills to be able to fix it yourself.

otherwise you are on a steep learning curve, and posting questions on a net message board to strangers, isn't going to help much, if you never worked on machines before. they can tell you what to do, but in the process of reading that, then actually doing it, you are going to run into problems in the interpretation and actual hands on work.

if I can make an analogy or allegory, it would be like me wanting to do brain surgery for the first time, and posting on a MD message board, for tips and help.

you have to be a doctor first. you don't start right off doing surgery on day one. you work up to that point over a period of many years.

a snowblower isn't as complex as brain surgery, but sometimes it almost is. to make another comparison, if someone who never worked on cars before, pulled the back wheel off their car, and drum, and disassembled the brakes all over the ground, the way to learn it and get back running, is NOT post on the net looking for answers.

you need someone there who knows what they are doing, to show you first hand.

having said all this, the machine is a good one, it's an 8/26 with a headlight, and big 14" impeller. it may or may not be a gear drive ? it's a good machine to have and use in deep snows. a chain replacement/repair is usually an easy fix. but it's not the type of thing anyone can help you with, without even SEEING it. we don't even have pictures.

again, the net message boards are not a dial-a-mechanic. one becomes proficient at repairing machinery from many years of taking them apart. and not every mechanic, is a good teacher.

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines
post #6 of 10 Old 01-09-2015, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 337
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhitebuffalo View Post
if you buy an old machine, you either have to be ready to pay the repairs at a competent shop, or have a friend/family to fix it, or have the skills to be able to fix it yourself.
I agree with that...
but you are missing a 4th option:

if you buy an old machine, you either have to be ready to pay the repairs at a competent shop, have a friend/family to fix it, have the skills to be able to fix it yourself, or LEARN to fix it yourself!

Quote:
otherwise you are on a steep learning curve, and posting questions on a net message board to strangers, isn't going to help much, if you never worked on machines before. they can tell you what to do, but in the process of reading that, then actually doing it, you are going to run into problems in the interpretation and actual hands on work.

if I can make an analogy or allegory, it would be like me wanting to do brain surgery for the first time, and posting on a MD message board, for tips and help.

you have to be a doctor first. you don't start right off doing surgery on day one. you work up to that point over a period of many years.

a snowblower isn't as complex as brain surgery, but sometimes it almost is. to make another comparison, if someone who never worked on cars before, pulled the back wheel off their car, and drum, and disassembled the brakes all over the ground, the way to learn it and get back running, is NOT post on the net looking for answers.

you need someone there who knows what they are doing, to show you first hand.

having said all this, the machine is a good one, it's an 8/26 with a headlight, and big 14" impeller. it may or may not be a gear drive ? it's a good machine to have and use in deep snows. a chain replacement/repair is usually an easy fix. but it's not the type of thing anyone can help you with, without even SEEING it. we don't even have pictures.

again, the net message boards are not a dial-a-mechanic. one becomes proficient at repairing machinery from many years of taking them apart. and not every mechanic, is a good teacher.
I mostly disagree with the rest..I don't think those are valid analogies..
a message board is a GREAT place to learn how to become a doctor..
(or at least a nurse! which is often all the snowblower needs)
for many of us, its the ONLY place..

I myself am a perfect example..
I bought my 1971 Ariens in 2009..at the time I knew *nothing* about how to work on it..I got my first problem quickly! a carb leaking gas..I had never taken a carb apart in my life, didnt know how they worked, had no clue what to do first to fix it..I had NO one, in person, to go to..so where did I go? The internet! This forum, the Red Square Wheel Horse forum, and Donyboy on youtube have taught me *everything* I now know about working on snowblowers and Garden tractors..which is now quite a lot!

People told me what to do, I learned what to do, and did it!
I fixed the carb leak..

I have never once had anyone come over in person. So yeah, a forum like this is a GREAT place to learn!
For me, the internet IS "dial a mechanic"..and it serves that purpose very well.. I have learned a TON over the past six years, and am still learning all the time.

sure, if you do have a friend or relative, thats great! and I agree that could be *better* than the internet..but..not everyone has that..and if you dont, there is nothing wrong with learning from the internet..Its why this forum and hundreds like it exist..and they do the job just fine.

Scot

Last edited by sscotsman; 01-09-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
post #7 of 10 Old 01-09-2015, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 337
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 768
And I can take it a step further!
My entire "snowblower hobby" exists as a direct result of, and literally because of, the internet.

It was the internet that first taught me the difference between new low-end Big Box
snowblowers and classic USA 1960's and 70's snowblowers..and thats what led
to me buying a 1971 Ariens instead of a new $500 Troy-Bilt.

If not for the internet, I would have literally *never heard of* Wheel Horse or
Snowbird..If this was 1985 or 1995, instead of 2015, I would probably only
have a Big Box snowblower and a Big Box cheap lawn tractor..because I wouldnt
know any better...and I would probably be having a lot more problems with them.

So, THANK YOU internet! My entire Snowblower and Tractor hobby is a direct
result of your existence..The machines themselves, learning how to work on them, and my webpages which are a result of the machines, and which is also a huge and enjoyable part of the hobby for me.

Scot's Ariens and Wheel Horse Pages

Sure, not everyone needs the internet quite this much for their hobbies!
and for some of us on this forum a snowblower isnt a "hobby", its just a tool..
and thats fine of course..
but even if your snowblower is only a tool, the internet is still a fine
place to learn how to maintain or repair it..

Scot

Last edited by sscotsman; 01-09-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
post #8 of 10 Old 01-09-2015, 07:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Received): 291
Is the chain the "third stage" still in place? It's the top smaller auger on those machines, that has a chain that powers it off of the main auger.

Here's a video showing the the "third stage." Prior to reconnecting, remove spark plug wire, and make sure that the bearings to that stage are free spinning.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-10-2015, 07:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
The 536.918400 is a good, solid blower. I've rebuilt quite a few comparable units.
Get some pictures of your problem and post them. I've probably already done whatever and should be able to help some.
I also have a manual for a slightly bigger unit and similar 2 stage units. If you want something, send me a pm with your email address and I can send them out.

Paul
post #10 of 10 Old 02-17-2015, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
Sears still shows some availability on those chains but if you're going to need two or more it's likely less expensive to visit fleet farm, tractor supply or a hardware store and pick up a length of #40 chain and some master links and make your own. That's what I did on my drift breaker and I replaced all three chains.

WHEEL ASSEMBLY Diagram & Parts List for Model 536918400 Craftsman-Parts All-Products-Parts | SearsPartsDirect

Tru-Pitch Regular Roller Chain - Mills Fleet Farm

http://www.truevalue.com//catalog/product.jsp?productId=56506&parentCategoryId=0&typ e=product&cid=gooshop&source=google_pla&9gtype={if search:search}{ifcontent:content}&9gkw={keyword}&9 gad={creative}.1&9gpla={placement}

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page