2 stage
22" path
4 speeds forward
1 speed reverse
5 HP
electric start & pull start
Runs Good

The code is 9302 serial #536918700

I was snowblowing with my 5/22 last night and I hit an object that caused the auger to stop. The object got wedged inbetween auger and housing. Got the object out and tried to use the snowblower but the auger won't turn, just the impellar. Sheer pins did not break, what else could be this issue? Is there a belt, chain that may have let lose and broke, or could it be auger gearbox that broke? I can turn the auger and axle all as one, but when you try to engage the lower auger with controls, it wont turn. The top impellar will though?

Thanks

Thanks

Last edited by aggriffin3; 01-09-2015 at 04:07 PM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-09-2015, 08:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
So you are saying the impeller (part that throws the snow up the chute) is spinning, but the augers (corkscrews that pull the snow towards the center of the machine) are not turning?

That is bad news as it means the auger gear is most likely broken. Sears wants $63 for that part. Shop around as you might find it cheaper elsewhere. You will also need some new grease, some gasket material and maybe some bushings. You might be at around $85 for parts there already.

You blower looks pretty old so maybe it is time to look into upgrading. Also, older blowers tend to have the augers rust to their axle which defeats the shear pins. That could be what happened to yours and if that is the case it could be a nightmare to get apart.

Spend at least an hour or so trying to get things apart before going shopping, but you might have some bad news there. You may get lucky and only need a $2 pin that holds the gear to the shaft.

There is a belt / chain that engages those parts up front, but they all work off of one belt. So it half of it is working something is wrong it that center gear box.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 23 Old 01-09-2015, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 3
I just bought it last yr paid 160.00, but it appears to not have any rust on axle or auger. The auger did turn very weakly, and if I can hear correctly, I can hear a little bit of rattling noise coming from that center gear. Not sure. The previous owner may have just used bolts and not sheer bolts.
Not good

Thanks

Art
post #4 of 23 Old 01-09-2015, 10:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
More than likely you still have something stuck between the auger rake and auger housing (I've seen that on that model).

If you can turn the auger rakes without the engine running, either you have a broken shear pin or broke the auger gearcase.

Test: pull the sparkplug, remove the belt cover along with the belt furthest from the engine. Can you turn the pulley? If not there is something still jammed in the auger assembly is the most likely cause.
If you can turn the pulley, does the auger rakes turn along with the impeller shaft? If not then it's likely the auger gearcase.

Let us know, may be able to help.

Update - forgot to mention when trying to turn the pulley, there's a brake pad on the control so insure there's nothing stopping the pulley from turning.

Last edited by HCBPH; 01-10-2015 at 08:04 AM.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-09-2015, 11:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
+1 on the tests above ^^^.

best case, hopefully you just fried the belt.

sometimes the auger is seized to the auger shaft (rust, old grease, etc.)...rendering the shear bolts useless. While you're down there, remove the shear bolts and see if the auger spins.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #6 of 23 Old 01-09-2015, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I will get into the guts of this machine tomorrow morning. Luckily I had a spare JD single stage that I can use for the smaller snowfalls.
How easy is it to find auger gearcase locally, Sears etc. or at this age, is this something I will have to order. Does it interchange with anything else out there that a local repair shop would be able to use?

Thanks again guys

Art
post #7 of 23 Old 01-10-2015, 08:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
IIRC Sears still sells all the gearcase parts, can't speak to the price though as I don't remember. Thing is, all the machines whether 4 or 5 hp whether 536.918xxx or 536.882xxx with either the red and white or black and gray paintjobs pretty much interchange. You can swap all the parts within the same width auger or even swap out the auger assemblies entirely.

The biggest problem I find with this model is the auger rakes are rusted onto the auger shaft due to neglect. Usually takes heat, penetrating oil and a hydraulic press to get them off if there's rust. Even if you have to rebuild the auger gearcase, it's not hard to do but that one bronze gear or case sides might be pricey. Sometimes it's easier and cheaper to find a parts machine instead.

Better to find out though if it's actually the gearcase or not first. I'm still betting it's something jammed in there as I've seen that before with someone that blew some graveled driveway and got a rock caught between the rake and the housing.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-11-2015, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
So I got into it today and turned the pulley, just the inpellar turns. As far as the auger is concern, it turns by hand, so nothing more stuck to prevent it from turning. I assume its the gear case. I will price the repair through a local repair guy, and price it based on parts found with me doing the repair. Doesnt sound like something I am going to tackle this winter. (Not heat in my garage) I was going to do a partial restoration on it this spring, so I will just wait until then to take it apart and do some painting and maintenance on it then.
Until then, its back to my JD single stage, which I hate.

Art

Thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01515_fRwndmbguXA_600x450.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	34953   Click image for larger version

Name:	00D0D_3Lu5dFZ1CQs_600x450.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	34961  
post #9 of 23 Old 01-11-2015, 01:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggriffin3 View Post
So I got into it today and turned the pulley, just the inpellar turns. As far as the auger is concern, it turns by hand, so nothing more stuck to prevent it from turning. I assume its the gear case. Thanks guys
If the augers turns, you should remove both shear pins (one each side) and see when you turn the augers again if they are free from the shaft inside it, if one auger is free from the shaft then check if the shear pins,bolts are not regular bolts grade 3 or higher. If the auger isn't free from the shaft then you should start first to free it as it would be primordial as HCBPH mentioned because it may have been the cause of the gear case breakdown. Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-11-2015, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yeah, both augers are rusted on to the axle. Now to figure out how to get them loose. I do not have a torch by the way.

Art
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page