LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-30-2015, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 3
Broke auger shaft

Hi Guys. I have a mint 10/28 older craftsmen 2 that i stupidly used bolts instead of shear pins resulting in a completly severed auger shaft. My question is i called sears canada looking for the part and they tell me that they no longer supply parts for my machine. I have not been able to find much out from the modle number i have of it but i do see many of the same blowers for sale around so they cant be that rare. I am not sure if it is even worth fixing at this point but i can say that it seems to be built a **** of a lot tougher than the highest end ariens that they want an insane 3000+ for.. any help or input would be appreciated.. The model number is c950-52810-9.. It is the grey body machines with the older looking motor

I am going to try to attach a picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-30-2015, 06:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Check your local craigslist for similar machines which might have blown engines or other problems. Most likely a similar style front end or gear box will swap right in. If that fails contact a local machine shop as a simple axle shouldn't be too much trouble or expense.

Are you sure your issue is the actual shaft and not the gears in the front? More often the gears break, but there have been a couple instances of the whole shaft breaking. Or is yours old enough to be chain drive?

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-30-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
no it is belt drive but the shaft is definitly in two pecies..i have opened up the differential and the gears are good..even got the worm gear off the broken shaft but lost some of the needles out of that flat needle bearing thats in there...i cant seem to get the auger pulley off to get the shaft out of the housing yet...i think that you are right best way to fix it is to just find a new front end...or get a new machine..i usually spend 4-6 hours of soild snowblowing each storm to clean my driveway...are those ariens really worth the money? I cant seem to upload a picture of my machine here
post #4 of 12 Old 01-30-2015, 06:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
The older Ariens seem to work great and a lot of people seem happy with the newer ones. There does seem to be some people having issues with the auto turn though. Other brands worth looking at would be Toro, Honda and Yamaha. I would go with used, but that is up to you. Sounds like your machines get quite the workout. If you have the space maybe see about keeping 2. Summer is always the best time to buy price wise.

For pictures it works best if you have an external image hosting site and just embed them. Some people attach them in the advanced editor (paper clip link).

For removal of stubborn pulleys a puller is best. Some people use the bolt style pullers and drill 2 or 3 holes in the pulleys as close to the center hub as possible. Any prying on the outer edge of a large pulley is going to bend it up pretty badly.

Last edited by Shryp; 01-30-2015 at 07:01 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-30-2015, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
thanks for the tip on getting the pulley off. I do have two machines,,well down to one now..gotta have a back up for crap like this..lol.. this is the first year i didnt have a 50 hp tractor with a 7 foot snowblower to clean this driveway and so far it is definitly not as much fun any more...lol

the one to the right is the one i broke
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-05 18.31.31 - Copy.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	38457  
post #6 of 12 Old 01-30-2015, 07:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Looks like a Murray built machine. Not sure what part number would cross over for you though.

post #7 of 12 Old 01-31-2015, 11:59 AM
Sid

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 32
Type in Murray snowblower parts, there are several sites to look at. I found just about everything I needed for two Murrays.
Sid
post #8 of 12 Old 01-31-2015, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
it is the machine on the far right in the picture...it is a craftsman snowblower...are you telling me murry parts will interchange with it? My only other snowblower is a 25 year old craftsman and it is barely running. trying to clean this much driveway with snowblowers is rediculous. it is at least a km of road....sure am missing my tractor..
post #9 of 12 Old 01-31-2015, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
even looking up under murry looks like the shaft is an obsolete part now..they told me that on the phone when i called craftsman as well. out to the metal pile with it
post #10 of 12 Old 02-01-2015, 12:28 PM
Sid

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 32
If the number starts with 536. it probably is a murray. B&S owns Murray, and a lot of on line sites have parts and some have parts diagrams also.Just type in Murray parts, and your year of mfgr. You will find quite a bit of info.
Sid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page