post #1 of 17 Old 02-04-2015, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
JnC

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 58
Thanks (Received): 128
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 171
Seized 2 stroke Craftsman

So a few months ago someone gave me an older craftsman 2 stroke snowblower, model # 536884680. Its a 5hp 21" cut. The thing hadn't been used for over 10 years.

I brought it home, put some gas in it, some starter fluid and thing fired right up. Put it away to be used later, a week later when I went to use it the machine just wont start up regardless of what I did, took the carb off, serviced it clean and put the blower back in service.

It had been running like a champ since then, got at least 4 hours of solid workout from it during the huge storm on the 27th and also the one a few days ago. Whilst using it yesterday the engine just stopped working. Leading up to that point it didnt make any funny noises etc, the rpms started going down as if the machine was under heavy load, then it just stalled.

Tried to start it back up, it did start only to die a few seconds later.

So I guess I have a seized motor as the pull cord would not budge regardless how much I try, I also tried turning the crank but no luck their either.

Took the exhaust off and I can see the piston, seems to look bright and shiny without any score marks. I know the only way to find out whats wrong with it is to open the motor but in the meantime I wanted to get some ideas on the matter from people who have been working on 2 stroke motors in the past.

I am really hoping that their isnt some irreversible damage to the motor and that its only a seized crankshaft bearing as I fell in love with this little machine over the past week
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-04-2015, 06:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1631
Likes (Received): 571
i use to work part time at a shop that repaired motorcycles, we took in a lot of old two stroke dirt bikes that hadn't been run for years from customers. the first few did as your craftsman did. we decided to try a few with some extra oil mixed in and while they smoked like crazy none of them seized. in your case at least it was a freebee

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #3 of 17 Old 02-04-2015, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
JnC

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
i use to work part time at a shop that repaired motorcycles, we took in a lot of old two stroke dirt bikes that hadn't been run for years from customers. the first few did as your craftsman did. we decided to try a few with some extra oil mixed in and while they smoked like crazy none of them seized. in your case at least it was a freebee

Plan is to see if I can fix the current motor, if not then a replacement motor can be had for around $50, I'd hate to give up on the blower as the little gerbil chews through snow like there is no tomorrow.
post #4 of 17 Old 02-04-2015, 09:09 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
tsake some mmo and diesel, make a 50/50 mix and let it soak the piston. put the plug back in, and let it sit overnight and soak, turn the crankshaft with a wrench until it breaks free. run it rich for the rest of its life to prevent future lock ups. works 80% of the time for me on trimmers
post #5 of 17 Old 02-04-2015, 01:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I wonder if the rings were sticking and got caught on one of the ports.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-04-2015, 08:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
I wonder if the rings were sticking and got caught on one of the ports.
Could be, or one of the rings let loose and did essentially that. You'll need to take the carb and muffler off their JnC to determine that.

I would also loosen the spark plug, and see if there is a pressure release. It might have also flooded, and hydro-locked. Especially if everything looks bright and shiny, the cylinder seal may just be that pristine.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-04-2015, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
JnC

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by db9938 View Post
Could be, or one of the rings let loose and did essentially that. You'll need to take the carb and muffler off their JnC to determine that.

I would also loosen the spark plug, and see if there is a pressure release. It might have also flooded, and hydro-locked. Especially if everything looks bright and shiny, the cylinder seal may just be that pristine.

This is my first time venturing into the 2 stroke world, one quick side note here about the events that led up to the seizing point. I had used the blower in the AM for 10 minutes before it stalled on me. Started it up, it worked for a few seconds then stalled again, this happened a couple of times before I realized I was out of fuel, silly me.

Put in fresh mixed fuel in the tank, go to start the blower and it wouldnt start, usually it started right away with the choke on. I tried yanking the cord for a good minute before giving up and pulling the blower back into the shop for later use.

After about 5 hours I tried starting it and same thing, it just wouldnt start. Threw in a whole bunch of starting fluid in the carb and tried my luck again, there you go the thing fired up, sputtered for a few seconds before finally getting into rhythm.

From that point on it worked for about 10 minutes before finally seizing.

Do all these preceding events indicate a flooded motor?

Motor is off of the chassis and is getting pulled open on Friday.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-04-2015, 11:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 291
Hmm, I don't think so. Might try removing the spark plug, the shroud, and see if the flywheel will reverse direction.

You may also try using the blunt end of a pen to see how close the piston is to TDC. It probably should be just a hair past the end of what the depth of the plug is.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks JnC thanked for this post
post #9 of 17 Old 02-06-2015, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
JnC

Post Thanks / Like
As suspected, one of the two bearings on the crankshaft was seized, sort of a relief as the rest of the motor looks great.

post #10 of 17 Old 02-06-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
JnC

Post Thanks / Like
So I am ready to install the piston back in the cylinder, one issue though, how are the ring gaps suppose to be oriented? The piston does not have locating pins in the grooves, so I have nothing to go by, any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page