LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 02-16-2015, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Blower goes in reverse but not forward

I have a Model # 536886350. Basic problem is there is no forward in any gear unless I lift it off the ground. Reverse is fine and has plenty of force. It was being used recently going through snow banks with out any problem. I was doing a walk and was moving fine. I put it in reverse, backed out and put it in forward. From there it wouldn't move. I googled the problem and got many friction disc problems. The wheel rubber is in good shape. No flat spots, missing chunks. The wheel goes firmly against the friction disk when the lever is used in any gear. I cleaned the disk just to make sure any oil might have got on it. What I didn't understand is why I have reverse and no forward. What also found is the chain that goes over the sprocket that is attached to the hex shaft looked worn. I put the machine on a couple of blocks so I could see the underneath. I grabbed the friction disk and turned it as it would going forward. The chain can skip the teeth with a good amount of force. With all this said, is the sprocket just worn out or is there something else. Like I said I don't understand how the forward just quit all of a sudden. Is this a possible solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-16-2015, 01:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Received): 52
Try adjusting the drive cable. for the friction wheel. You may not have enough engagement. Check the owners manual for any other friction wheel adjustments. Also, inspect the friction wheel for contamination, such as oil.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
post #3 of 19 Old 02-16-2015, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor City View Post
Try adjusting the drive cable. for the friction wheel. You may not have enough engagement. Check the owners manual for any other friction wheel adjustments. Also, inspect the friction wheel for contamination, such as oil.
I have the cable as tight as possible. The wheel and disk were cleaned. What I'm trying to find out and looked through countless forums is why I have reverse and no forward unless the machine is off the ground. If the friction disk was no good or dirty with no grab, wouldn't I lose reverse too? Reverse can push me back on snow pack ground and I weigh 225. That's how it moves in reverse, just slides over right? And the wheel does move from one side to the other.

I have the manual and nothing there other then the friction disk.
post #4 of 19 Old 02-16-2015, 03:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Received): 52
The friction whee does just slide from one side to the other. You may have reverese, because of the way the wheel has worn. Could the cable be stretched nad your still not getting good engagement? I'd have to say it though, sounds like you need a new friction wheel.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
post #5 of 19 Old 02-16-2015, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor City View Post
The friction whee does just slide from one side to the other. You may have reverese, because of the way the wheel has worn. Could the cable be stretched nad your still not getting good engagement? I'd have to say it though, sounds like you need a new friction wheel.
Well I ended up jacking up the machine and setting the tires on blocks and the chute against the wall. Cranked it up and C-clamp the lever down. ( this is how much I hate shoveling) I laid down behind it to see what's going underneath. Sort of like an insects view. What I saw was the chain that goes on the disc jack shaft just staying still but the little sprocket spinning away. I haven't taken it apart yet but I can see wear the teeth are worn to a point that look like knives. With weight on the drive it would skip. With no weight the chain had just enough grab to spin the tires. When I was cleaning the friction wheel and plate, I could grab friction wheel and make the chain skip the sprocket by hand. I wanted to verify it running before condemning it. I still don't know how the reverse works. The machine wasn't in the best spots to find out.

Is this a rare problem because I have not found another like it online.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-18-2015, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Got my part in today and plan on installing it this weekend. I've read that this is not a quick and easy job. If anyone reading this and has done one on a model or similar model like mine installed one before? Just looking for a few things to make it go easier.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-18-2015, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
I went to sears (partsdirect.com) to take a look but the diagram is less than helpful. My suggestion is to take a lot of photos so you know where that part in your hand is supposed to go once you're going back together with it.

Maybe someone with the model will be more helpful, sorry.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 02-22-2015 at 08:27 PM.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-22-2015, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I started to tear into this tonight. From what I could find on this job which was very little is the bolt the holds the right side of the jackshaft and goes into the bearing is ridiculous to get to. This is the back one. I found this out. I've got the axle out, hex shaft out and the friction plate up. I can't get a wrench on it. Even if the head of the bolt was lined up I can't spin it. I added a picture of it. If you look at the right gear, you can see the bearing. I've got the front bolt off.

Blower goes in reverse but not forward-snowgear.jpg

Any help with this would be great.
post #9 of 19 Old 02-22-2015, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
Maybe if you post a photo with the drive axle and friction disc shaft out the description of what you're trying to do would make more sense ??

Have you figured out how reverse works yet ? If not this might help

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-22-2015, 09:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 65
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 176
Likes (Received): 5
Good luck . Looks like my sears 9 hp machine I think My is 15 Years old
!

Any more photo what size and year . Good luck .

eyeboltman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in