LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 10-24-2015, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 38
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 1
sears blower with tracks??

im a new member to the forum and was wondering if anyone is familiar with a sears tracked unit like a mini-bulldozer, 8hp 2 stage, i am considering buying one for 485 bucks,seems in good condition,this one lets you tilt the chasis up several ways,rubber tracks are in good condition, seller claims everything works well. any comments here good or bad,honda make these tracked units and yamaha did also but they are....expensive,i had set a budget of 500 bucks max to buy a used unit for,im hoping the tracked unit can climb up one stair so i can blow off my front walkway.id sure appreciate everyones thoughts here on this prospective purchase.

hond hs621
sears 8/26
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-24-2015, 07:40 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 353
Likes (Received): 586
Garage
welcome to the forum lardness !! i do see a few of those tracked craftsman blowers on my local kijiji, but dont get a good feeling about the ones i see. i would do a ton of research on parts availability and price before i made that purchase. would a small ramp for winter and a wheeled unit be an option ?
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks lardness1 thanked for this post
post #3 of 21 Old 10-24-2015, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
thanks for advice nwcove,ill get the model no.from him,im guessing this unit is 10-15years old so im hoping parts are avail,id love a honda tracked unit but they are too much dough.the ramp idea i hadnt though of,it would definitely allow my wheeled unit to climb it but id planned on selling the sears now that it is in good repair.thanks again,love the site and forums.

hond hs621
sears 8/26
post #4 of 21 Old 10-25-2015, 07:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
I'll throw my 2 cents in here. I have worked on an older unit, can't remember the model but it was gray in color and probably a model 536xxxxx something or other. It was a 10 hp tracked unit with a friction disc drive.
The problem is the wheels and tracks can rust up and when that happens, they're a bear to fix. In particular the wheels that aren't driven can rust up on the shafts. I eventually got them off and found a spot with enough material on the hub of each wheel that I could drill and thread for a grease zerk. Additionally the tracks themselves rusted. IIRC, the tracs for that one are no longer available.
If it was me, I'd either do the same thing if you can or pull it apart and put antiseize on all the shafts with the tread and oil the joints in the tracks.
There is an upside here too, from what I remember it was a wheeled unit they swapped out the wheels for gears and tracks. If something went bad, I believe you can convert it back to wheels.

Last edited by HCBPH; 10-25-2015 at 07:24 AM.
post #5 of 21 Old 10-25-2015, 08:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 42
Hi Lardness
I would stay away from tracked units...they are harder to work on and parts are harder to come by. There is a reason why you see so few of them around. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
post #6 of 21 Old 10-25-2015, 08:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
I would stay away from that, because it made by mtd. They are known to have cracked frames. Only honda and the newer ariens have good track drives. One step, you could build a small ramp out a 2x6 if you buy a wheeled blower.

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #7 of 21 Old 10-25-2015, 01:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 374
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ariens View Post
I would stay away from that, because it made by mtd. They are known to have cracked frames. Only honda and the newer ariens have good track drives. One step, you could build a small ramp out a 2x6 if you buy a wheeled blower.
Do not exclude tracked yamahas as well
post #8 of 21 Old 10-25-2015, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
thanksguys very much for all the input, i will rethink my purchase for sure.the only saving grace here is that the guy selling it has kept it in super shape and everything on machine is either greased or lubricated,this guy has a bunch of old vintage garden tractors too. so hes like all the gearheads on this site.im just discovering the joys of the snowblower world,but like a lot of you i like pretty much anything with a motor in it,a lifetime sickness

hond hs621
sears 8/26
post #9 of 21 Old 10-27-2015, 03:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I saw one on craigslist and it looks almost the same as the "4x4" model I got a few months at a garage sale. It's made by MTD, and parts are available. It ran OK but turned in only one direction. I did have to do a complete removal of the various drive parts, replace the friction drive disk rubber, lube everything, add some shims to remove slop from a drive axle, replace a couple of bushings, and stretch the chassis to relieve some friction in the output drive shaft. I also replaced the carb since it was about $15 + shipping. Seems pretty solid now. Total parts cost $55 but about 16 hours of labor I'd guess, including some head scratching time.
post #10 of 21 Old 10-28-2015, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
thanks again to all the posters for feedbag and suggestions,ive consoled myself with buying an older ariens project blower,all there and not running....but ran last year according to former owner,we shall see,again built like a 65 olds 98,ha.that 4x4 that oliverland scoooped for a hundred bucks looks interesting,good price too.

hond hs621
sears 8/26
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page